• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes IOR Valdada scopes, good or bad?

nous defions

Private
Minuteman
Apr 14, 2018
Anyone out there have any viable information on IOR scopes? I am contemplating their Recon Tactical 4-28x50 for my DRD Tactical Kivarri 338 Lapua. Depending what post you are reading they are either the second coming of Christ or why the hell would you want that thing!

Anyone out there have any viable information on IOR scopes? I am contemplating their Recon Tactical 4-28x50 for my DRD Tactical Kivarri 338 Lapua. Depending what post you are reading they are either the second coming of Christ or why the hell would you want that thing!

I hate to say it, but the search function would be an immense help here, as this topic has definitely been covered before. Multiple times.

TL; DR - 99.9% of the people who respond will either tell you a) don't waste the money (a helpful response), or b) buy one and find out (a way of allowing you to feel a natural consequence for failing to use the search function before spending your money). ;)

Won't find many fans of that brand here. Too unreliable, customer service sucks, lots of better options in that price range.

Reactions: Vargmat
I'm getting the feeling I'm barking up the wrong tree here... I'm a FNG here, was unaware of the search function, I stand corrected.

I'm getting the feeling I'm barking up the wrong tree here... I'm a FNG here, was unaware of the search function, I stand corrected.

We know. It tells us right under your username. ;) I think we're trying to guide you towards doing some research while having a little fun at IOR's expense. It's general practice for new folks to be referred to the search function so we don't have repeat topics. That's all.

And you're only barking up the wrong tree if you're looking for IOR fans who will give you glowing reviews, hahaha. Some have had good luck with them but as noted above, for what you're paying to acquire one, you can easily source a far superior optic from a company who has established a solid reputation in the industry.

Welcome, and best of luck! Check out "The Everyday Sniper" podcast if you haven't already. Loads if good info in there for shooters new and old!

I've had three. IOR glass is excellent IMO. I like the MP8 reticle alot also. I did have one have the crosshairs start moving when adjusting the side focus. I had a new scope in my hands for no charge in two weeks.

Just my experience.

I got my first IOR at a gunshow 10 years ago
I got the second, third, and fourth, here in Snipers Hide between 8 and 9 years ago.
I got my 5th IOR on Ebay.
I would have not noticed IOR if not for SH.
I had seen them at Brownells for the last 25 years, but paid no attention.

I don't use the FFP ones much or FFP of the other brands I own. My eyes are too old to see and thin reticle.

But the SFP IORs are good scopes.
IMHO They have more resolution and less color than a Leupold.
The IOR on 8X has the same resolution as a Leupold on 10X.
But the Leupold can find the hint of Gold color on a brown ground squirrel on brown dirt.

There were group buys of IORs here on SH 10 years ago.

I have had my fair share of poor IOR experience. All bad, none good. I fell for the glass but was disappointed by the mechanics. IOR's Customer service failed me and left a sour taste. Though the glass is better I would sooner own a Tasco before Any IOR product. Come to think of it I wonder if IOR would make a good scope for my pellet gun. But for now I'll leave the Tasco on top instead. I said it once I'll say it again. Friends don't let friends Buy IOR. And though I barely know you I would say take the advice of "your Money is better spent on another product of higher quality which would cost the same as your lower quality IOR product". Oh and the search button is your friend

Reactions: Bender and Vargmat
The Recon actually gets good reviews and has APPARENTLY performed very well. i say apparently, because I have no experience with that model.
I have experience with the 3-18x42. It is still one of my favorite scopes.
CS can be hit and miss.
Paul McCoy ran one through several seasons of competition.
https://www.pmacprecision.com/

I have been running the 3-18x42 SFP with mp8 reticle on my 308 since 2008 or 2009 with zero issues.

The glass is the best I have ever owned but havent owned any S&B or others in than range so cant make a comparison there. I did however get a chance to do a side by side comparison of a NXS on a coworkers F-class rig and found to my eyes and his that the IOR was better in resolution and clarity at 600 yards.

Maybe I got lucky but like others have stated you could potentially save yourself some headache and money buying something else.

Another observation I have had is the glass is excellent in low light, I was able to observe a great 12 point South Texas whitetail long before legal shooting time with no moon light and the illumination settings for the reticle are very well executed even in questionable light.

Last edited:
Curiously enough, I bought an IOR, albeit a relatively inexpensive 2.5-10x42 MP8 back in 2006 based on recommendations here. I had it on a Savage 10FP .308, which I never shot much because our club range got reduced to 100 yards. I just put it on a new Tikka .223 Varmint (post and pics to come), and sighted it in over the weekend. It's perfect for my application, which is nothing compared to some of you here, but my old eyes are happy with it.

I’ve had two of the IOR 3.5-18x50 FFP scopes. I never had any issues with either, and I never had to send them in for anything, so I can’t tell you about their CS/lack there of. Yes, they tracked, and the glass was very nice in them, I liked the push button digital illumination, mp8 reticle was nice and clean with the center dot, but they were chunky fuckers, I didn’t care for the turrets, and to me the zero stop was a pain in the ass. Like others have said, if you really want to try one out, you might get a good one, but you might not. I was lucky that both of mine performed well. I would never pay their new prices for one, and occasionally you can find them in the PX for pretty cheap. Now a days, if I had Recon $$ to spend on glass, I would NOT get an IOR. S&B, Minox ZP5, Khales, or Vortex would be at the top of my list. Hell, I replaced my last IOR with an Athlon Cronus BTR, and have zero regrets with that decision! Anyways, good luck whichever way you go.

Reactions: Basher
Thanks for all the advice on here troops, good to hear from men who have experienced IOR scopes. I am considering other scopes currently, as I mentioned before I just wanted something different. Although a few of you left me a little lighter in the backside! But my knowledge base was broadened, always a damn good trade off!

I've got the 3.5-18 and the 12-52 and have never had any issues. You can search the internet far and wide and you won't find a bad review of the scope your looking at. ....That particular scope was the only scope to score a perfect score in the mechanical repeatably test done a few years back .

IOR was a decent option back when they were priced well.
Once they jumped the price to the high end, they didn't compare well with similarly priced scopes.
Also the resale value is.... just keep it.