• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes IOR 3-18 FFP quality issues?

lostangel

Private
Minuteman
Mar 24, 2010
El Campo, TX
www.inamorato.net
I absolutely love the MP-8 reticle for holdover. Shame Nightforce or Leupold don't have a smiliar reticle.

Any issues anymore with this scope? I heard that they had some quality issues before ?

I appologize for all the questions. I work 12 hr days, 7days a week and I don't have much to do when the phones not ringing lol

Re: IOR 3-18 FFP quality issues?

The Gen 4's should have all the bugs out, and IOR will stand behind them if you need.

If you are talking about the modified MP8 in the sniper's hide 3-18 Scott is the go to guy. I'm not sure if the FFP 3-18's SWFA has are the same, but SWFA stands behind their stuff just as well too!

I got an IOR SH 3-18x Gen 4 from Liberty. Was a bit leery at first due to past bugs, but Scott backed it, if it had any problems.

Well, that scope is one of the best purchases I've made. Never had a problem. The FFP mil/mil is so easy to use. Nice dials, nice reticle, clear glass. Top end features at $1500. I love it.

That said, I can't speak for extreme ruggedness. I don't throw my scope off the deck, and I handle my rifle with care. For combat conditions, and if I had the coin, I might be more inclined toward some of the brands with proven durability, though the IOR Gen 4's might now be equal to the task.

It would be very interesting to see a Gen 4 review from SH, putting that scope through the paces. Frank?
wink.gif

Nik

I own three IORs, 2-3x18s, one gen 3 one gen 4, and a 2.5 x 10. All is well, still have a little voice in the back of my head which worries, but they fill my niche perfect. Tryin to pick up another 2.5x10 right now.

I know of one failure from a week back. It stopped focusing and refused to go under about 5 or 6 power.
I am not a hater as I have a brand new 2.5 - 10 and I really like it so far.

I have one of the Snipers Hide 3-18x FFP. Purchased form Scott @ Liberty Optics back in May 2008. I think it's a Gen 2.

To zeroed it, I loosened the lock-screws on the windage knob. It wouldn't come off (presumably by design), but it also "caught" after a couple mils of revolution and started clicking.

Scott had me send it just up the road to Littleton. IOR called me. Said they checked it out, replaced an o-ring, and basically that there was nothing wrong with the scope. Said I was just doing it wrong...

Had it back to me in about 2 days, and no problems since.

Overall I also like the reticle, although it's pretty huge @ 18x. The flip-side of that is that its very usable at lower magnification.

The clicks are pretty fine. Kind of reminds of winding a (nice) watch. Definitely not "clunks" like my 1/4 MOA Nightforce.

My major complaint now is around how close the lines are on the knob & zeroing. It seems like when I tighten-up all the set-screws on zero, everything looks fine. Then when I'm back behind the scope and dialing I'm looking at it from a different angle and I'm never quite sure which line I'm on. Not that .1 mil is a deal-breaker.

I think I'm getting spoiled by the way the Premier lines always line-up.

It's easy to fix the alignment issue you just have to loosen the set screws about two turns and adjust

the TMR and MLR reticle has holdovers like the MP8