• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes Is a 1/8 MOA adjustment over rated?

gunsnjeeps

Retired Swab Jockey
Minuteman
Dec 15, 2009
Norfolk, Va
Not an MOA discussion. Looking at a Vortex Strike Eagle 5-25×56 to replace my Tasco World Class 24×44(Old Japanese, not modern) scope. My current scope is 1/8 MOA per click the Vortex is 1/4 MOA. Am I right in thinking it's not a big deal? Everything else about the Strike Eagle checks the boxes.

Rifle is a pre Accu trigger Savage Palma .308 throated for M118LR. Bought with the Tasco on it several years ago. I shoot Long Range with it (1K) a couple times a year, but i don't shoot it much other than that because of counting 1/8 MOA clicks down to other ranges.

Get mil. 8th moa is for adjusting very precise rifles into the x-ring at 300 + yards.

32DDF51E-3ACF-4158-84B4-619526229C8F.jpeg

Well, we use the equivalent of 1/3 MOA with .1 Mil

I have a 22-250 with 1/8 MOA scope. Just depends on the application I suppose.

Is your rifle and ammo capable of sub 1/4 minute?
That is a stupid analogy.
There is a point there. I can move the group by 1/4 MOA and call the shot. The reason I think that 1/4 is ok is that on a 10" X Ring a 1/4 MOA gives 2 to 3 stops in the X (2.6" a click on target). Now if only I could hold 1 MOA at 1K, sling and coat no rests. From a bag I can get 1/2 groups, but not on my elbows.

I think i knew my answer but sometimes we tend to over think things.

I think that it all depends on what discipline you're shooting. If it's bench rest, you'll want 1/8 MOA clicks. For tactical, 1/4 is better.

I personally think being able to perfectly center your group is a bad ass capability. The Razor gen 1 could do it, I don't know why other manufacturers don't seem to offer it.

It's not a matter of being able to shoot 1/8th minute group... it's a matter of being able to center your .8 minute group onto what you're aiming at. If you have only 1/4 minute or 1/10th mil adjustments, you can only center your group at best 1/8th minute or 0.5/10th mil... which is fine, I just favor my group to the left (anywhere from 1/8th minute to just a hair left) because spin drift takes it right anyways (maybe a quarter minute? figure my offset takes it to the point where it's completely negligible and I can forget about it from 0-1000)

Last edited:
For most shooters it's highly overrated, because most shooters can't aim better than 1/4 moa when shooting groups anyways. I know I usually can't aim much better than that when shooting off a bipod, and I switch to a more stable front rest if I really need/want to aim more accurately than that. I'd wager most shooters would fall into the same boat there, and if you can't aim more precisely than your adjustments it's fairly useless to make that small of an adjustment.

For people shooting F-class/benchrest matches then the 1/8 MOA can be a big advantage. At 600 yards that 1/8 MOA is 0.79 inches, more than 10% of the size of the X-ring, and at 1,000 yards it becomes 1.31 inches. Many matches have been won or lost because of shots that missed the X-ring by an inch or less, so at that level of competition it definitely becomes important if not borderline necessary. For the average shooter or even the top PRS competitor who is mostly shooting at targets in the 2 MOA size range, it really doesn't matter because you won't be able to aim with that level of precision in the first place.

I just ordered a Sightron 45x45 BR scope for use on a BR 22BR rifle I'm going to be building on one of Vudoo's new V-22S actions. This sucker has 1/10th MOA clicks, which probably sounds ridiculous to most of us, but for 22RF BR & F-Class comps, I think I'm going to like the fine clicks. For any of the other 22RF games (PRS-type or NRL22) I shoot, a 1/8 MOA scope would be a royal PITA, especially since none of the ones I've ever seen had a zero stop. I strongly prefer a Mil scope for 22RF practical/tactical shooting.

But I've shot a whole lot more 4x600 & 4x1000 any rifle/any sight prone matches than I have BR or F-Class, and never used any scope with finer than 1/4 MOA clicks there. Even when shooting one of my 6 Dasher prone rifles, I've never felt the need for anything finer than quarter MOA. Most of the time, I'll hold for wind changes instead of clicking anyway, especially when the wind's fishtailing, back & forth.