• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle Scopes IOR vs. USO scopes

SeanRT

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 28, 2008
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Quick question: How do IOR scopes compare to USO scopes in terms of reliability and value (mainly while in the field)?

I'm torn between purchasing a USO SN-3 3.2-17 or an IOR 3-18 with a 35mm Tube. I just can't decide and am, therefore, asking the powers that be for some buying advice.

Re: IOR vs. USO scopes

I'm no USO fan, but in terms of reliability I'd have to give the nod to USO. Although I have used a few USO, I really don't have very much experience with IORs. I'm just basing my opinion on the impression that I got from the USOs I've used and the number of threads across the net that question the reliability of IORs.

Although you will find information on the net regarding the optical quality (or lack thereof) of the USO scopes, you won't find much information at all (other than praise) concerning their reliability.

Im not completely sure USO's glass is that sub par, I use an SN9 and the glass in that is superior to the glass in my Schmidt Bender (late production).

I do hoever sit that scope to the isde of ALL other in comparison as it has no internal mechanism, all thats on the outside of the scope so you ALWAYS look through the optical center.....I have no proof that this is the case but the glass in that USO is damn nice. Will try another "regular" uso soon and looking frowards to seeing how that compares.

I owned a 9-36 IOR and the glass was nice, looked through a couple of others as well but Im just not convinced of there reliability as yet though they are innovative.

FFS you would think that the way the masses pour shit on NXS and USO glass youd think they used the end of coke bottles for lenses........To this stage my "shitty" glass in my NXS scopes has not cost me a single animal if I missed it was me not reading conditions right or just generally stuffing up.

I have a couple of the high end scopes and there "nice to own period" but to be honest 99.9% of people would not be hindered at all if they owned IOR, NXS or USO over Hennie or SB, there just "good to own" and if you have the $$ it's all good.

To the OP's question.....the USO everyday of the week and on the sabbath !!! Im just not convinced with IOR yet despite there great features and value.

I think the USO tube is supposed to be a lot stronger than IOR's and ruggedness and reliability are more improtant to me than slightly better glass if that is the case.

I've never used a USO but I have a 2.5-10x42 FFP IOR and I like it alot. If a USO is anything close to that I'd be happy. I'll be looking at both companies for my next built...maybe a NXS but I haven't drank enough cool-aid from that group yet.

If your stuck on a 35mm tube look into a Vortex Razor. Beyond that, Id take a USO anyday over an IOR.

Yeah, I've alos been looking at a NightForce NXS F1 3.5-15. Price is an issues here, but i'm willing to pay a little more for a scope that is going to hold up to weather, being constantly jostled, dropped (God forbid!), etc. Durability and overall quality are the most important issues for me at this time.

Every scope manufacturer has problems with their products, just some brands get the problems publicized more that other.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mr300</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yeah, I've alos been looking at a NightForce NXS F1 3.5-15. </div></div>

That would be my first pick..

I own an IOR (3-18x42 gen 4) and I am absolutely thrilled with it.

Why did I buy it? Awesome glass, ten mil turret, awesome reticle. After speaking with Scott, I decided that the new gen 4 had been on the market long enough that any major problems would have surfaced already.

If I had the money, I would have a USO, F1 or S&B.
I wanted the best FFP, mil/mil scope I could get for around 1500.
I feel that is what I got.

As far as reliability in the field?
USO is pretty much the standard by which others are judged.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fdkay</div><div class="ubbcode-body">As far as reliability in the field?
USO is pretty much the standard by which others are judged. </div></div>

Hardly.

I have owned a couple of USOs. Now I own a IOR 3x18x50 mil/mil. I would take the IOR over the USO. The IOR has a little better eye relief and the glass is better. The zero stops are easier to work on the IORs.
After all that it is about 800 dollars cheaper. If you are going to spend the extra $$$, then buy a S&B.

I own both and USO wins in just about every category, except glass quality, where the two are tied. USO has a better power adjustment, better parallex control, better illumination, better turret feel, EREK is awesome, and many many more reticle choices. Looking thru the IOR always makes me feel like I'm missing something; maybe this is because USO's objective lens is bigger (not sure). USO has a better fit and finish. USO customer service is amazing - I call USO and Becky somehow always remembers what scopes I own. The 3.2-17x that you are looking at is a wonderful scope and you will be thrilled with it. You will also get good resale value if you ever move on.

Of course, the two are not the same in price and IOR offers outstanding value for the money and I'm very happy with their products. I don't love their MP-8 dot reticle, but have learned to use it w/o issue. Scope glass is great, even in low light. Turrets track fine, although it is not always easy to see where you are on the turrets travel. The scope is tough as well and the 35mm tube feels very strong. The rings that come with the scopes are also rock solid and great value. Scott at Liberty is great to deal with and his shipping policy is top-notch.

+1 for IOR.

I have a FFP IOR scope and the glass is damn nice. I cant say its better than USO but its top notch either choice you make. Dollar for dollar IOR might be a better value but optical quality is =
IMHO.

I have a 3.5-18-50 IOR. Guy at the range had the 3-17 with erek nob, no side focus USO. Naturaly we compared.

The glass was almost identical. Flip a coin. You won't be missing anything with either in this catagory.

Eye relief was close. I tought the IOR was better but it was installed on my rifle for my body. Still the IOR has absolutly no worries when it comes to eye relief.

Erek nob is way better. Clicks have alot better spacing so you don't run one click into another. IORs work great you just have to be more careful.

Love the IOR ret. USO was fine too. Just a matter of getting comfortable with your ret.

Illumination was a toss up agian. IORs maybe alittle bit easier. Those 2 buttons are fast and effecient.

The finish is where the USO takes the IOR to the woodshed. IORs finish is dissapointing. Scathes easily. My SIII has a better finish. USOs is awsome.

As far as durabilty goes.. I dunno haven't managed to break my IOR yet. Either is a good scope with great features.

I have run a few IOR's and just sold my 1.5 x 8 tomfund my USO 1.8 x 10 its the second uso 1.8 i have currnently.

For the $$$$. IOR is great, awesome glass, great light gathering for s,all objective and solid.

The USO however is a bit more $$ but it is a whole different piece of equipment.

I feel like if i needed to i could beat someone to death with the USO! I dont worry when i reach up and wrench the objective setting from 1.8 - 10 as fast as i can and never worry about it.

The IOR is solid but i never had the confidence in being able to field it as i can my USO.

Reticles have already been mentioned, the IOR i had didnt have enough data for making hold & wind calls etc.

USO is def more $$$$, but the reaale is amazing and "IF" something happens and you send back to USO they are likely to refurb the entire optic or send a new one!!!

Goos luck!

I've never used and IOR but the optics on my USO are just about equal to my Zeiss scope that I had, but the one major difference is the USO is built like a tank, its has some weight to it doesn't feel cheap the knobs are just as sturdy as the rest of the scope. The Zeiss I had was a nice scope I liked it alot but I feel the USO scope that I have the 3.5-15x44 SSDS is built for punishment in the field. I don't know if the IOR is built as sturdy as a USO but I know optically they are just about the same optically with Zeiss according to others that have compared both I'm pretty sure they Zeiss and IOR use the same glass from Schott.