• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Investing in Ammo....wise?

Yeah....150gr .308 is not ideal for me, but I own 5 .308's and have 4 sons and we all hunt so if worse came to worse, it could be utilized by my family. Just wondering if $18 a box is something I could potentially profit off if in the years to come. Guess it's a gamble....for some reason ammo makes better sense to me right now than gold or stocks....

Are you the same guy I saw crapping on CTD in another thread? Maybe not but...

Buy what you can use, and if you reload just buy components to make what you might need. These periods seem to come and go, maybe a little too often in the last 15 years. If you try to make a killing you'll just be another gouger and there are plenty to go around.

If everyone did that now the costs would sure be better for everyone. I would assume the retailers and manufacturers are probably loving it, as long as no bans come out of this.

This is a touchy subject to be sure. After reading through most of this thread I couldn't help but comment to those debating the current market dynamics. (sorry OP, it kind of hijacked your thread) I have string feelings and observations about it myself and can't help but weigh in however late I may be to the party.

The simple market construct of supply and demand works fine and I don't think most people, even the ones belly aching about it, have a problem with it. there are many of us, myself included, who were sitting on a few thousand rounds bought probably well before the panic for whatever reason, and decided to make a few bucks offloading some after the shelves cleared. Nothing wrong with that.I don't think it makes a dent in the supply/demand fundamentals. For the most part, the people that had already stockpiled have already sold what they are going to and keeping the rest.

However that is not where we are at now at this point anyway. What you have now, as someone described a bit earlier, are people that have the connections or resources to be in a position to know when/where commercial shipments to the big box or online retailers (at least the ones that are still selling for pre-panic prices) and are clearing the shelves as soon as they get stocked and then going home and putting adds up on gun broker, armslist and whatever local forum they can find selling it for 3x the price to the sheep (of which there are millions) who are still panicking.

So there is a huge difference between people selling some of their private stash for which they have had before all this to make some money and those that are basically scalping ammo from retailers and selling in the secondary market and I think that's worth pointing out. So no, it's not supply and demand right now, its panic and scalping and until people wise up and stop buying from the scalpers it will continue as far as the eye can see.

Ammo and magazines are always a good investment. Since '04 I have bought thousands of rounds of ammo, and hundreds of magazines. I'm not really interested in selling a bunch of it because I "might" use it. I have sold some stuff that I no longer have a use for, in all 33 magazines, which I had a total investment of about $350. I listed it on an auction site for what I paid for it, my total return was just a bit over $1,100. I might add some of this stuff I tried to sell at a loss a year or so ago, and couldn't move it then. So here is the lesson, if no legislation is passed supply will catch up, and things will stabilize eventually, but this will happen again, I can't stess that enough, it will happen again. Don't get caught with your pants down next time (assuming you get a chance to stock up in the future).

I believe in investing in ammo. There are several good reasons to do so. If yours is because you can make a profit, I have no issue with that. I'm going to cling to mine for now, shooting what I feel like, replacing it as I can. At some point it could be better than money in the bank (food for thought, pun intended).

I agree . Thinking ahead is good mojo .
Your gonna use it one way or another. Besides , Lookin out for your Family in that manner , is honorable.
Being prepared is all a Man can do . Beyond that , is wishful thinking and misery .

I agree . Thinking ahead is good mojo .
Your gonna use it one way or another. Besides , Lookin out for your Family in that manner , is honorable.
Being prepared is all a Man can do . Beyond that , is wishful thinking and misery .

I really like that last sentence.....

Yes, I also invest in ammo, freeze dried foods and survival stuff. The worse thing that could happen with these stuff is you get the same amount of money you paid for. Ammo on the other hand appreciate in value of an average of 15% in my case in the past 3 years. 7.62 which I purchased for $220 shipped for 1k 3 years ago is now worth $360

Buy low, sell high, use your handloads for practice...

I just really wish non-shooters did not know about this.
I feel like a damn stockbroker when buying ammo these days.

"The future is up on Pork belly":D

I just really wish non-shooters did not know about this.
I feel like a damn stockbroker when buying ammo these days.

"The future is up on Pork belly":D

Hahaha lets just say I purchased some stocks on a company ticker PMAG 5 months ago and I sold those stocks last month which I made 110% profit :D