• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Is 20 mrads enough

EbarOEF

Private
Minuteman
Mar 24, 2013
For 800 to 1000 yards? I'm using sierra 168's remington 700p. Or do I need a 20 moa base and If I use a 20 moa base will it effect 50 to 100 yrd shots.

168's aren't great for 800+. I'd use 175+'s and go ahead and get a 20moa base. You'll have no problem zeroing at 100 - I use a 30moa base and a scope with 28 mrad for total elevation travel.

I have been thinking of using the 175s I have a couple hundred 168s left I think ill switch after thanks for the advice.

Suggest you switch to 175s. 168s will get you out to a grand but you won't get consistent accuracy. 11-12 mils is enough to get to 1000, depending on the bullet/load.

Ughhhh stupid question but I can take the criticism lol so 20 mrads would give me 10 mils both ways right? And adding 20 moa base would extend me to what?

A 20moa base is 5.8 mils. With a 100 yard zero you'll be somewhere around 4 mils from the bottom of your travel, leaving you 16 mils to go up.

Anyone wanna sell their 20 moa base here in az? Lol I need one by wed so I can zero thursday

Well after a bit of thinking I've decided no 20 moa base extra 120 for ammo lol. In all reality I won't be getting to any 1000yrd ranges and if I do it'll be a challenge lol

In that case roll with what you have and once you zero, you will see just how many mils left you have and will know what your scope's limitations are. Do not try to force that last bit of elevation out though, once it gets tight, stop. Of course you can always hold past that limitation as well; that's what those vertical mildots are there for.

As for the 168's, if you're not hitting the transonic zone (~1300fps, atmosphere dependent) then you're ok. Typically that happens around the 800yd line with 168 FGMM but will again depend on the atmospherics and muzzle velocity. Inside there? Awesome bullet to shoot and usually a more economical option as well.