• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Precision Rifle Gear Investing in a scope…. Thoughts

category_theory

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Apr 5, 2020
SF Bay Area
Ok…. So I have a little money to burn here and I wanted to see what the peanut gallery thought…
I already own fairly lower tier scopes, a Vortex PST Viper Gen 1, and a Vortex Strike Eagle.

I (obviously) mostly do medium to long range, 500-1500 and want to go out further as I become better. That said I haven’t had ANY problem with either scope, for both 6.5cm and 300PRC out to 1500. 2nd or 3rd shot I’m normally on steel. Granted there is some chromatic aberration sometimes but it hasn’t effected my shooting…. At least thus far. I can generally do what other folks are doing as far as range w a scope that’s significantly less.

So the question is, I funds to invest in perhaps a Tract Tori’s or the Delta Stryker or the Bushnell XRS 3, (sub 2k range) but is it worth it or do I get another piece of cheaper glass like say the Arken EP5 (I’ve read and could be wrong that they are using Japanese ED glass like the others listed) and put money else where…..

Thanks and sorry if this is a silly question that’s been asked a million times!

The higher end Vortex scopes give a lot of bang for the buck. You can double the price before you get something better (unless light weight is critical to you).

Reactions: Baron23
The higher end Vortex scopes give a lot of bang for the buck. You can double the price before you get something better (unless light weight is critical to you).
Which models? I don’t see a sub 2k ish long range model that they offer….? I was thinking that they seem to missing a price point and market here….

Burris PRO or the Leupold Mark 5 would be my top two choices in the 2K-ish price point.
I don't think you can get better glass for the price after sitting behind both / side by side for several hours.
Burris Pro vs Bushnell XRS 3….? I do like the 36x

I have a PST Gen II 5-25 and a Razor Gen II 4.5-27 - both would loosely fit your budget (used Razor sub $2k, new razor slightly over $2k). I’ve shot PRS matches with both, really appreciate the Razor’s glass quality at distance.

The PST Gen II is a big step up over the Gen I - it’s a value at the price point. You can certainly spend more to step up from that point, and likely should for glass quality if you intend to shoot beyond 1,000 yards and have the means to do so.

I’d pass on the Razor Gen I linked above - it’s just not a value for me at that price.

The Leupold MK5 and Kahles K624i fit that price range (loosely, but not too far off). I haven’t owned them, but friends have and they really like the scopes.

Do you have a local long range or PRS match you could go to? Most people will let you look through their scopes if you ask nicely - looking through them helps a lot.

Coming from what you have now, you’ll be really happy with any of those choices. Pick what’s important to you and buy one.

It’s a silly question that’s been asked a million times, and will likely be asked a million more. Reading the internet alone likely can’t answer the question - try and look through some glass if you can.

I also think it’s a good idea to look through them if possible. If you prefer a certain style reticle . That may help narrow it down also.

There are lots of good options in the used market in your price range.
I'd suggest you look into that over new.

That being said, if you want a Vortex scope, you should give @LibertyOptics Scott at Liberty Optics a call on the phone, he can often get you a surprisingly good deal.

Reactions: category_theory
I’ve had a PST2 now for a few years, at the price they go for now, hell of a deal. But if you want to step it up, check with some of the vendors here, the open box and demo deals they have are awesome and generally save you $200ish over retail

not that I am you but Id buy another delta stryker 5x50x56 before spending money on a other scope but that's my opinion best of luck with what ever you decide to go with or get .

Do you have a local long range or PRS match you could go to? Most people will let you look through their scopes if you ask nicely - looking through them helps a lot.

It’s a silly question that’s been asked a million times, and will likely be asked a million more. Reading the internet alone likely can’t answer the question - try and look through some glass if you can.
1. This ^^^^^ (saved me some typing)
2. Support the vendors that support this site.
3. Support the members in the EE.

Best of luck with your search.

Keith

I’d be perusing the PX in your shoes.

Lots of nice glass out there for a much lower price than new.

A Gen 2 razor can be had for $1300-1500 and the warranty goes with it.

There’s also a decent amount of Bushnells for sale that have decent glass for a good price.

It doesn’t sound like you’re in a hurry so you could monitor the for sale ads and find something to fit the bill.

Reactions: camocorvette
Buy the best glass you can afford. I promise you won’t regret it.

Buy the best glass you can afford. I promise you won’t regret it.
How does one determine which optic has better glass wo first hand knowledge or experience…? Is there a primer? I imagine every manufacturer has some marketing BS names they put with various coatings etc so how do tell what is what..?

There’s also a decent amount of Bushnells for sale that have decent glass for a good price.

It doesn’t sound like you’re in a hurry so you could monitor the for sale ads and find something to fit the bill.
Which Bushnell do you suggest? And no, not in a hurry.

I have the Mark 5 in 3.6-18 for my hunting rifle. Great scope. If they had something a little less busy than that CCH reticle and a little more similar to the EBR 7, APLR, or SKMR, I'd be all over a 5-25 for my comp plinker.

If your current optics are working for you, and it sounds like they are. Consider stocking up on ammo or reloading supplies. Nice glass is awesome but if you don’t have ammo to use it what’s the point.

Now if you already have your stash of ammo then I think it’s absolutely worth upgrading glass. I had a vortex hst, and some other budget scopes and as I have upgraded glass over the years it has not made me a better shooter but It certainly certainly makes the experience more enjoyable.

I think the best value going right now is the Burris xtr3’s. Check with camera land and see if they have any of the US versions left that they were closing out. Excellent glass, I personally like the reticle, repeatable. I also have a pro and that’s another nice step up from the normal xtr3. I sold my kahles 6-24 after looking through a pro at a match. I have also looked though a few razor gen 2’s and to my eyes I Thing the normal xtr3 is equal or better.

Reactions: Lightning8
I have had all the Arken scopes and for the money they are hard to beat but that is for the money. If you can get up to the 1500ish range I would get a used Razor gen 2 4.5-27. The glass is noticeable, the tracking for me out to a mile has been spot on and the eye box is second to none. Is it 3 times better then the EP5, no but you will not regret it if you do decide to save up the extra and buy. Just to warn you once you do step up its hard to go back.

Don't get into a dollar race for scope, find what you like and save up until you can afford it but it is not always the most expensive. There is no standard for glass, you just have to look and see what you think. I have a Leupold MK5 and Bushnell DRM3, I like the DMR3 better because of the reticle, each has pro's and con's. I plan on getting an XRS3 also because of the reticle. The fact Bushnell is less than Leupold is a bonus but not my deciding factor.

Until you look through some of your "old" glass again. My ZCO has ruined me for all other optics...
Lol yeah I’m in the same boat, bought a zco about 6 months ago, now I’ve got 3 and sold all my atacrs

Reactions: Charger442
How does one determine which optic has better glass wo first hand knowledge or experience…? Is there a primer? I imagine every manufacturer has some marketing BS names they put with various coatings etc so how do tell what is what..?
There is thread after thread of optics reviews. Ask yourself what you want/need of a scope and do a whole lot of reading. There are tons of great options. I started years ago with vortex and leupolds, moved to nightforce, then moved up to zco. When I was running NF I thought to myself “how could I ever want/need any more out of a scope, then I shot a zco and knew.

The Burris XTR3, non illumination USA version is close to the Razor G2 if not better but only $1000 at Cameraland. You won't find nothing to touch the XTR3 in that price range.

I haven't looked through a XTR3i yet so can't comment on those but I'm sure they are just as good if you need illumination.

If you are talking about a budget of $2k, I'd be looking at the XTR Pro or try to find a deal on a Razor G3($2k-ish range).

Reactions: Lightning8
1- you don’t “invest” in an optic. You buy it and use it.

2- buy a Burris XTR3 from CameraLandNY, best bag for the buck going by far.

Or buy a used Razor Gen 2 for $1500 if weight isn’t a factor.

I have an EP5 and a XTR3, they aren’t in the same league but for $500 the EP5 is a solid optic.

Ok so I’ve heard a lot about the Burris XTR III as a suggestion, how does it compare the Bushnell XRS III? They seem pretty similar…. Or am I wrong here?

Ok so I’ve heard a lot about the Burris XTR III as a suggestion, how does it compare the Bushnell XRS III? They seem pretty similar…. Or am I wrong here?
In my eyes, I still go with the Burris. I've got them in both 3-18 and 5-30. But again, that may be subjective. I know the Bushnell is popular, but I'm not much a fan of them. Have never been impressed with the glass at distance the few times I've looked through them.
I'm not much a Vortex fan, but the PST G2 is a solid scope and extremely popular and I'd put it higher than the Bushnell. Again, my eyes, personal preference, so again shooter subjective.
Hit a match where you can get behind a few of them and study targets, steel, trees, whatever at both close and long range distances.

Ok thanks y’all for the input…. So I eventually just kept going and back and forth on all the sub 2k scope…. Eventually I said f_ck it …. and dropped the 3k on a Vortex Razor Gen 3, 6x36. Buy once, cry once....? Ultimately the warranty (I recently had an older vortex break and they replaced it right away) ....

Last edited:
Ok thanks y’all for the input…. So I eventually just kept going and back and forth on all the sub 2k scope…. Eventually I said f_ck it …. and dropped the 3k on a Vortex Razor Gen 3, 6x36. Buy once, cry once....? Ultimately the warranty (I recently had an older vortex break and they replaced it right away) ....
Now post a solid review to help out other people looking for a scope!

Sounds like you’ll be happy with it.