• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

iPhone wind meter

MLC

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
May 4, 2004
Solebury, PA
This looks like an interesting option to the Kestrel.

iPhone_impeller.png

Re: iPhone wind meter

Interesting, in deed. This could make the ballistic apps even better, if it's proven to be accurate.

I hope that honkin' big base fits through my case to get to the jack itself.

Looks like an item to put on the list.

You could use a jack extension. That may be preferable anyway since you could mount that to the top of your spotting scope or on the end of a stick and have your iphone laying next to you. You would be able to get a reading at a glance that way and not have to pick up your phone. Just a thought.

L

This would be awesome if it proved to work, for shooting aspects. As far as accurate enough to make it work spending the money on it. Hopefully a hide member has one can provide some more insight on this.

Oh the irony that I wouldn't ever use it for surf, but only to shoot. Most wind surfers just use the much more applicable wind measurement tools they have attached to their head. Would be nice to save some money. Should also make a module to measure humidity, baro pressure, etc.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bitter</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> As far as accurate enough to make it work spending the money on it. </div></div>

I would think it would be easy to measure how accurate it is. Just hold it out a car window on a still day. If the speedo is in doubt use a GPS.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Layton</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bitter</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> As far as accurate enough to make it work spending the money on it. </div></div>

I would think it would be easy to measure how accurate it is. Just hold it out a car window on a still day. If the speedo is in doubt use a GPS.</div></div>

I would just compare it to your kestrel.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: B3dlam</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Layton</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bitter</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> As far as accurate enough to make it work spending the money on it. </div></div>

I would think it would be easy to measure how accurate it is. Just hold it out a car window on a still day. If the speedo is in doubt use a GPS.</div></div>

I would just compare it to your kestrel.</div></div> And due to the pressure changes around your car effecting the air moving around it, this wouldn't be an accurate way of testing anyhow. Kestrel is the way to test.

You gotta have one to test with it.
frown.gif
And I've actually built a wind meter way back in college and the car window trick actually worked when we did test against the real thing.

L

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: UIUCPPQ</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I hope that honkin' big base fits through my case to get to the jack itself.

Looks like an item to put on the list. </div></div>

Looking at the picture on the website it appears to give you plenty of room OVER you case. Nice design.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 0481</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is this only for the iPhone </div></div>

So far, yes. There will be a android and windows app coming.

Bumping again...anybody got feedback on this or the iphone app which uses the microphone to estimate wind speed?

Would be nice to ditch the kestrel meter and only need the iphone for ballistics calculations and wind readings...

I dunno about the whole microphone estimate thing. Too many ways to skew the numbers.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Layton</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I dunno about the whole microphone estimate thing. Too many ways to skew the numbers. </div></div>

I don't think it has anything do with microphones, it's just using the microphone port as a ways to communicate with the phone. He could've done the same thing using a USB port.

The wind speed measurement is based on the RPM of the turbine. I.e, they characterized the RPM response versus freestream velocity in lab, so that each RPM can be mapped to an estimate of the freestream velocity.

The microphone port is just for analog data transfer between the phone and the microcontroller on the windmeter.

The accuracy of these devices usually lies in correct calibration, as opposed to sophistication in the measurement device itself. I'd argue that the quality of this device depends much more on the programming of the iPhone app than the fairly simple (read: off the shelf) hardware.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Layton</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yea, my bad. I misread it. I was thinking the actual mic. Sry. </div></div>

You guys are confusing each other, there is an app that uses the microphone to estimate wind speed - that is the one that we referenced and I doubt it's accurate at all.

http://www.goingapps.com/Pages/default.aspx

i'd love to see something like this for the droid platform

however i would think that USB would be the ideal adapter format for making it a universal device.

my credit card swiper is through the mic/headphone port on my droid, and frankly speaking its a giant POS (the swiper, i love my droid!)
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: leprechaun</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anyone try this or the wind meter app? </div></div>

Based on their Twitter feed, it doesn't look like anyone has tried this yet. They don't have any working / testing units.

So you only get wind speed, direction and temp? I'd say that's below the bare minimum for a handheld weather station for what we do. If you can call the wind within 20* and a couple mph then this unit would be unnecessary. The altitude, baro, pressure trends and especially density altitude are equally important to wind speed and direction plus many weather meters offer data storage which is really handy when you shoot at the same place often.

I'm glad they're doing more with mobile devices but they have limitations; Iphones and droids will never replace the right tool for the job. It seems everyone's getting carried away with making their iphone the ultimate ballistic zombie terrorist hunter device. Until DARPA releases a handheld doppler, remember that these are an imperfect technology so be mindful of their limited capabilities because when you get overconfident in your equipment is when mistakes are made.