• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes IS $600 retail for a Burris XTR II 5-25x50 a good deal?

2aBaC̶a̶

Humans are amusing
Minuteman
Jan 27, 2019
I Da ho
Just wondering if this is one of those deals too good to pass up.

From a reputable online retailer.

Model 201055 in some prym1 sand camo.

These are/will be getting blown out with the imminent arrival of the XTR3. Excellent scopes in the $5-600 range.

Reactions: Bender
On the secondary market at least... because no one wants old tech.

The XTRII has not been superseded or replaced. They came out with a scope to compete at a higher price point. It has nothing to do with their cheaper line. Optics planet was selling the Sand 5-25s for 695 6 or 8 months ago, and 6 or 8 months before that.

Reactions: Mblackmon4
The XTRII has not been superseded or replaced. They came out with a scope to compete at a higher price point. It has nothing to do with their cheaper line. Optics planet was selling the Sand 5-25s for 695 6 or 8 months ago, and 6 or 8 months before that.

Right, I’m not saying that it is supposed to.

However you can say it’s not superseding or replacing a product and the new will still have an effect on the old sales, intended or not.

Kinda like what Bushnell did with the DMR2/DMR2 Pro. Were they supposed to compete with each other? Not in a vacuum, but that’s why you can buy Pros for original DMR2 money and original DMR2s for considerably less than that.

I anticipate the XTR2/3 will be very much the same.

Reactions: Bender
I see what you are saying. The market has become so crowded the prices on all the scopes has comes down. Especially in the secondary market. I remember when people were ecstatic to get a 4.5-18 LRHS for 1100, or a used Razor for 1900. Or when the a Gen 1 razor was 2k.

Reactions: just browsing
Is this a better scope than those Athons Midas and Ares that can be found on sale for around the same? Or a used Nikon 1000x.

Other than reticle i was looking at something like this.

Is this a better scope than those Athons Midas and Ares that can be found on sale for around the same? Or a used Nikon 1000x.

Midas Tac is an excellent scope in its own right and really the best option in the sub ~$500ish range.

XTR2 has long been a good option in the sub ~$1kish range, though market value has been dropping quickly as of late.

Both provide excellent values in their respective markets. I actually think the Athlon has a slight edge in terms of glass quality, reticle, and overall features at its price point, though it is certainly not as proven as the Burris at this point.

Reactions: ShtrRdy
I saw this and I’m still thinking about jumping on it, but it’s a bit confusing. The Prym1 scope is titled XTREME Tactical and the description says XTRII. Other Burris listings are titled XTREME Tactical, XTRII, or a combination of the two(XTREME Tactical XTRII). Are these different generations, as in different glass?

Obviously, they are different reticle, finishes and illumination/non-illumination. I’m looking at saving $100+ by going with the Prym, but wouldn’t want to miss something. I certainly don’t care about the color.

I like my Ares BTR better than the Burris, the glass and reticle are better IMO. Sold my Burris and I've kept the Athlon. Eyebox is tight on max power with the athlon, it's fine at 20 x.

Reactions: 2aBaC̶a̶
I saw this and I’m still thinking about jumping on it, but it’s a bit confusing. The Prym1 scope is titled XTREME Tactical and the description says XTRII. Other Burris listings are titled XTREME Tactical, XTRII, or a combination of the two(XTREME Tactical XTRII). Are these different generations, as in different glass?

Obviously, they are different reticle, finishes and illumination/non-illumination. I’m looking at saving $100+ by going with the Prym, but wouldn’t want to miss something. I certainly don’t care about the color.

All the specs say it's the same as the FDE one only Its the unattractive camo that makes for the discount. What does it cost to cerikote a scope? This version is illuminated scr mil/mil reticle,

Still on the fence, but only because I had a $500 budget. Is this a good enough deal I should splurge and step up to a better quality scope or stick with an athlon midas or used bushnell elite from the px.

Reactions: Tucker301
All the specs say it's the same as the FDE one only Its the unattractive camo that makes for the discount. What does it cost to cerikote a scope? This version is illuminated scr mil/mil reticle,

Still on the fence, but only because I had a $500 budget. Is this a good enough deal I should splurge and step up to a better quality scope or stick with an athlon midas or used bushnell elite from the px.

I don't think Cerakote or much of anything will stick to the coating on those scopes. That is what I was told anyway. I never tried, I am no a fashionista.

Somone could wrap it in black electrical tape or some other cammo tape if it bothers them that much.

Idgaf

Attachments

• IMAG0758_1.jpg
    IMAG0758_1.jpg
    194.2 KB · Views: 183
There may be comparable optics with better features but in that price range none of them will stand up to the abuse the XTR2 can. Not even close.

Reactions: Birddog6424
I bit and ordered one at $600 new...going to compare to my tango6 but if it’s even close it’s worth it

I ordered one a few weeks ago the first time they were on dvor at this price. Haven't done much with it but considering ordering another. Don't like the looks, but I prefer function over form.

Keep in mind Burris sets the reticle already compensated for a 20 rail so your elevation is really more like 30/60. I found this out the hard way.

Somone could wrap it in black electrical tape or some other cammo tape if it bothers them that much.

Idgaf

I use gaffers tape. Never peels and provides a fair amount of protection

Reactions: 2aBaC̶a̶
I bought one several weeks ago from Dvor. I thought the price was right but was worried about the camo. in person I think the camo looks much better than any of the online pics I have seen. It seems to track well and hopefully it will be able to handle some abuse.