• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Is a 1-4x a waste? Do I need more mag? Any Expert?

amedeo1227

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
Apr 15, 2012
Thibodaux, LA
I have been doing a lot of reading, and I am still not sure what to do.

Funds and limited

I just bought my AR15, and i want to do some target shooting. I have played with a lot of people's AR15s and seen plenty of set ups. I know I want something for CQB like a red dot, but i feel like they are only good at one thing. they do CQB really well, but besides that, nothing else. i know shoot at paper with 1x will get old quickly.

so i KNOW i want magnification, but i still want the option of a red dot. i feel like a red with magnifier is a waste because thats about $800-1000 for a good set up once you throw in mounts. i can get a nice piece of glass for that.

BUT!!!!!!!!!! I am worried that 4x wont be enough magnification for shooting long distance. The more i read, i feel like 10x is the minimum for long distance shots.

i feel like if i get a 1-4x that will do all of what i want pretty good, not perfect, but it will give me what i am looking for in all categories decently.

anyone have any experience in this? own one? used one?

any feedback on these would be nice, havent heard much from anyone who owns one.

Re: Is a 1-4x a waste? Do I need more mag? Any Expert?

Well, I have shot a few vermin with a Trijicon 1.25-4 on my AR. I feel that I have plenty of magnification for 400-500 yards at 4x on normal size targets (coyotes, USPSA targets, lots of steel).

That scope is right in the middle of your price range, and I would suggest the German #4 reticle. I have that scope in green, and I can not imagine using a different scope for what I do with it. I shoot multigun, yotes, and various targets of opportunity with my AR, and I have not "needed" more mag, but more may have been a benefit. I have thought about a 2.5-10 Nightforce...not sure how that will be for up-close-and-personal stages though...

I was pretty much in the same boat, I decided on the all new SWFA 1-6x that SWFA is doing the group buy on at the moment. The code for $200 off should be activated in the next few days at the rate they are going. If you haven't checked this out do yourself and everyone else a favor and go like SWFA.com on Facebook. This glass should get me out to 600-700 yards, this is plenty for the use I am going to put the gun through. I am running a LWRC 16" REPR that is a 7.62 btw.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Napsters</div><div class="ubbcode-body">At 200 off it will be 800. </div></div>

see i am not that comfortable spending $800 on a 1-6x, not right now at least.

i got a good price on the viper vortex pst 1-4x from libertyoptic.com

i was looking to spend about $500 max

for 800 i could do red dot with magnifier, i think the 1-4x should be enough considering what the first response above said.

if he can make shots out to 400m with that, maybe i can do the same with practice.

i am glad someone on here has one. i feel like i am about to purchase one blind. i am not poor, but anytime i drop big money like this, i like to know i am getting the right one and will last forever.

can i get good groups on 100m targets with a 1-4x? i know i wont have "percision" at 400m, but if i can at least hit the paper at 400m, right now that would be a good enough.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ogreshooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would suggest the German #4 reticle.

I shoot multigun and I have not "needed" more mag, but more may have been a benefit.

I have thought about a 2.5-10 Nightforce...not sure how that will be for up-close-and-personal stages though... </div></div>

1.what is a german #4?

2.how does the scope perform in multigun, or quick shots when dialed down (is it compairable to a red dot?)

3.i was wondering if a 2.5-10x scope like you mentioned (no particular brand right now), does that dial down enough for me to use in CQB?

In my opinion even a 4 or 5 power scope can be used at close range in a pinch as long as parallax isn't a problem.

Go here for the scope scecs:
http://swfa.com/Trijicon-1-4x24-Accu-Point-30mm-Rifle-Scope-P12892.aspx

The scope is designed to be used like a red-dot on low power. Lots of eye relief, and I find it every bit as user friendly as a red-dot.

I have used this scope for several years, and for years before that I had the old triangle style, and it was great for up close, but further out it quickly becomes a hinderance.

Also, perfect practice makes perfect. Get out and use your rifle and know where you hit at distance.

yeah cant swing the HD vortex, i am looking into the pst series

I have a Nightforce NXS 1-4X24 with the FC2 reticle on my LMT CQB and I really like it. With the illuminated reticle at 1X it's much like a red dot.

4X is rather limited if you want to shoot paper target.

i am in the same boat....my AR currently has my SWFA 5-20 on it while i practice long range until my first bolt rifle is complete, but i'm debating on what optic to put on it when that scope comes off.

i thought i wanted a 1-4 or now even the 1-6 SWFA but seeing the group my 16" noveske is capable of i'm thinking maybe the 3-9 SWFA may be the ticket. I'm not shooting 3 gun and even if i was i could hang a small dot (burris fastfire, dr optic) on the side for CQB and have better mag at longer ranges and be the same price as the new swfa 1-6.

Same here. 1-4x or 1-6x is not optimal to shoot groups on paper target. 1-8X may be, but it would be a long time before its price comes down.

Put a small red dot on a 45 deg mount and run a scope with whatever power you want on main rail.

I had a SS 1-4x and thought it was just about perfect for an AR-15, especially for under 300 meters.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Retoocs</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Put a small red dot on a 45 deg mount and run a scope with whatever power you want on main rail.</div></div>

Yeah. This is what I plan to do. Plus I'll have a better fast sight and a better long range scope if I go swfa 3-9 and a small dot (Burris fastfire or similar) and still be same price or less then 1-6 scope.

yeah but i want to keep it under $500, cant get both in good quality for that price

Mueller Speed Shot 1-4x 24. Not bad for 229.00

For under $500 there are a few Burris options on swfa sample list (used items) like tac30 1-4 and a few 1.5-6 options. I had the tac30 and was a nice optic for price and reticle was very bright. I just wanted a bit more mag and just bought a swfa 3-9 ffp off the sample list for $100 under retail plus it included butler creeks and a sun shade.

1-4 is ok, if you plan to shoot groups its a compromise. 1.5-6 or 2-8 may serve you better. Reticle choice will make a big difference in close, you need something that will bring your eye to center fast, and you'll want illumination. The 1-6s and 1-8s sound fantastic for variable range and application shooting but they are prohibitively priced. However 1.5x, 2x, or even 4x are usable both eyes open pretty fast if they offer good eye relief and FOV. I hate side mounted red dots, its more shit to snag, more weight, and another thing to worry about dropping the rifle on, course I only handled one, one time to form that opinion.

I've been in a similar optics predicament and purchased a 2-7 viper before they stopped making them. I shoot from 25-600 yards on paper, steel silhouettes, balloons, etc and its does everything I ask of it. I don't have problems using scopes with up to 3x on the low end up close, but I'm always glad to have more power on the high end. My complaints with scopes in this power range are usually poor reticle resign. For me, a thick reticle costs more accuracy than lower magnification.

My "perfect" AR long range optic would be a NF 2.5-10, but my next purchase will be a SWFA 3-9.