• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Ipod Touch & Ballistic Software

mildot326

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 11, 2004
Can anyone fill in the blanks for me?
What size of Ipod do you need for the software?
I've been reading some info on this site, and it seems easy and useful? Anyone with "hands on" experience?
The program is Isnipe

Re: Ipod Touch & Ballistic Software

I don't have any experience with the KAC version, but have been running Ballistic FTE for several months (maybe ten shooting sessions?). I've been <span style="font-weight: bold">extremely</span> impressed with FTE. It's given me great results out to 800 yards (the furthest I've shot it). I've found that if I put in the correct atmospheric conditions it's been spot on. It's very intuitive to use, has a huge ballistic library with pretty much every bullet out there, and the "heads up display" mode is awesome when you're shooting. There are also updates posted very regularly which are free. I like to see that... it indicates to me they're constantly trying to make it better instead of taking the money and resting on their laurels. The updates take about 10 seconds for your itouch to download and install, literally.

I run a 32 GB itouch but the base 8 GB would be plenty. If you're buying the itouch solely to run a ballistic program, save yourself some money and get the 8 GB. If you want to put music, pics, video, etc on it as well then get a bigger one. Mine wears a screen protector and a small "sleeve" style hard case all the time. When I go to the field I slip it in a small heavy duty ziploc bag for water concerns. The touch screen works as normal through the ziploc.

On a separate note, I really couldn't be happier with the itouch itself. I had one of the very first iPods and then didn't have one until I bought the itouch several months ago. WOW... they've come a long way. Way user friendly, TONS of cool applications available (many of which are free or only a couple bucks), great screen, and the size / performance ratio is amazing. On a recent overnight backpacking trip I watched Blackhawk Down in my sleeping bag on the itouch. Pretty cool.
grin.gif

thanks guys. I've been running ballistic fte on my iphone and like it alot, but you know how it is, always looking to upgrade if there is something better.

Don't bother buying bullet twist...its not worth it.

Once again troops, great info and feedback from folks that use the software, so the Isnipe is not on the table.I appreciate the advice for the Itouch, I don't have a cell phone, this is new to me. That said I'm looking at the 64gb, only because its better to have more space than less I think.I like the idea of being able to watch a movie, however how do you download that? do you pay every time for a movie?

Are the "Otterbox" impact sleeves the way to go?
I don't know if they are still making them?
Link to the ballistic software?

Thanks

I run Ballistic too. They just added DA input for atmosphere and before that they added the JBM engine to their software.

I use the Otterbox armor on my iPhone. It's survived quite a few drops and kicks. I have thought about getting the waterproof case for it, but if I am going to be in a downpour or wading, I just stick it in a ziplock.

Does the Otterbox have a cover for the screen?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mildot326</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Does the Otterbox have a cover for the screen?
</div></div>
No it does not.

The pretty lady at the ATT store put a plastic protective cover on my iphone.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mildot326</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Once again troops, great info and feedback from folks that use the software, so the Isnipe is not on the table.I appreciate the advice for the Itouch, I don't have a cell phone, this is new to me. That said I'm looking at the 64gb, only because its better to have more space than less I think.I like the idea of being able to watch a movie, however how do you download that? do you pay every time for a movie?

Thanks
</div></div>

RE the movie deal. You download them from iTunes just like music. You can also download TV shows, etc. BH Down was the first one I've downloaded, it was $9.99. Pretty sure you can burn it to a DVD for "normal" use, so that's actually not bad. Not sure if you can "rip" your own hard copies of movies and get them on your itouch, haven't looked into that yet.

Here's a link to the app's site: Ballistic . After you get your itouch just go to the app store (on the itouch itself), and download the app. It takes maybe a couple minutes. That is assuming you have access to wi-fi, if not then I think you download it through iTunes on your desktop, then sync your itouch and it should show up.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mildot326</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Once again troops, great info and feedback from folks that use the software, so the Isnipe is not on the table.I appreciate the advice for the Itouch, I don't have a cell phone, this is new to me. That said I'm looking at the 64gb, only because its better to have more space than less I think.I like the idea of being able to watch a movie, however how do you download that? do you pay every time for a movie?

Thanks
</div></div>

You DL movies through the iTunes software, pretty simple. There are also programs out there to rip what you have into the iTunes format as well. I love my iPhone, have the 16 GB 3G, buy as big as you can afford, you will always find the need for more space.

How does it compare to istrelok ( the free version) what all does it offer

the otter box defender series case has a screen protector as part of the hard case. its a great piece of kit for the iphone. I have ballistic and i think its great. But i have a feeling there will be more apps out soon to do with trajectory and stuff.

Keep an eye on the itune apps, they run sales on them from time to time. I bought Ballistic FTE for 2.99. It is similar to isnipe but with more features.

Damn. I paid more than that for Ballistic FTE. It just doesn't have the Berger 108s on it yet. Have to manually enter them. Do they add the bullets on update packages?

+1 for Ballistic FTE. I have that as well as Bulletflight (Mil Version) but like Ballistic better.

I like the BulletFlight program. I have used it in 2 different states with 3 different rifles. It is right on the money. Easy to use and dead on.

OK troops my Itouch should be here tomorrow, outside of the Ballistic software, any other app's I should take a look at?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here's a link to the app's site: Ballistic . After you get your itouch just go to the app store (on the itouch itself), and download the app. It takes maybe a couple minutes. That is assuming you have access to wi-fi, if not then I think you download it through iTunes on your desktop, then sync your itouch and it should show up.</div></div>

Hey I just bought this the $19.99, just wondering how to get it to add the 77gr BTHP to my favorites? and add factors? (ie) barrel length,etc?

I'm not being able to save some of the loads that I shoot?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mildot326</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Hey I just bought this the $19.99, just wondering how to get it to add the 77gr BTHP to my favorites? </div></div>

After you enter all of your data, select "calculate trajectory" at the bottom. Then, tap the little box / arrow in the upper right hand corner. "Add to favorites" should be an option.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mildot326</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
and add factors? (ie) barrel length,etc?

I'm not being able to save some of the loads that I shoot?
</div></div>

Barrel length doesn't matter, velocity does. You need to shoot your load over a chronograph to get an accurate velocity. If you don't have access to a chrono, you could just play with the muzzle velocity until the drop table matches your actual drop in the field for a given set of conditions. Not as accurate but it's an option.

When you go to the trajectory portion, does the chart represent the "come up" and come downs"?
I am just trying to get familiar with the program.
I trust once I'm used to it,and my scope is zeroed for 100yrds, it should tell the # of clicks up or down, left/right for a 300yrd
shot with a 5 mile 90 deg wind.Based on my load and bullet data.
BTW I made a mistake its a 69gr BTHP, I'm shooting factory Federal .223 GMM.

How do you incorporate the HUD display?

Cheers

My wife just got the Droid and downloaded a ballistics program on it for me she also said there was a mill dot calculator she could download to but I haven’t got to play with it much yet.