• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision IR illuminator for KN253

Jnull

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 22, 2020
I’m sure the majority are going to say Luna elir-3 after searching here but figured I’d ask regardless.

I just bought a simrad KN-253 off another forum member, all my other night vision experience is with thermal. Use will be night hunting, mostly coyotes. I did read another post where people thought game could see the Luna, would that be on any power level with the filter removed? Will the adjustable beam width and intensity allow me to see what I’m after in an open field? I’ll be using a thermal scanner wether im using the simrad or my thermal scope.

I like the Kiji 3 degree myself. It comes with a diffusor cap for a 10 degree throw that is mainly useful for up close work with a laser and helmet mounted NV. For use with a clip-on, I leave the cap flipped to the side in 3 degree mode. It is very bright, compact, and light.

I did look at the kiji after seeing it mentioned while searching but at nearly 3x the cost of the Luna it doesn’t seem to be 3x better from the way people talk about the two.

You may not need any illuminator.

Based on my limited experience in overcast skies and rain, out to 200yds, PVS-30 was fine without one For 1/4 size IPSC targets. Simrad should be even better.

I ended up ordering a Luna from JRH enterprises for a great price. The guy I bought it from said you need an illuminator on darker nights and I’ve read similar things but I guess I’ll find out for myself soon enough.

I ended up ordering a Luna from JRH enterprises for a great price. The guy I bought it from said you need an illuminator on darker nights and I’ve read similar things but I guess I’ll find out for myself soon enough.
The Luna ELIR is what you seek. Robert at JRH Enterprises is a great guy to deal with.

Reactions: Lowdown3 and Jnull
Ordered a little too late to ship out yesterday, shipped out today and tracking emailed. Thanks again, appreciate your business!

Ordered a little too late to ship out yesterday, shipped out today and tracking emailed. Thanks again, appreciate your business!

I got tracking a little bit ago, thanks a lot for the fast and easy transaction! Not to mention a price better then anyone else.

I still hunt my pvs-9 once while. Big Catadioptric lens does good at gathering. don't really use much manual gain but it nice to pop a little illum. out there on overcast, or No or tiny Moon . You still also need some illum. also when viewing into/under tree lines to really see what is there.
The big plus is with the old Simrad's 'depending on conditions' is that It easy to pop up your day scope up to 10x 12x magnification good conditions it easy to pop it up to14x or 16x .

Could be in the market myself. Message sent to Robert, can’t seem to find the luna on his website.

I still hunt my pvs-9 once while. Big Catadioptric lens does good at gathering. don't really use much manual gain but it nice to pop a little illum. out there on overcast, or No or tiny Moon . You still also need some illum. also when viewing into/under tree lines to really see what is there.
The big plus is with the old Simrad's 'depending on conditions' is that It easy to pop up your day scope up to 10x 12x magnification good conditions it easy to pop it up to14x or 16x .

I don’t think the 9a will handle quite that much magnification but should be plenty for what I’m doing.