• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision IRAY Mini MH-25 vs Nox?

Zback

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
May 8, 2019
Looking at getting a monocular for a helmet setup. Which one is better? Not concerned about the price difference between the two.

Just got the NOX. What ended steering me in that direction was everything I’ve heard about N-Vision customer service, the warranty, and Max_R presence on here answering lots of questions. Also,even though I’ve heard you can get the IRay serviced here, I feel better with N-Vision being based here vs china.
Another consideration is having to replace the eyepiece right off the bat to get the eye relief of the NOX.
And I also prefer to not buy china when possible. The counterfeiting shit I’ve been seeing with everything from Wilcox mounts to LAW tactical folders really pisses me off.

Just got the NOX. What ended steering me in that direction was everything I’ve heard about N-Vision customer service, the warranty, and Max_R presence on here answering lots of questions. Also,even though I’ve heard you can get the IRay serviced here, I feel better with N-Vision being based here vs china.
Another consideration is having to replace the eyepiece right off the bat to get the eye relief of the NOX.
And I also prefer to not buy china when possible. The counterfeiting shit I’ve been seeing with everything from Wilcox mounts to LAW tactical folders really pisses me off.
I just picked up a nice filmless WP PVS14 and looking to pair it with a HMT, trying to decide between the MH25 and Nox18. How does the Nox eyebox/eye relief compare to a PVS14? Does it have the same diopter adjustment (rear focus ring) as the PVS? Similar field of view?

I'm currently leaning towards the Nox for the same reasons you listed, but would love to look through one before I drop that kind of cash. Sadly the closest distributor is a couple hundred miles up in NC, according to NVision's website 🙁

The MH25 has a great image but the housing leaves a lot to be desired. It feels very cheap, the mounting screws are threaded into the polymer, switches feel weak. Just my opinion.

Reactions: mikefraz
I have the MH25, one of the first in the country actually, and it is a fantastic unit image quality wise. In my own opinion, it's the best out there for the price.

That being said, as others have pointed out the housing leaves much to be desired, the OEM eye piece is just trash (you'll need the upgraded PVS-14 eye w/adapter, which is another $350), and it's not weapons mountable (without extra time and some handy work..but I'm not sure if I would trust it on a weapon). If the NOX was available when I bought this unit, I would have personally went with the NOX solely due to it's weapons mounting capability (the better housing and customer service is a huge benefit, as well as it's USA made from a great and active company).

The MH25 is lighter, but that means the housing is more flimsy.

The MH 25 will beat the NOX in baseline image quality bar none due to the better 1280×960 super AMOLED display (the nox is 800x600 VGA if I'm not mistaken), but the NOX does better in low contrast open fields when it comes to shading (the MH25 in black hot has an odd contrast distribution in these types of environments leading to unequal contrast distribution, but I have found that it only happens with black hot..which is sadly my favorite setting).

All in all, the NOX is the better unit when you factor in the total all-in-one use case.

Below I have some pictures that I have taken through the MH25 and a photo that was posted when this optic was first released comparing it to the BAE OASYS/Trijicon Skeet IRX.
Screenshot_20210404-150548_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20210404-150557_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20210404-150646_Gallery.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210404-150548_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210404-150548_Gallery.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 78
  • Screenshot_20210404-150557_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210404-150557_Gallery.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 73
  • Screenshot_20210404-150646_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210404-150646_Gallery.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 401
I just picked up a nice filmless WP PVS14 and looking to pair it with a HMT, trying to decide between the MH25 and Nox18. How does the Nox eyebox/eye relief compare to a PVS14? Does it have the same diopter adjustment (rear focus ring) as the PVS? Similar field of view?

I'm currently leaning towards the Nox for the same reasons you listed, but would love to look through one before I drop that kind of cash. Sadly the closest distributor is a couple hundred miles up in NC, according to NVision's website 🙁
Eyepiece has same diopter adj. as a PVS, which the MH25 lacks.

Reactions: broskibrobro
Ditto on the pros and cons already mentioned. I have the MH25 with the PVS14 eyepiece. I use it as a HMT on a KVC bridge to drive and scan and not have to hold up a handheld. I like it is very light weight and also has an internal shutter/AutoNUC function. Picture is phenomenal. The KVC dovetail on the unit also has a cut out that allows clipping to a neck lanyard so when I take off the helmet it is easy to swap to a handheld. I recommend getting rechargeable battery extender from UNV.

Reactions: deersniper
Another plus in the NOX’s favor is the inclusion of an 18650 with battery extender.I don’t believe the MH25 is 18650 compatible and that is a big deal for me.

Reactions: Rglad91
Yep, the MH25 runs off a single 16650 rechargeable with the battery extender one has to buy separately from UNV. I do get just over 3 hours per battery with the AutoNUC turned on in our warmer climate. Worth getting the extender just from being able to swap easily from HMT to handheld and not fret over a cable.

I can vouch for them being serviced here. My buddy has two, and one would not turn on after the battery went dead. He sent it in to nocturnality and they got it back to him free of charge no questions asked. I’m assuming he sent it into UNV and they either fixed it/replaced it/ or sent it to the source. Either way it was fixed. “iT nEvEr ShOuLd HaVe BrOkE”, yea I get it. Even nice stuff breaks....