• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes IOR; Recon Gen 2 4-28x50 vs. Tactical Gen 4 6-24x56

miso

Private
Minuteman
Nov 3, 2013
I'm looking for a scope on top of my .308 build.

I have found IORs appealing due to:
- decent glass
- robust appearance
- slightly premium image
- elevation range
- and that massive elevation knob

And because of these I would be going for:
1. Recon Gen 2 4-28x50 or
2. Tactical Gen 4 6-24x56

Could somebody with experience on these scopes provide:
1. Comments on advantage / disadvantage on either scope compared to another
2. Experiences in long term use regarding the durability
3. Functionality of the features like massive main tube or main tube parallax in recon
4. Reasoning why I should skip IOR and jump to S&B
5. Or anything else that would make buy either of the IORs

Thank you for your comments

I have both, and like both very much. But I am not one to cretic scopes, I bought them because the glass is very clear and like the extreme reticle. For me the center dot is easy for me to hold on the target weather shooting paper or steel. Did the Michigan Steel shoot last weekend and had no problem holding on small targets at 600 yards. I know they get a bad rap from there scopes in the past but they have improved them now. Sorry I can not be more of a help.

Miso here we are again

Recon has better glass hands down ,great clarity edge to edge no tunneling at low magnifications ,more elevation bad- 40mm rings , a bit less handy paralax control , eye relief change ,new untested design (but its sort of generic to Terminator)

4gen 6-24x is a developed design great glass ,35mm tube , conventional paralax controls . Bad- Gen4 6-24x more or less tunells below 8,5x so is realy more 8.5-26x (but that also happens many other scopes example S&B PMII which tunnels from 7x down so its practicaly 7x-25x)

Paralax knob or ring is good and bad in one go previous gen IOR scopes suffered mainly in the parallax control ,that is most likely the reason for this mid tube paralax that actually puts ring where its at ,that should make the new parallax control bomb proof compared to any sidefocus.

As you are in Europe you actually do not have any even romotely comparable scope in the gen 4 6-24x price range ,Recon is a bit more expensive but still only FFP optics in that prece range are NF Nxs and Vortex Razor HD gen I or scopes with lower magnification

Last edited: