• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Iron sight suggestions for my G.A. Precision Thunder Ranch?

Quickdraw Outlaw

Private
Minuteman
Oct 24, 2013
16,000 yards east of KC
I know I could call GAP and they would set me up pronto.

But, part of the fun on here is to see what others are doing.

Want to have backup iron sights for my rifle. Want to look at all options. It's a long winter and GAP shop is 15 minutes from where I work.

Thanks.

GAPoverall_zps9207fcf8.jpg

Gapright_zpsd0ac0287.jpg

Gaprightfront_zps708dd7a2.jpg

Have them fix you up for the highpower match rifle category. You'll need the receiver drilled and tapped for the rear peep type and top of the muzzle for the front site, or turned to take a dovrtailed barrel band. Both accept front sites with changeable sized holes. Check Champions Choice or Creedmore Sports. 'Course you gotta carry the parts around. Cost you $500. give or take. Good as ascope if you have good eyes.

I started to make a set for my M40A1, but never finished because I didn't want to have to remove the scope to finish the project. But, here's what I did.

The rear is easy. You should be able to find a peep sight that fits the rear bridge screw holes.

For the front sight, I did not want to alter my barrel (ruining the M40A1 "look"). So, I got a 1" Redfield rear scope ring, and had a machinist mill a dovetail across the flat bottom of the bottom ring (the flat that sits on the base). This is to mount a standard dovetail front sight (height to be determined). I slid the ring (up-side-down/sight up) up my barrel until it found its 1" diameter barrel position, marked the barrel with a pencil. Then I took the rings apart and reassembled them on the barrel just slightly behind the pencil mark so the rings were tight on the barrel and the sight was vertical. Then I took a center punch and lightly put reference dimples in two spots where the ring/barrel juncture near the top. The dimples on the top of the barrel are barely noticeable unless you know they are there.

Once sighted in and removed, the zero should be pretty close once reinstalled- close enough to check with just a few rounds.

Gerhman Economical Rear sight (olympic style that mounts on a rail) + a Lyman Model 93 mounted on an appropriate height dovetail.

Done, no need to take off the scope base, just remove scope, attatch Gerhman and the front sight, and keep shooting!

I have the same rifle, I love it. I would mount a doctor style reddot on a 45 angle off of the scope rings.

But the thought of putting iron sights on a GAP is like letting a 2 year old draw stick figures
on a Picasso. WHY? for close to 500$ for sights, buy another scope, or carry a sling shot.

Gerhman Economical Rear sight (olympic style that mounts on a rail) + a Lyman Model 93 mounted on an appropriate height dovetail.

Done, no need to take off the scope base, just remove scope, attatch Gerhman and the front sight, and keep shooting!

Got a link to that rear sight? All I can find is dove-tail mounts from Gehmann. No picatinny/weaver. Or are you saying get dovetail rings/base?

I like playing with irons, occasionally.