• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision IR Hunter; Mako Shark of Thermal Scopes

compasscall

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Oct 22, 2011
RIMPAC
Wow, IR Defense really nailed the expressive spirit of high tech; clean lines, elegantly simple form and rational functionality!

It appears most versions of the IR Hunter are currently available for purchase directly from IR Defense:

IR Defense Systems

* A digital (EBAPS) variant, IR Shooter IR Defense Systems, is on the heals of the IR Hunter. The IR Shooter follows the form of the IR Hunter and is purported to use technology similar to that used on the Apache's night vision camera Intevac to supply night-vision cameras for US Army Apaches - Army Technology and in the F-35 Gen 3 HDMS F-35 Pilots Will Begin Flying Improved 'Gen 3' Helmet | Aviation International News

Speculation is a bit irrelevant at this point; however, the info does seems to indicate the IR Shooter ought to be one wicked night dominating system.

Last edited:
I'm staying tuned for the progress of these units. Im very anxious to see what they're all about.

IR Hunter from IR Defense

Here's a video in which IR Defenses VP of marketing (Devin Standard) goes a little more in depth on the IR Hunter and its designer (Scott Henry):

IR Hunter, SHOT Show 2014 - YouTube

I think Steve Jobs faked his death and is now masquerading as Scott Henry (Owner of IR Defense and designer of the IR Hunter).

Got to also give credit to Devin for not going tactical aggressive in the presentation, such a nice departure from what seems to be the adopted authoritarian approach. I'd rather not be 'dressed down' or treated like a detainee, I'm a consumer so no need to go commando on me.

As mentioned previously, pricing and availability is listed on the IR Defense website, best to just check out the IR Defense website: IR Defense Systems

According to the IR Defense Systems website, most of the planned systems are currently available for direct purchase from IR Defense and the majority of those are ready for immediate shipment.

Last edited:
Nice looking unit, I had no idea they could be used as a clip-on w/ the addition of a collimating lens. Is that included in the package or extra $$ I wonder. I ran across them while shopping for a good thermal scope but wound up ordering something else instead. I love the idea of having NightForce reticles and MOA turrets. Based on features alone this would've been a better option for me than a FLIR RS 640 35mm which I nearly purchased a month ago.

Nice looking unit, I had no idea they could be used as a clip-on w/ the addition of a collimating lens. Is that included in the package or extra $$ I wonder. I ran across them while shopping for a good thermal scope but wound up ordering something else instead. I love the idea of having NightForce reticles and MOA turrets. Based on features alone this would've been a better option for me than a FLIR RS 640 35mm which I nearly purchased a month ago.

No such luck, neither the collimator nor the video cable are included at least as it stands now.

I'm a bit surprised on the video cable, it should be included period, no excuse for it not to be!

Not so surprised on the collimator.

Emailed them and found out that they are considering offering the collimator and video cable in an accessory kit. No firm price from them on that kit but they estimate it will cost around $500.

IR Defense communicated that the product line would be launching (real shipments) at the NRA convention and the product line would be exclusively displayed at the EuroOptics booth. Guessing dealers will get some photo ops and might be able to borrow a unit or two at the convention.

No dealer shipments have been made and no units have shipped, it all starts at the convention.

Last edited:
One of the worst Photoshops I have seen in a while. Nightforce ocular with Vortex PST Turrets and bell housing, and you can also see the offset of the pic on the mount base where they photoshopped crap in/out. Look close and you can see it on the tube as well.

Not a good way to start your marketing.

No such luck, neither the collimator nor the video cable are included at least as it stands now.

I'm a bit surprised on the video cable, it should be included period, no excuse for it not to be!

Not so surprised on the collimator.

Emailed them and found out that they are considering offering the collimator and video cable in an accessory kit. No firm price from them on that kit but they estimate it will cost around $500.

IR Defense communicated that the product line would be launching (real shipments) at the NRA convention and the product line would be exclusively displayed at the EuroOptics booth. Guessing dealers will get some photo ops and might be able to borrow a unit or two at the convention.

No dealer shipments have been made and no units have shipped, it all starts at the convention.

One of the worst Photoshops I have seen in a while. Nightforce ocular with Vortex PST Turrets and bell housing, and you can also see the offset of the pic on the mount base where they photoshopped crap in/out. Look close and you can see it on the tube as well.

Not a good way to start your marketing.

I don't believe they have photo shopped it. That looks like the Night Force NXS 2.5 to 10 X 42. Of Course the Night Force website is down right now. If you double click on the picture, it will blow up. Doesn't look photo-shopped to me but I am no Expert. If you had to "find fault" you could poke fun at the fact they have the one piece scope base backwards. Or that they are using an Arms mount on the IR hunter. I would swap that out right off!

NOW all that being said these are going to be the scopes to watch. Seriously! I haven't "been testing samples for months" in fact I totally missed these at shot! I really wish I hadn't! But, everyone who looked through one that I trust to give an accurate assessment on thermal, was blown away. Also the fact that they can go from Dedicated Scope to Clip on by the end user... WAAAA WHOOOOO. I have a colimator but supposedly you can do the colimation on a weapon.

Yep these have mass potential!

Is it, getting yours or got yours? Can’t be both!

This is, as probably mentioned already, one wicked looking system and the interest seems to reflect that, so no holding out. Did you, as mentioned in a previous and now MIA post, get samples that you are now testing? Or are you waiting like everyone else?

No dealer shipments have been made and no units have shipped, it all starts at the convention, at least that's what IR Defense has communicated.

Actually we can have both. I as in ME has a unit, and as WE in my staff who always jokes who gets dibs on first test units will get some this week at the NRA show so "we're not waiting like most", we're moving forward... This is what we do here at TNVC is test products before it goes out to our valued customers (and if we will carry it). God knows we could make the almighty BIG dollars if we actually sold everything we've ever tested. There is a reason we do not sell all the NVD's out there....

For our valued customers, (thank you for all your business here)....The unit depicted below I have is a 640 x 480 system with one reticle. The final production will have 5 reticles we're told but not final. I like the positive click adjustments on the turrets and I will post other details in another start thread. Also, take a look at the back end of this unit, look familiar? ;-) I do hate taking pics through these types of devices as it never represents what the end user will see but will snap a few.

For the official record, they will be released in approx. 45 days, We have also asked for a Vid cable to be included since day 1 so we hope they come standard with one.

20140422_113008_resized2_zpse3323799.jpg

20140422_113458_resized_zpseb312018.jpg

Unit is quite compact at 6-3/4" x 3" with batts installed (2 CR123's)
20140422_131537_resized_zps0eb7510b.jpg

Last edited:
Reviews! Reviews! I was pretty jacked about FLIR's new offerings,but wow this thing looks badass! Makes me even more excited to see the current surge in thermal and NV advancement.Can't wait to hear some reviews of this.

I am trying out a Pulsar n550 it pretty good for the money but I want to get a better one will have to save up ..

Just got my new Hunter (Great white) TODAY!!!
35mm lens. 640x480 res. 1.5x optical 12x digital zoom. Etc etcetera. Images and reviews coming soon!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Above post from pain doc says he received on.

You can certainly send your money in to some dealer that does not have a scope to sell to you a a preorder and sit and wait for it, however they have not been released for sale yet, this must be a dealer demo instrument.

Here is a the 640 35mm full production model we just received yesterday we're going to be doing more shoot tests with. I like the new cabled up the Vid port quite well. It's the small things like this that also make a difference.

20140605_121054_resized_zpsfbe8cfdb.jpg

Our latest unit went back to the factory a few weeks back with FIRMWARE issues. They have since sent us another unit for testing late last week we have not gone out to test as yet. Thanks KM.

Vic

I have one. Apparently the first one. Sorry for the lack of review. I am no expert and feel inadequate at review writing but would like to help. Suggestions for review and I will try to help. I have the higher resolution model 640x480. Very impressed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The latest unit we received went out with us last weekend. We shot approx 75 rounds with good resolution on a 7.62 bolt gun and then placed it on a 6.8SPC. I think after 3 rounds it went blank. Sent it back and are awaiting a replacement unit. We're happy with menu features and the new firmware thus far. We understand it's still a new product and that is why we test for a bit before we sell officially. The support has been fantastic from the IR Hunter crew.

Vic

Last edited:
Yeah, seriously, I'd like a review on this.... I'm VERY tempted to purchase one of these.

I'd love to see how it compares to the RS series from FLIR...

Vic: you want to keep us appraised of what you think about this unit when it's ready? Personally, I'm looking for something that is compact, and generally fills the gap well, but doesn't cost $15k.

Will do GB, we are getting another unit and will continue testing. We want to test the clip-on performance aspect of this unit as well. We're very happy with the support of the manufacturer, they are top notch and listen to everything we brought up. We look forward to watching this product line develop.

Vic