• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes IOR 6-24x50 - worth $1525

ReaperDriver

Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Sep 5, 2009
    Vegas Baby!
    I'm considering getting an IOR 6-24 illuminated with the MP-8 Dot reticle. Couple quick Q:

How does the glass compare to the other higher end scopes?

Is it FFP and mil/mil? The websites I've looked are are not clear on that.

How have they held up quality wise and C/S?

Finally does it suffer from the short eye relief problems that I've been reading about with the 3-18s?

I looked but couldn't find any reviews here on this scope, so if anyone has a link, I'd be greatful.

Re: IOR 6-24x50 - worth $1525

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ReaperDriver</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm considering getting an IOR 6-24 illuminated with the MP-8 Dot reticle. Couple quick Q:

How does the glass compare to the other higher end scopes?

Is it FFP and mil/mil? The websites I've looked are are not clear on that.

How have they held up quality wise and C/S?

Finally does it suffer from the short eye relief problems that I've been reading about with the 3-18s?

I looked but couldn't find any reviews here on this scope, so if anyone has a link, I'd be greatful. </div></div>

The glass on IOR's scope is made by Schott, and is some of the best available. It is my understanding that the 6-24's are all currently SFP, but that Valdada showed a new FFP 6-24, but it has not been released yet.

Since the FFP 6-24's are not out yet, quality and C/S is an unknown.

The 3-18 does not suffer from "short" eye relief, per say. What if suffers from is a short (fore to aft) eye box. The eye box on 3x (fore and aft) is wider than on 18x. And the short distance from turret housing to the zoom ring, means difficulty in get the scope back far enough on higher powers to get it into the sweet spot of the eye box.

This is also a by product of the 6x zoom. The excellent S&B 5-25 also has a smaller eye box (fore to aft) than it's companion 4-16 and 3-12 models. But the S&B has more room aft of the Turret housing, so that moving the scope back is not a as much of a problem, in finding the sweet spot on that scope.

The IOR 6-24 being a 4x zoom range scope, should have a wider eye box as the power changes from 6 to 24. But reviews and actual opinions will have to wait until the FFP version of the scope gets released.

Bob

The new touch system illuminated 6-24x46 FFP mil/mil is available to dealers. The 3.5-18x50 version hasnt been released yet.

IOR glass is excellent.

Their customer service is good also. I needed to send a scope back under warranty and had NO problems with their service.

I just bought one from pupdawg and I would have to agree the glass is great and the whole scope is great. I had to buy a egw base that extends both ways so I can get good eye relief. Which kind of sucks but that is a small price to pay for a good scope. If I would have known that ior made a 6-24x46 ffp I might have waited. Mine is the 3-18x42 ffp mil/mil. Just to let everyone know pupdawg is gtg on anything.

Hey nitronova!

Glad you got the scope in good condition. Hope it all comes together with that new base. Thanks again.
    smile.gif

6-24x56 FFP is allready available? I haven't seen any pictures/info on it anywhere true it was supposed to enter market in May however i'm quite sure there would be more info if it were really available...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sharac</div><div class="ubbcode-body">6-24x56 FFP is allready available? I haven't seen any pictures/info on it anywhere true it was supposed to enter market in May however i'm quite sure there would be more info if it were really available... </div></div>

They are arriving soon, very soon, and they've done some testing for recoil on .338 Lapua, .300 RUM and 7mm WSM lightweight and braked rifles and the scope is coming through without a hiccups after nearly 1000 rounds. As soon as I have firm pricing, we'll get them up on the website.

BobinNC, I'm trying to follow your post re: eyebox. Are you referring to the physical construction of the ocular tube/lens assembly, or the projected 3-D plane behind the scope in which you achieve a full sight picture?

At any rate, the 3-18 indeed has a short section of tube behind turret housing, but eye relief distance is indeed on the short side too, about 2.5" on the 3-18x

Scott

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LibertyOptics</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sharac</div><div class="ubbcode-body">6-24x56 FFP is allready available? I haven't seen any pictures/info on it anywhere true it was supposed to enter market in May however i'm quite sure there would be more info if it were really available... </div></div>

They are arriving soon, very soon, and they've done some testing for recoil on .338 Lapua, .300 RUM and 7mm WSM lightweight and braked rifles and the scope is coming through without a hiccups after nearly 1000 rounds. As soon as I have firm pricing, we'll get them up on the website.

BobinNC, I'm trying to follow your post re: eyebox. Are you referring to the physical construction of the ocular tube/lens assembly, or the projected 3-D plane behind the scope in which you achieve a full sight picture?

At any rate, the 3-18 indeed has a short section of tube behind turret housing, but eye relief distance is indeed on the short side too, about 2.5" on the 3-18x

Scott </div></div>

Scott,

I was talking about the 3-D plane behind the scope. The sweet spot (ie: eye box) were you get a full sight picture, gets smaller when going from 3x to 18X. If you move your head much forward or aft you loose the full view.

That coupled with a short span between the turret housing and the rear zoom controls means you cannot get the scope back far enough to get a full view @18x.

With mine I have to creep up on the stock a bit, when going from low to high power. Since I use the scope mostly 14x or below, it is not a deal breaker, the scope is still very useful, but I do wish for about 3/4" more between the turret housing and rear zoom.

From the pictures it appears that the new 3-18x50mm has more room aft the turret housing. Can you confirm that as yet?

Thanks,

Bob

Scott: that is some great news as this 6-24 appears (on paper so far
    smile.gif
    ) to be a really good product... Thanks for an update..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Digit</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The new touch system illuminated 6-24x46 FFP mil/mil is available to dealers. The 3.5-18x50 version hasnt been released yet. </div></div>
    How can this be? I have heard no elephants bugling, bands playing, aircraft towing banners expousing all the wonderments of the "NEW,NEW,NEW" does everything better at half the price precision optic. Can a worthy tool actually become available without the mind numbing advertising,teasing and assorted hoopsallah associated with the projected eventual arrival of the latest wonderscope?
    I for one truly hope so. Actually I hope IOR knocks one out of the park with this one. Love their glass, hope the rest of the scope measures up. This should not be construed as a criticism of the optics or mechanics of any over hyped optics. It sure could be taken as a shot at their advertising program though.

Yes, this scope is flying well under the radar, but they have a chance to be really something, a 3-18x50 FFP with digital illumination and a 6-24x56 FFP with the same, under $2K, hopefully the lessons learned with the 3-18x42 FFP are in full effect. I know the scopes look different than any other IOR scope previous.

pimpgun, the guy who has tested the IOR is from Dillon, you might know him.

BobinNC, I know the ocular portion of the scope is huge and of much more length than the old 3-18, but I can't remember the length of the tube behind the turret housing.

Scott

My guess is all the hype is coming when "unexpected troubles" get sorted out. I highly doubt they are unable to produce quantities so only answer possible is that there were some problems which require some "back to the drawing board/lets fixem" exercises. Still i think it's better to be a little late then show up on time without pants...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LibertyOptics</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yes, this scope is flying well under the radar, but they have a chance to be really something, a 3-18x50 FFP with digital illumination and a 6-24x56 FFP with the same, under $2K, hopefully the lessons learned with the 3-18x42 FFP are in full effect. I know the scopes look different than any other IOR scope previous.

BobinNC, I know the ocular portion of the scope is huge and of much more length than the old 3-18, but I can't remember the length of the tube behind the turret housing.

Scott </div></div>

Scott,

In this video from the shot show 2010, Val at about the 1:24 mark places a 3-18x42mm next to a new 3-18x50MM, and you can visibly see the addition room aft the turret housing. I think the change is related to a significantly smaller zoom ring on the newer model.

CST Tactical video of Valdada New IOR's

In any event, my MK1 eyeball see's the change as about 1/2 to 3/4" more room. If this change is present on the production model, I would think it's a good thing, IMHO.

Bob

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LibertyOptics</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yes, this scope is flying well under the radar, but they have a chance to be really something, a 3-18x50 FFP with digital illumination and a 6-24x56 FFP with the same, under $2K, hopefully the lessons learned with the 3-18x42 FFP are in full effect. I know the scopes look different than any other IOR scope previous.

Scott </div></div>

Scott, are the IOR 6-24x56 FFP models out yet and how much are they going to list for?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ReaperDriver</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LibertyOptics</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yes, this scope is flying well under the radar, but they have a chance to be really something, a 3-18x50 FFP with digital illumination and a 6-24x56 FFP with the same, under $2K, hopefully the lessons learned with the 3-18x42 FFP are in full effect. I know the scopes look different than any other IOR scope previous.

Scott </div></div>

Scott, are the <span style="font-weight: bold">IOR 6-24x56 FFP models </span>out yet and how much are they going to list for? </div></div>

Anyone.... Bueller? I looked on IOR's websight and others but can find no reference to the 6-24x56 FFP model. I guess they're not out on the street yet? WOndering if any of the dealers have some insider knowledge on when they're going to be out as well as expected price point?

I'm curious what the new 3-18x50 is going to list for. I would really love an iluminated reticle (as long as they do it correctly). I could put my 3-18x42 on my AR.

The 6-24 FFP has been released to distibutors world wide for a few weeks now. It should be priced lower than the 3.5-18 due to the mechanics being a 4x zoom range vs a 5x zoom range. The 3.5-18 isnt available to distributors yet. Retailers should be able to access the 6-24.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wuzup101</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm curious what the new 3-18x50 is going to list for. I would really love an iluminated reticle (as long as they do it correctly). I could put my 3-18x42 on my AR. </div></div>

Here you go: Sniper's Hide Gen 4 3-18x IOR

I still can't find anybody with the 6-24x FFP though....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ReaperDriver</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wuzup101</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm curious what the new 3-18x50 is going to list for. I would really love an iluminated reticle (as long as they do it correctly). I could put my 3-18x42 on my AR. </div></div>

</div></div>

The gen4 3-18 is a different scope to the <span style="font-weight: bold">3.5</span> - 18 Touch Illuminated FFP. This is not yet available. The new 6-24 Touch illuminated FFP is available to all distributors worldwide.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Digit</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ReaperDriver</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wuzup101</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm curious what the new 3-18x50 is going to list for. I would really love an iluminated reticle (as long as they do it correctly). I could put my 3-18x42 on my AR. </div></div>

</div></div>

The gen4 3-18 is a different scope to the <span style="font-weight: bold">3.5</span> - 18 Touch Illuminated FFP. This is not yet available. The new 6-24 Touch illuminated FFP is available to all distributors worldwide. </div></div>

Oh, OK. I've searched every optic site that I can find on line and not a single mention of the 6-24x FFP. And links or suggestions on where to start?

Reaper driver,

They may be available in New Zealand, and elsewhere in the world, but in the ole USA until Valdada (sole US importer) brings them in they are not really here yet.

My suggestion is call Valdada on Monday, 303-979-4578 (their in Colorado) and maybe they will have more information for ya.

Bob

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BobinNC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Reaper driver,

They may be available in New Zealand, and elsewhere in the world, but in the ole USA until Valdada (sole US importer) brings them in they are not really here yet.

My suggestion is call Valdada on Monday, 303-979-4578 (their in Colorado) and maybe they will have more information for ya.

Bob

</div></div>

Ah, that may explain it. Thanks, I'll call them.

Here in Europe i've talked with a dealer and he says it will be available in September 2010 with HR5 reticle only (first batch produced)....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sharac</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here in Europe i've talked with a dealer and he says it will be available in September 2010 with HR5 reticle only (first batch produced).... </div></div>

No - they are available now to all distributors worldwide. We have them on the way. These are the new 6-24x56 FFP mil/mil illuminated with zero stop and SH1 reticle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Digit</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sharac</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here in Europe i've talked with a dealer and he says it will be available in September 2010 with HR5 reticle only (first batch produced).... </div></div>

No - they are available now to all distributors worldwide. We have them on the way. These are the new 6-24x56 FFP mil/mil illuminated with zero stop and SH1 reticle. </div></div>
    What about the MP-8 Dot reticle? When will that be avail in the above scope?

Dunno i can only give info which is given to me by dealer here nearby. I did mail IOR about it however they don't feel like answering or they missed my mail. I'll wait and see...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Digit</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The 6-24 FFP has been released to distibutors world wide for a few weeks now. It should be priced lower than the 3.5-18 due to the mechanics being a 4x zoom range vs a 5x zoom range. The 3.5-18 isnt available to distributors yet. Retailers should be able to access the 6-24. </div></div>

Price?

I'm not Scott, but the 6-24x56 ffp just came out and it looks great. In fact, if you go down optics forum just a bit, you will probably find his thread on them.

Scott has them now for $1849

I pulled the trigger on one and will have pics and a review up when I can.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 308Dude</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Any update Scott? </div></div>

Ready to ship.

These have the MP-8 A5 reticle like the 3-18x42 FFP

Pics/review will be online soon, I'm sure.

Scott