• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision iRay Rico G-LRF

Ace562

Private
Minuteman
Jan 3, 2019
KS
I was making a foray into the world of thermals, finally. I had used NV in the past and specifically IR units. But never much experience with thermal. I hunt coyotes in KS and that was my primary need for any night time optics. I was able to try a few different units out recently, and one of which stuck out in my mind as a clear favorite.
iRay Rico G-LRF was the model, 384 display so not a high end by any means, but with the higher res screen inside it makes up for some of that “shortcoming”. It has an integrated laser range finder which I can say without a doubt made the hunt far more enjoyable. Judging distance is difficult even when you know the terrain somewhat. I feel that for the money, the resolution and detection is hard to beat from the others I was able to sample, granted this model was the most expensive and in this world I’m confident you get what you pay for. Other models of comparable stature are equally good in clarity, but that range finder in-display is what did it for me. I’m officially and fan boy of iRay and if you’re looking at purchasing any thermal equip, they are worth a look. I am not sponsored, I am not associated with them, I am probably not even that great of a source. I’m just a dude that likes to hunt coyotes, and now I can do so much more easily. It is a quality piece for me thus far, and for sure worth at least checking into if you’re in the market.

That should be a pretty good performer and with the LRF that is a very attractive price point.

I have the Rico Mk1 384 and I love that unit. I had to pay and extra $800 for the lrf and haven't been too impressed with it. Seems to be slow and if there's any humidity/rain/snow it ceases to function. Its nice for any other time though and is easier than judging range through a 4 mag base power scope. Is the G-LRF a 4 mag base power as well? And how does the LRF work?

I have the Rico Mk1 384 and I love that unit. I had to pay and extra $800 for the lrf and haven't been too impressed with it. Seems to be slow and if there's any humidity/rain/snow it ceases to function. Its nice for any other time though and is easier than judging range through a 4 mag base power scope. Is the G-LRF a 4 mag base power as well? And how does the LRF work?
Base mag is 3 on it. I have only been able to use it in cold winter, no chance in rain or humidity yet. It’s integrated, mounted right on the side. Display shows range in screen. Seems to be fairly accurate from what I could tell. Help a lot where I didn’t have much experience with them, determining range was a tough one for a bit.
I’d love to see how the picture is on the 640 similar base mag. All In due time.

Unless you have to money to buy a 640, I wouldn't look through one lol they are unreal
I was impressed with my 384 but man it was hard to go back to it after looking through 640

Good luck hunting and have fun with the thermal, it's whole other addiction

Reactions: patina
Oh believe me, I (and my wife) know. I love yote hunting. This made it feel like id never gone before. I’ll def stay clear of a 640 till I’m cash flush again in 20 years.