• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Movie Theater Iron Man 3

cypriss32

L337
Supporter
Minuteman
Aug 27, 2004
Fresno, Ca
Saw it today............. Enjoyed major. Had good twists, good action, decent story. I liked the Manderian and Guy Pearce in the movie. Go watch it, worth the 7.50.

Good but not a great Marvel comic movie. Had good enough plot twists and action sequences. Liked the apparent attempt(maybe) to adopt the boy.

This is for all the Desert Storm vets: Did you notice that this movie should have been R rated. When Ironman was fighting a baddie on air force 1, the baddie told Ironman "go face". My Farsi may be a little weak but I believe that it translate to f..k you

What would Farsi have to do with Desert Storm?

I loved how some of the plot regarding terror was actually pretty close to real world... regarding the boogey man. "Mandurin"

People probably noticed that Guy Pearce was all or partially CG in the end sequence, but I bet no one caught several shots where we replaced Robert Downey Jrs head with a CG one. During one of the relatively simple stunts he had to perform at the docks set, he broke his ankle and was off the shoot for a few days. During that time they filmed a number of shots with a body double and our creature team tracked in a CG version of his head to match. There's also a number of times in the end fight where Don Cheadle is all CG.

Saw the movie this weekend as well and I must say I really enjoyed it.

Dog town, not sure how you handle all the CG but keep it up they looked great.

Pretty good movie, lots of FX in it. I saw it in 3D as the normal show was sold out. My advice ,don't spend the money on the 3D version. I'll probably see this again in 2D just to catch it again without the 3D distraction.

Yeah, it's another 3D post-conversion, which is very common these days and isn't the most satisfying and immersive experience. Films that are shot in 3D with stereo cameras are very, very complicated and expensive to make, but the integration is so much easier on the eyes. "Life of Pi" was one of the more recent examples of the latter and it definitely showed in a 3D theater.

As for "Ironman 3" VFX, it was full of a lot of good work. To think about it from an Army perspective others here may better understand, there was a full on regiment of VFX soldiers working on this film, with one taking care of the big sequences like the house getting attacked, another handling the Air Force one sequence and mine handling the end sequence at the docks. Within those battalions there are a lot of rifle companies, weapons companies and fire teams manoeuvring to the objective. I was but a squad leader within a platoon of FX guys in charge of handling all of the thruster effects from the ironman suits. There were layers and layers of these effects, from the smoke trails to the sparks on ignition to the beams when shooting. A whole other platoon of guys handle all of the animation and layout of the shots, many of which were 100% CG while others were blended with the plates they shot on location or in a green screen set with some partially built crane or dock structure. It's a massive effort that requires all of the different groups to be firing on all cylinders and in-synch with one another, dynamically adjusting as the project hits bumps and changes - like a stack flowing through a structure, changing order moving from room to room or changing their sector of fire as gaps emerge within the group. And it's hours - lots of hours. 12-14 hour days were pretty normal for me from the start of the new year until mid-April and it goes from 5 days a week quickly to 6 days and then 7 as we approach the end. That's why so many of us go on vacation immediately afterwards; because we're fried mentally from the technical artistry and physically from the long hours. Me, I just get some recoil therapy :)

Last edited:
I actually wound up watching it twice this weekend and liked it both times. I would second however the opinion to skip the 3D showings. The problem in the 3D showings is too much tends to be out of focus except the one or two foreground things and that detracts greatly from the overall look of the movie.

Great movie and lots of fun, as long as you ignore the many laws of physics and mass and biology that are totally ignored HA!

Boring. Great CG but man the plot had a ton of holes and really lacked the 'feel' that the first two had. WTF was the lame ass 40min detour with the kid ... pointless. This was really a movie about a guy who has some suits but never wears them, rather he spends his time getting his ass kicked (by everything) and delivering lame dialog.

I dunno, the whole movie felt 'forced' to me, as if they were making it up as they went and it was a far cry from what we all loved about I and II.

P.S. Don't waste the money on the 3D version, +1 what W54 said.

Neat little unknown/hidden facts:
http://www.nextmovie.com/blog/iron-man-3-easter-eggs/

Last edited:
I saw it last night in 3D also. I liked the 3D, but it would have been just as good in regular 2D. Don't pay the extra money, especially if you don't really care for 3D anyway.

I liked this movie the best of the 4 (including Avengers). The first movie was very good until the last 15 minutes. The "other" ironman was just cheesy. The villian in the second was good, but the "army" of ironmen was too much for me and it cheapened the whole plot.

This villian is good, no building of an Ironman or ironman-like device. His reasons were the understandable. I really liked this movie a lot. Easily the best of the 3. I highly recommend to see it at the theater. Worth the money for sure.

People probably noticed that Guy Pearce was all or partially CG in the end sequence, but I bet no one caught several shots where we replaced Robert Downey Jrs head with a CG one. During one of the relatively simple stunts he had to perform at the docks set, he broke his ankle and was off the shoot for a few days. During that time they filmed a number of shots with a body double and our creature team tracked in a CG version of his head to match. There's also a number of times in the end fight where Don Cheadle is all CG.

I could totally tell... Is that the best you guys could do man? Pssh...

I saw it in IMAX 3D and honestly I could do without the 3D. To me it was better than 2, but 1 is still my favorite. I was hoping to see more of the Hulkbuster armor, but I think that'll come in Avengers 2.

There was originally a bit more of the Hulkbuster in action, but they cut it because in the context of this film it only really made sense to fans of the comic.

Cool, I didn't know that. Were they filmed scenes? If so hopefully they'll be on the DVD for us nerds. :)

Answer me this Dog.....why the fuck did they make a toy or whatever of the Deep Space Armor and then do jack and shit with it? Those fuckers made a lot of people expect a Guardians of the Galaxy sneak in there.

Nope, in fact the shots of the Hulkbuster are all CG except for a couple of the shipping containers he crashes through. As for the deep space armor, it was in there with stealth and a number of others like Hyper Velocity, Red Snapper, etc because those are all suits from the comics (apparently). Maybe it will get a more prominent role in a future film, who knows? At the time I started working on it I shared an office with a guy who was a huge fan of the comics and as shots were turned over from Layout he'd get super excited, "OMG! This shot has the Stealth suit and Heartbreaker!" He shared your enthusiasm, but I guess there's only so much you can do in a single two hour film.

The problem in the 3D showings is too much tends to be out of focus except the one or two foreground things and that detracts greatly from the overall look of the movie.

Great movie and lots of fun, as long as you ignore the many laws of physics and mass and biology that are totally ignored HA!

Thanks for saying that, I thought it was me since I need to wear prescription glasses under the 3D ones. Overall I thought the movie was good, but I was let down a little because I had higher expectations of the film, and from some early reviews from other people who saw it.

BTW I also just found out that if a movie is listed as close captioned, you need a device to actually see the closed captioning.

We both thought it was good. I do think they kind wrapped up the series with the ending.

"I am Ironman." Tony Stark. Really, think about the plot of the movie and what T.S. said at the end of the movie. It really should make a lot of sense.

If you stayed till the credits were over it said Tony Stark will return

Yeah, in the next instalment of "The Avengers" and while IM3 was expected to be the last for a while, it's at $948 million worldwide right now and still climbing. Marvel knows a cash cow when they see one.

Yeah, in the next instalment of "The Avengers" and while IM3 was expected to be the last for a while, it's at $948 million worldwide right now and still climbing. Marvel knows a cash cow when they see one.

With it over 1 bil they will make another...... Easy a cake, id take it till it ran dry. Money is easy for Marvel right now.

This made me laugh.
image.jpg