• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision IR Laser Sight In Target

hk24

Private
Minuteman
Feb 22, 2003
USA
Does anyone have a pdf file for an IR laser sight in target, specifically an NGAL? A PEQ 15 or LA 5 target should work also. I had one for the PEQ 15 but can't find it now.

Thanks.

Last edited:
I don’t have a pdf by any means. There are targets out there you can buy if you’re interested in that. I personally made my own just using the gun a a black sharpie and a white paper.

Does anyone have a pdf file for an IR laser sight in target, specifically an NGAL? A PEQ 15 or LA 5 target should work also. I had one for the PEQ 15 but can't find it now.

Thanks,

Lynn
Are you going Converging or Parallel.

@hk24 you can roll your own pretty easy.

Take a clean sheet of 8 x 11 1/2 inch copy paper. Put on a nice flat surface. Put your rifle muzzle down on the center of your paper and take a magic marker or pen and draw a circle around your muzzle. Leave muzzle in place and turn your Vis Point laser on (assuming you have one that is slaved to your IR pointer) and where the dot hits the paper put a magic marker or pen dot where it is hitting your paper. Then if you want to get FANCY, take and cut you some 1 inch square pieces of Air-Conditioning Aluminum Tape and stick them over the Vis Point Dot circle you drew on the paper.

Presto, perfect laser target.

Me, I am lazy. I just use a Converging Zero and overlap my day optic sight at 100 yards with my Vis Point laser. So that puts me theoretically no more than 1 cm off on windage either direction out to 200 yards. Best thing about overlapping your day optic with a Converging Zero is that it is really simple to verify your laser is on before night operations. If the Day Sight and Vis Point are not agreeing at 100 yards or whatever fixed distance you choose, SUM TING WONG. Either Day Optic is off or Laser is off. Much more time consuming work to check a Parallel Zero.

Given that most IR and Vis Point laser beams diverge at 0.8 mRad, that means a laser beam circle is 2.88 inches wide at 100 yards and so on and so forth the further out you get. They ain't exactly precision instruments. PEQ 15 specs are somewhat deceiving on the divergence of the IR & Vis Pointers on their spec sheets. They say 0.5 mRad but if you look closely it also says + or - 0.3 mRad. I highly suspect they just throw the minus option in to make us feel betta. Eotech is know for taking those type of liberties. :LOL:

Steiner just flat out says 0.8 mRad on divergence of their IR & Vis Pointers.

Last edited:
@hk24 you can roll your own pretty easy.

Take a clean sheet of 8 x 11 1/2 inch copy paper. Put on a nice flat surface. Put your rifle muzzle down on the center of your paper and take a magic marker or pen and draw a circle around your muzzle. Leave muzzle in place and turn your Vis Point laser on (assuming you have one that is slaved to your IR pointer) and where the dot hits the paper put a magic marker or pen dot where it is hitting your paper. Then if you want to get FANCY, take and cut you some 1 inch square pieces of Air-Conditioning Aluminum Tape and stick them over the Vis Point Dot circle you drew on the paper.

Presto, perfect laser target.

Me, I am lazy. I just use a Converging Zero and overlap my day optic sight at 100 yards with my Vis Point laser. So that puts me theoretically no more than 1 cm off on windage either direction out to 200 yards. Best thing about overlapping your day optic with a Converging Zero is that it is really simple to verify your laser is on before night operations. If the Day Sight and Vis Point are not agreeing at 100 yards or whatever fixed distance you choose, SUM TING WONG. Either Day Optic is off or Laser is off. Much more time consuming work to check a Parallel Zero.

Given that most IR and Vis Point laser beams diverge at 0.8 mRad, that means a laser beam circle is 2.88 inches wide at 100 yards and so on and so forth the further out you get. They ain't exactly precision instruments. PEQ 15 specs are somewhat deceiving on the divergence of the IR & Vis Pointers on their spec sheets. They say 0.5 mRad but if you look closely it also says + or - 0.3 mRad. I highly suspect they just through the minus option in to make us feel betta. Eotech is know for taking those type of liberties. :LOL:

Steiner just flat out says 0.8 mRad on divergence of their IR & Vis Pointers.
I do the same thing, except i converge at "infinity". Love being able to check my laser zero everytime i go out by looking through my optic.

Reactions: WhereNow&How
I do a parallel offset as stated above. With muzzle down and making an offset. I walk it out to 50-100. And then converge it at 200.

I also shoot with my rifle canted 45* so the IR laser is directory above my bore same as a red dot would be but less height over bore obviously when shooting with nods. So my POA and POI are on the same plane and it’s dead nuts out to 200m on a sheet of paper.