• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Is 30 MOA rail too much?

Boydo

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 13, 2011
Washington, IL
I just bought a Bighorn TL2 long action that I am going to build a 7mm Rem Mag on. It did not come with a scope rail so after talking to Bighorn Arms, all they have available is a 30MOA scope rail. I am going to put a nightforce NXS 5.5-22x56 Mil/Mil scope on it, but I'm worried that the 30MOA will be too much. Can anyone give me insight on this?

I'm just worried about being able to get a 100 yard zero and maxing my scope out on the top of its adjustment range. Most, if not all, of my shooting will be 1000 yards or less.

It's not too much. Your scope has over 90 minutes of adjustment. A 45 MOA rail would be pushing it.

You'll be a OK. I have a 30 MOA rail on a 6BR with a 624i (26 mils of elevation) and I use a 100 yard zero. That NXS has 27.3 mils of total elevation adjustment.

I have a 30MOA rail and 20MOA rings on my norma and it's still zeroed at 100m. Using a 5-25x PM2

That scope has an internal elevation adjustment range of 100 MOA. If you assume that a 0 MOA scope base will leave you about 50 MOA of come ups and a 20 MOA rail would take you to 70 MOA, that's a lot of room. I don't shoot 7mm Rem Mag but I would guess that you would have to shoot a long way to need more than that. Heck I would think 50 MOA would get you out pretty far.