• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Is 308 sufficient for whitetail?

JelloStorm

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 23, 2010
Northeast Pennsylvania
I currently use a Remmy 700 30-06 for deer and I've recently scored a Remington 700 varmint 308 (action and barrel).

I'd like to use this for deer plus the recoil on my little 30-06 mountain rifle is a bit much to really enjoy shooting it.

Are there any drawbacks to going to 308 from 30-06? And how much knock-down power would I lose?

Re: Is 308 suffiecient for whitetail?

we hunt deer here in indiana w/ .357 and 44 mags all the time w/ plenty of knockdown... i would LOVE to hunt w/ a .308 you are loosing nothing by hunting whitetail w/ a .308

I went from a 410 slug gun to a 30-30 to a 308. And have never needed any more power. The only thing you'll be losing is a jolt from the 30.06.

.308 is fantastic Deer medicine, more than enough energy for what your doing. Like PP said above, you wont miss the recoil
smile.gif

I'd hunt with a .223 if I could. Since I usually have it with me when I see the most of the deer. My deer gun is either a .243 or .257 what ever I feel like that day.

YES a .308 will take anything in the lower 48. Maybe moose or big bear would make me lean to somthing bigger.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: coldboremiracle</div><div class="ubbcode-body">.308 is fantastic Deer medicine, more than enough energy for what your doing. Like PP said above, you wont miss the recoil
smile.gif
</div></div>

You aren't shitting me there. My father bought my gun for me when I was like 11 or 12. I used to be scared of the gun and would constantly flinch when shooting it. I used to hate going to the range because of that gun's recoil.

It wasn't til I got a lot older that I could manage the recoil and my accuracy improved. It's just a light-weight Remington 700 ADL mountain rifle with a 22" barrel IIRC, so that thing would wallop the shit out of me.

yes, the 308 is wicked deadly deer medicine

in fact, even though i hunt with one often, it's borderline overkill for whitetails under say 300 yards

A .308 can kill moose, elk, and bear if shot at a closer range and in the vitals... I'd say it can kill a whitetail if that's what your going for.

i use a rem 700 sps in .308 for pretty much all whitetails ive killed. never had them run more than 10 yards after i put one in them. i use 150gr hornady sst ammo, they dont have a chance. hell ive even used a 223. its all about shot placement.

A 308 will lay their asses out! More than enough to kill a deer, my dad used one for about 20 years on mule deer and they are much bigger than whitetail.

The only deer I killed last year was with a 308. He wouldn't have dropped any faster if I hit him in the head with a sledge hammer.

I'm 6 deer for 6 shots with an AR .223! and one of those was ranged at 413y and the Ar was wearing a wee little 16" barrel for that shot. He went 20 yards and folded up, the furthest any of them went.

Is your .308 enough????? snicker snicker giggle giggle

The Sierra bullet technicians (800-223-8799) advise me that "at least" 700 ft.Lbs. of energy is a "good rule of thumb" for whitetail. your .308 will likely still have 700lbs. at well beyond 600 yards!

i use a .243 and it does the trick on deer...a 308 will do the job. like everyone else said its all about shot placment

I've taken quite a few deer with 6mm back in the 80s with plain old soft points, so a .308 is MORE than enough especially when you consider the bullet improvements and options available today.

I think more deer fall to the lowly .22LR in professional deer culling than with any other caliber hunted...i can't substantiate this but I know there's alot of poaching going on with the same caliber...

if 22lr is enough for the pros, then the .308 is plenty.

Alot of PA hunters swear by the thuddy-ought-six but to be honest I think it's overkill. Dead is dead, but the 308 is such a smooth shooting caliber, and it's got a little insurance that the .243 does not have. both are fine...i'll take the bigger pill.

This doe dressed at 120lbs shot last december near new bethlehem PA using the (back then) new Marlin stick.
4184715767_00aa00be2c.jpg

hit her at the elbow with her leg forward and she ran 20-30 yards and piled up. was too dang cold to take pics during field dressing, and wife would not take pics during the processing or i'd show you the hole the federal factory 150gr SP made on the off side. was about 2" exit wound...but the insides were SOUP. VERY lethal IMO.

Most of the deer and hogs I've killed have been with a 308 or smaller.
CW

Awesome! Looks like I gotten a bunch of the answer that I want to hear, so my next build will be a 308. Can't wait!

More than enough. This one was at 562 yards, 165 grain ballistic tip.

Buck-2010.jpg

huntin1

Thanks.
Yeah, can't see the entry in the pic, he was angled slightly away, went in just behind the shoulder and took both lungs. He had just come out of a river, I tagged him when he topped out on the bank and stopped.

Rob Opp

Re: Is 308 sufficient for whitetail?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JelloStorm</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I currently use a Remmy 700 30-06 for deer and I've recently scored a Remington 700 varmint 308 (action and barrel).

I'd like to use this for deer plus the recoil on my little 30-06 mountain rifle is a bit much to really enjoy shooting it.

Are there any drawbacks to going to 308 from 30-06? And how much knock-down power would I lose?

</div></div>

Deer are really tough animals that have bullet proof fur, anything less than a .50bmg with APIT and/or SLAP/T is pointless. A .308 just won't cut the mustard when it comes to killing whitetail.

Branden

.308 is adequate

The question of when it loses adequecy is when you start to think about the range at which you shoot an animal.

It pretty much comes down to the muzzle velocity at a given range that will dictate the effective range of a rifle.

You will find that most projectiles expand well within the first few hundred yards.

Obviously for larger animals being closer helps those projectiles hold onto their kinetic energy.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JasonB</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think more deer fall to the lowly .22LR in professional deer culling than with any other caliber hunted...i can't substantiate this but I know there's alot of poaching going on with the same caliber... </div></div>

What he said and PLACEMENT > CALIBER

I shot an 800lb. Elk over the weekend with my 308 so yeah it will do the job. I had to track him about 8feet from POI. I sold a browning 30-06 that I absolutely hated shooting and built my 308 Best thing I ever did

Definitely will do the job on whitetails. I use to use all the big magnums on deer growing up but they just aren't needed. With the less recoil you will practice more with it and be able to take longer shots.

if this can do it, a .308 sure as hell can

217684c5.jpg

180gr Nosler Partition will tip over 1200lb moose all day out to ranges of 300 yards....if hitting the engine room! Works fine on grizz too. For deer, I would try a lighter bullet weight.

308 700 varmint? To me, I would take the lighter weight 06 mtn rifle.

I have successfully used a 700P .308 for years in the deer woods. Getting your load right is the challenge. I came back from my annual trip to TN this season without getting to have a real world test with a 208 AMAX load for my 308. I'm hoping that it will be my new hunting load.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GardDog223</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have successfully used a 700P .308 for years in the deer woods. Getting your load right is the challenge. I came back from my annual trip to TN this season without getting to have a real world test with a 208 AMAX load for my 308. I'm hoping that it will be my new hunting load. </div></div>

I hit a buck with a 208 Amax from my .308 last year, it ran about 25 yards before it hit the ground. Clearly, the .308, even with a hot 208 amax load, isn't enough for the whitetail.

Branden

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dust_Remover</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Clearly, the .308, even with a hot 208 amax load, isn't enough for the whitetail.
</div></div>

I have shot a buck with a .300 WSM at 50 yards (double lung) that was still running at 115 yards when the second shot broke it's back and rolled it. I'm not following the "isn't enough" philosophy. Any caliber that can put the animal down is enough. I'm sure that you've seen the deer stand video camera footage of the buck in Texas that was shot through the heart and was spraying blood with every heartbeat as it trotted to it's doom 50-75 yards away. I have dropped them in their tracks and I have blood trailed them over ridges and down valleys. There is more to the equation than caliber selection.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dust_Remover</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GardDog223</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have successfully used a 700P .308 for years in the deer woods. Getting your load right is the challenge. I came back from my annual trip to TN this season without getting to have a real world test with a 208 AMAX load for my 308. I'm hoping that it will be my new hunting load. </div></div>

I hit a buck with a 208 Amax from my .308 last year, it ran about 25 yards before it hit the ground. Clearly, the .308, even with a hot 208 amax load, isn't enough for the whitetail.

Branden </div></div>

Seriously?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GardDog223</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dust_Remover</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Clearly, the .308, even with a hot 208 amax load, isn't enough for the whitetail.
</div></div>

I have shot a buck with a .300 WSM at 50 yards (double lung) that was still running at 115 yards when the second shot broke it's back and rolled it. I'm not following the "isn't enough" philosophy. Any caliber that can put the animal down is enough. I'm sure that you've seen the deer stand video camera footage of the buck in Texas that was shot through the heart and was spraying blood with every heartbeat as it trotted to it's doom 50-75 yards away. I have dropped them in their tracks and I have blood trailed them over ridges and down valleys. There is more to the equation than caliber selection. </div></div>

Well put....

I dropped 2 does in their tracks this year with my 5.56 AR. Shot placement is key with the smaller calibers, but it was enough.

.308 is plenty of power. Hit them in the right spot with the right bullet and about anything is possible.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PGS</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dust_Remover</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GardDog223</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have successfully used a 700P .308 for years in the deer woods. Getting your load right is the challenge. I came back from my annual trip to TN this season without getting to have a real world test with a 208 AMAX load for my 308. I'm hoping that it will be my new hunting load. </div></div>

Branden </div></div>

Seriously? </div></div>

I'm being extensively sarcastic folks. I'm firmly in the shot placement crowd. A .22 CB is sufficient when placed correctly, same goes for anything else you use. Put the round where it counts, and the animal will go down.

Branden

As long as there are no bears where you are hunting, the .308 is fine. Using up to 180 grain bullets, you are only losing about 100 fps of velocity going from the .30-06 to the .308. At the distances you are shooting, the deer will not know the difference.

If you hunt where there are bears, the sound of your shot at the deer will be a dinner bell for the bears, and one or more may come running to try to take your kill away from you. In such cases, whatever rifle you have in your hands at the time will tend to look pretty puny, but in such areas, I would recommend neither the .308 nor the .30-06. I would suggest something more like a .338 Win. Mag. or a .375 H&H Mag.

Yes, I know a .308 or .30-06 will kill a bear, but we are talking about a charging bear here, which needs to be stopped right now. Thus, lots of power is needed, as well as bigger bullets and careful shot placement.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dust_Remover</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PGS</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dust_Remover</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GardDog223</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have successfully used a 700P .308 for years in the deer woods. Getting your load right is the challenge. I came back from my annual trip to TN this season without getting to have a real world test with a 208 AMAX load for my 308. I'm hoping that it will be my new hunting load. </div></div>

Branden </div></div>

Seriously? </div></div>

I'm being extensively sarcastic folks. I'm firmly in the shot placement crowd. A .22 CB is sufficient when placed correctly, same goes for anything else you use. Put the round where it counts, and the animal will go down.

Branden </div></div>

Ooooooooohhhhhhh........I missed the sarcasm. No worries.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tigerhawk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yes, I know a .308 or .30-06 will kill a bear, but we are talking about a charging bear here, which needs to be stopped right now. Thus, lots of power is needed, as well as bigger bullets and careful shot placement.</div></div>

If you're truly worried about a bear attacking you after shooting your whitetail deer, then I suggest 12 gauge with slugs. When you're field dressing, place some claymores on the perimeter and have your hunting buddy conduct overwatch with the 50 BMG...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tigerhawk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">As long as there are no bears where you are hunting, the .308 is fine. Using up to 180 grain bullets, you are only losing about 100 fps of velocity going from the .30-06 to the .308. At the distances you are shooting, the deer will not know the difference.

If you hunt where there are bears, the sound of your shot at the deer will be a dinner bell for the bears, and one or more may come running to try to take your kill away from you. In such cases, whatever rifle you have in your hands at the time will tend to look pretty puny, but in such areas, I would recommend neither the .308 nor the .30-06. I would suggest something more like a .338 Win. Mag. or a .375 H&H Mag.

Yes, I know a .308 or .30-06 will kill a bear, but we are talking about a charging bear here, which needs to be stopped right now. Thus, lots of power is needed, as well as bigger bullets and careful shot placement. </div></div>

I ran into a bear one time. MOTHER FUCKIN BEARS. Guess what happened to him?

T2JDHandheldMinigun-9.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tigerhawk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">As long as there are no bears where you are hunting, the .308 is fine. Using up to 180 grain bullets, you are only losing about 100 fps of velocity going from the .30-06 to the .308. At the distances you are shooting, the deer will not know the difference.

Yes, I know a .308 or .30-06 will kill a bear, but we are talking about a charging bear here, which needs to be stopped right now. Thus, lots of power is needed, as well as bigger bullets and careful shot placement. </div></div>

What kind of bears are you talking about? I've killed some very large black bears with my .308 and never felt undergunned. Most of the black bear hunting I do in Wyoming and Montana is lousy with grizzlys as well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rosie Palma</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tigerhawk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yes, I know a .308 or .30-06 will kill a bear, but we are talking about a charging bear here, which needs to be stopped right now. Thus, lots of power is needed, as well as bigger bullets and careful shot placement.</div></div>

If you're truly worried about a bear attacking you after shooting your whitetail deer, then I suggest 12 gauge with slugs. When you're field dressing, place some claymores on the perimeter and have your hunting buddy conduct overwatch with the 50 BMG... </div></div>

LOL, thats one of the better laughs I've had in a while. Way to go man.

.308 and the hornady TAP ammo out of a LTR have piled the deer up like core wood on our farm. Its all you need for whitetail. I do have a 7mmwsm too that I will be useing for longer shots and mule deer.

On a moose hunt unit 15, in camp at night, had a bear in the brush all night wanting it, could hear him stomping and ripping, popping, break some brush, circle, pop his teeth then get real scary quite and he was back on but he never came into camp as we made as much noise as possible to keep him away, banging on a cast iron frypan. Never once saw him but who cares when you know he is just a few yards away. I was toting my 340Wby 250gr Partitians like always, I think my bud had 06 and 44 mags on the hips. I was scared with brown shorts, not really as I was so tight I doubt a toothpick could have been driven up there with a 30 pound post maul, but my bud was darn near in a panic. He fired two rounds in the air that did not faze booboo but the banging pan did. So, even having firearms in the ready at night and if toting 375, 416, 458 or 50bmg, I do not think it would have been possible to fell him if he charged.

99% of bear charges are not charges at all but bluffs to show their unhappiness. Anyone here had an actual charge making contact? I had one, got lucky. Walking in head high brush, heard campraiders so knew something was up, got a faint whiff then in less than a second, the bear came out from the brush on my side around 4-oclock, I "bearly" had time to turn my head and see the charge let alone draw my weapon. If a human can cover 21 feet before a draw! He bumped into me and kept on going, jumped up on a rock about 15 yards away, stared me down popping his teeth and stomping. I backed up and left the area, took off in a dead sprint once I cleared the area. Bears do not come down a trail in front of you from 100 yards away giving you time to draw standing on hind legs giving you a good shot like on TV. They come head down and a full sprint and make a small hard to hit target even if you have time. Shot placement and magnum power is/was irrelevant. There is a difference between a bluff and an actual hell bent charge. The campraiders were on his cache as was he but I got lucky. I knew he was in the area not just sure where but by that time I was too close.

Still, I would not hesitate to use a 308win with 180gr Part loaded hot in Alaska with the great bears around. The last time I took my 340 out with 250g, darn near dropped my fillings out of my teeth, I am very recoil shy in my old age and can shoot a 308 much better and the shorter barrel is a plus too.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rob Opp</div><div class="ubbcode-body">More than enough. This one was at 562 yards, 165 grain ballistic tip.

Buck-2010.jpg

huntin1 </div></div>

Nice buck Rob!!!! The shot wasn't too shabby either.
wink.gif

I was bluff charged by a blackie at Lake Arthur north of pittsburgh and all i had with me was a shotgun with a bunch of bird shot. I was hunting squaks and as I was returning up the same trail i originally went down i noticed a "stump" in the dark on the access road. as I got closer (about 40 yards) i realized the stump wasn't, and that's when the stump noticed me. though small, about 150 lbs, this blackie scared the bejeezus out of me and i had already unloaded the 12ga pump for the walk back in the twilight. I could still see, but not well enough to shoot any squirrels so i was comitted to getting back to the car. gut instict was to shove as many shells in as I could fit and I did just that.

The bear grunted and snapped it's jaws in my direction, scratching the ground and then charged me to 15 yards. i swear a half a step more and i was blasting him. i dumped a round over his head and he stopped, popping and growling again. I just remember the way his nose wiggled like a little mini elephant trunk around his pearly whites. i replaced the spent shell and loaded another in the tube. he started coming toward me again, and i dumped another load into the gravel in front of him...we are 12-15 yards apart now, and my asshole is puckered BAD. luckily this shot kicked alot of high velocity shit off the ground into his face and he bolted back the way he came.

A fat guy has never been seen running so fast to get back to his car EVER. since that day I hated the thought of seeing a bear in the woods. Until 3 wks ago. I was on stand near New Bethlehem PA and around 6pm i hear crunch crunch coming toward me about 75 yards out. then i see a little black bouncing ball...i thought it was a large turkey...then another one...and another one, all the same size. still too far away to tell what they were then the fourth one steps into view and it's about the size of a V-dub Beetle. FORK. and another little one behind that one. a momma and 4 cubs. I'm in full camo, wind in my favor, and they are crossing a powerline 30 yards away from me. then the last little troublemaker cub smells something as he's crossing the cut and looks straight at my tree. he makes a bee line for it.

he took a very keen interest in an orange vest I had tried to tie to the tree to stay legal (100 sq inches of orange when archery hunting during small game) and dropped it. He was snorting and sniffing like mad at it and grunting. Momma took notice and all i had was my bow and a buck 119 folder. I pulled the knife out of the sheath, opened it and stuck it in the tree, staying silent and nocked an arrow...i'm shitting my pants again...I hate bears.

Mommma starts coming over and i want them gone. so i drop a water bottle on baby bruiser and he yelps when it pops his head. he skee-daddles back to the other cubs leaving momma about 15 yards from the base of my tree looking all over the place. then she just moves on to the cubs and if i had a cig or a joint or a chew or a shot of whiskey i would have taken it. took me a half hour to calm back down and stop shaking...i hate bears. Feeling vulnerable is a sow with cubs taking interest in your tree when all you have is an old Bear Whitetail II and 3 arrows and a knife. I may have to start carrying my pistol in the woods with me when archery hunting in bear territory
smile.gif