• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes IOR 6-24 , NF 5.5-22 or Vortex Razor HD5-20

adrenalinelife

Private
Minuteman
Mar 16, 2011
Colorado/ Montana
Hello Everyone,

I am currently looking into getting one of the following 3 scopes:

IOR 6-24x56 with the MP-8 illuminated Reticule,

Nightforce NXS 5.5-22x56 mil/mil ZS mildot reticule

Vortex Razor HD 5-20x50 ERB-2

I read that the Razor, and the IOR are FFP scopes, and the NF NXS is not.

I currently have a Savage M 10 FPC .308, and will be hunting, as well as learning how to shoot long distance (1000Yds Plus).

I am new to shooting, and want to get a scope that would be sufficient if I were to upgrade to a 338LM.

any advice and thoughts on the above scopes would be great.

thanks for your input in advance.

Re: IOR 6-24 , NF 5.5-22 or Vortex Razor HD5-20

I have three NF 5-22-56, 8-32-56 ,12-42-56 and would buy another.
These have great glass and accurate turret adjustment. This is what is needed for long range use.

Nightforce sounds like your best bet, although I myself am leaning towards the IOR scope. Have a few NF's but would like to try the new 6-24x56 scope.

I'm in almost the exact same boat right down to the scope selection. I'm very interested as to what some others have to say since i'm pretty new to this.

Razor HD is a really solid scope.

Why do you want to spend 2k right out of the gate though? Plenty of sub 1k dollar options that will do what you want.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BCP</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Razor HD is a really solid scope.

Why do you want to spend 2k right out of the gate though? Plenty of sub 1k dollar options that will do what you want.

</div></div>

Buy once cry once... Go with the NF and you will be happy you did in the long run.

Have you looked at the IOR 3-18 scopes? Better low power for hunting and more than enough mag range and elevation to get you out to 1000yds. Same level of glass but cheaper even the FFP versions. Just a thought.

Flyingbullseye

What part of Colorado are you from? If you are on the western slope just send me a PM and I can arrange for you to try all three first hand.

PS: Good choice on investing in good glass from the beginning. I have never been upset with myself for getting a product that was too good.

The Razor HD get's my vote

What I like:

It's got FFP (Important to me, not sure about you)
Excellent reticle options
Excellent (if not the best) customer service
Excellent build quality, tactile knobs, solid zero stop
Tons of internal adjustment at 36 mils, it'll come in handy when you decide to get a .338 Lapua down the road. - The IOR only has about 16 mils
Glass is on par if not a touch better than the NF, haven't looked through the IOR

Somethings you might not like:

5 mils per turn (doesn't bother me)
Physically a large scope, but in this company, it's about par.
35mm tube, which limits ring choices somewhat (I use the excellent ARC M3 rings, so non-issue for me again)

How many are aggravated at the lack of organization of the Valdada-IOR website. It seems like a catalog website page. Doesn't present the products well in my opinion.

OFF TOPIC I KNOW

I have the Nightforce and IOR (both in SFP). I went SFP because I am not a tactical shooter and prefer the constant SFP reticle. Between the two I would choose the the Nightforce though the IOR glass is better. The Nightforce just feels like its better built and it's track record in the field proves it. I have no experience using the Razor though a guy at my range has one. The Razor definately looks impressive but as stated before, I may be the minority on this site, but I prefer SFP for the needs I have.

They are all great scopes and you would be happy with any of them. Frist you have to decide if you want FFP or SFP. Then go from there. I have no experiance with ior or the razor but I do have 2 nightforces. The 3.5x15 and 5.5X22. Just my opinion the bag for your buck goes with nightforce. Keep your eye on the optics foresale section the 3.5X15 average for around $1200 and the 5.5X22 average around $1400. Good luck on your selection.

They are all great scopes but when the chips are down my money will be spent on the Nightforce!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tt350z</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Razor HD get's my vote

What I like:

It's got FFP (Important to me, not sure about you)
Excellent reticle options
Excellent (if not the best) customer service
Excellent build quality, tactile knobs, solid zero stop
Tons of internal adjustment at 36 mils, it'll come in handy when you decide to get a .338 Lapua down the road. - The IOR only has about 16 mils
Glass is on par if not a touch better than the NF, haven't looked through the IOR

Somethings you might not like:

5 mils per turn (doesn't bother me)
Physically a large scope, but in this company, it's about par.
35mm tube, which limits ring choices somewhat (I use the excellent ARC M3 rings, so non-issue for me again)
</div></div>
+1 on the Razor, and on the evaluation.

My Razor HD tracks <span style="font-style: italic">perfectly</span> - I mean, perfectly. Great quality. Reliable. Passed torture test (including explosions - thanks, Lowlight!
smile.gif
) with flying colors. Amount of elevation adjustment allows to shoot 338 Lapua to 2,000m. And the best reticle design (in my opinion) among the three scopes mentioned.

Those 3 scopes are so alike, yet so VERY different.... no one can tell you which one is right for you.

You need to decide which features are a priority to you. FFP? Reticle thickness? Weight/size? Build quality? Reliability? Illumination? Reticle design?

What works for me, probably won't work for you. Write down your needs and begin to evaluate based on what each scope brings to bear and which tradeoffs you can justify. Get behind them if you can, because see/touch/use is worth a thousand words.

John

Crazy horse for IOR questions just call Scott at Liberty Optics and he will set you straight, and I agree about the website. Trajectory_student, jrob300 makes some valid points, prioritize, decide what you want in a scope. Try to get behind each of these scopes and look through the reticle and see what you think of each, also compare the quality of the glass and look at the ergonomics of the scope. I have both IOR and NF scopes and they all work for their specific job, find one that works for you.

Crazy horse for IOR questions just call Scott at Liberty Optics and he will set you straight, and I agree about the website. Trajectory_student, jrob300 makes some valid points, prioritize, decide what you want in a scope. Try to get behind each of these scopes and look through the reticle and see what you think of each, also compare the quality of the glass and look at the ergonomics of the scope. I have both IOR and NF scopes and they all work for their specific job, find one that works for you.