• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Introductions, first precision rifle (Rem 700 SPS)

UTex86

Private
Minuteman
Aug 13, 2011
Texas
Hello everyone. I'm new here and have just started to venture into precision rifles. Up until this point my experience with guns has been in pistols, shotguns, ARs, AKs, etc.

I just picked this Remington 700 SPS Tactical up as my starter:

IMG_0316.jpg

I have a 20moa badger base and badger rings coming in, along with a Leupold MK4 4.5-14x40 scope.

For now that is all that will be done with it, gear-wise. I'll spend hunting season behind it in this configuration, then start more customization after the season once I have determined what I feel the rifle needs.

Can't wait to shoot it and see what I/it can do!

Re: Introductions, first precision rifle (Rem 700 SPS)

Welcome, did the same thing. Bought the same gun to build a LR rifle (308 ?). So far I have added a HS Precision stock, Nikon Monarch 5-20 Warne rings and Burris mounts, harris bipod. This weekend installed a Timney trigger.

003.jpg

That is a good place to start and those components should serve you well.
I would suggest a $75 trigger job as well as a lot of time behind the rifle.

Nice. I take it in 308. I also have a SPS tactical and the first thing you need to dump is the stock. A proper tuned remington trigger is nice but if you are on a budget I would say get a timney and if you aren't on a budget get a jewel as long as your not using it as a field rifle. Jewel triggers don't like dirt that much.

Yep it's a 308.

For now the trigger is so much better than anything I'm used to (ARs, AKs) that it feels amazing to me.

The rifle I've hunted with up until now is a .303 enfield with a Nikon prostaff and what feels like a 10lb pull (still did very well with it).

But for now I think I'll leave it as is until I build enough skill to be able to discern a difference between the stock trigger and an upgrade.

The issue on the Hogue overmold is that it flexes somwhat especialy when using a bipod. I took some fiberglass maerial and cut it to the size of the "compartments" in the forend, then filled it with fiberglass resin. It did stiffen up the stock and didn't cost much. I know what you mean about the .303 because I carried my Polish M44 to the range and fired it after the Remy. Seemed like I could stand on the trigger without it going off.

PS my oldest son graduated from UT '01 HOOK EM HORNS !
rem5-22-22007.jpg

You may be impressed now but are ignorant to what you could have and do with that rifle.
An excellent trigger will help you shoot better and is a small investment to eek out the best you, as a shooter, are capable of.
Good ammo helps too.

Been down this road a few times and learned from my mistakes. Just trying to help.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RHutch</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You may be impressed now but are ignorant to what you could have and do with that rifle.
An excellent trigger will help you shoot better and is a small investment to eek out the best you, as a shooter, are capable of.
Good ammo helps too.

Been down this road a few times and learned from my mistakes. Just trying to help.</div></div>

I appreciate the advice.

I've done some research and have big plans for this rifle down the road (match barrel, true the action, new stock/bedding, upgraded trigger) but I don't know that I have the skill at this point to appreciate those things.

For ammo I picked up some federal gold medal match. What do you think of this ammo? Any other ammo suggestions?

I have this gun in a .223, the action is good and the trigger is ok but the stock is just terrible. Its just so flimsy, if you have it up on a bipod (or front rest) and rear bag just slightly push anywhere on the top of the rifle while looking down the scope. You will notice the crosshairs all over the place. I would replace it with a HS Precision takeoff from someone selling one here on the hide in the used section. They are not hard to find and can be had from around $200-$225 shipped. This is a good stock for the money. This gun for me was a budget gun and I didn’t want to spend a lot of money on it but that stock just had to go. My .308 has a Jewell trigger in it and I would like to replace the SPS Tactical trigger with a Jewell someday but for now it shoots good (under MOA) with just the stock replaced.

I have an SPS Tac. 308 and can say this, aside from the stock and a good scope it really doesn't need anything else. You dont NEED an after market trigger. The way mine is setup its nicer than most aftermarket ones anyway. Highly recommend the Manners or an AICS down the line, they make everything fit and feel ten times better. For ammo check out the Nosler Custom Competition 168gr. Just my opinion.

Just put that Leuy on it and start slinging some lead down the range!

UPS tracking says my scope and rings will be here today.

I hope to be able to get it put together and take it out this weekend.

Also yesterday I was talking to my boss about this new rig, and he told me he just picked up an Armalite AR50. Talk about a thunder stealer haha.

Took Remmy to the range today

This is me getting zeroed at 50 yards. First two were top right. Moved left but forgot at 50 yards 1/4 MOA clicks = 1/8th inch lol. Corrected windage then moved down and ended up right on the zero. Put 5 shots in there then moved to 100 yards

IMG_0328.jpg

This is me being all over the place at 100 yards. Worst groups are about 1.5", best is about 5/8"

IMG_0329.jpg

At this point I took a little break and refocused, also I think the barrel is starting to be break in

IMG_0330.jpg

I went right to left on this, last group (farthest left) is a 5 shot group, the rest are 3, 100 yards.

This is all 168gr Federal Gold Medal Match.

I think this is a .5 MOA rifle as it sits, I just need more practice (last 5 groups were all ~1/2" at 100 yards)

I could really notice my heart beat moving the rifle - are there techniques for overcoming this and getting the rifle more steady? Despite having a bipod I was shooting with sandbags up front.

I'm a n00b at this still so any help/resources are appreciated.

Looks like a good start. Nice groups for your first time out. Check out the FAQs on this forum for some good basics. I have heard alot of good things about the scope you are using. I shot mine today moving out to 300 yds. Talk about heart beat everthing really magnifies the farther out you go. I am going to have to find another range to go much farther.

They are a good shooter for the money. Droped mine in a htg stock and put a mark4 3x10 m3 on it. With a handload I can get 3/8 of a inch. Had a smith lighten the trigger and it made all the difference.

Looks like you settled into some nice groups at the end there. Seems like the majority of the SPSs are decent shooters right out of the box