• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Is a 20x scope too much for engaging targets at under 600yds 75% of the time

Twnorton

Private
Minuteman
Jul 15, 2014
Trying to buy a new scope and have narrowed it down to the 12x 16x or 20x scopes from SWFA. I found a deal on the 20x,that's why I'm asking. I think I would prefer the 16x but I'm looking for your guys opinions.

it's probably not too much magnification for that range, but you may find yourself running into some issues with mirage at that magnification, depending on where you live and when you like to shoot during the day.

it's probably not too much magnification for that range, but you may find yourself running into some issues with mirage at that magnification, depending on where you live and when you like to shoot during the day.

I don't shoot until later afternoon/ evening

For targets under 600 yards I would go no more than 12x due to the small exit pupil, in both 16x and 20x, for shooting late afternoon/evening conditions.

Exit pupil: 12x = 3.5mm, 16x = 2.6mm, 20x = 2.1mm

For targets under 600 yards I would go no more than 12x due to the small exit pupil, in both 16x and 20x, for shooting late afternoon/evening conditions.

Exit pupil: 12x = 3.5mm, 16x = 2.6mm, 20x = 2.1mm

This. Also while the SWFA's have good glass for their price point, it's not good enough for a 16x or 20x, it looks dark and it will fatigue your eye. The 10x or 12x is a safe bet andnisnmore than plenty magnification for what you're looking to do.

It depends on what kind of shooting you are doing. In many "tactical" style match stages where you are transitioning between far-apart targets and such under time pressure, I would say 'yes' -- for me 20x would take too long to "find" the targets (for < 600 yards in such situations, I'm usually around 12x), zooming in and out too time-inefficient (even with a switchview type lever), and 12x or so is plenty to hit 2 MOA+ sized steel.

For me, personally, learning to back off on the zoom in many situations has been one of the more valuable experience-taught lessons that has made me a better shooter (not that I am anywhere near the top in most matches, but "better" is better).

Also, unless shooting paper for high-precision, or shooting pretty damn small steel, I can't imagine the difference between 12x and 20x being all that helpful in terms of practical precision. I suppose it could be helpful in some field situations for discerning partially obscured targets if you know about where they are.

I haven't heard many people ever say 'i wish i had less magnification', at least as it relates to a variable power scope. If this is a pure fixed power i would go lower, to get better FOV as others have eluded to. The only trade off to a higher power would be if your reticle is SFP, and is designed to only be true to MOA / MILs at that highest magnification. It may not be ideal to range things with a reduced FOV at the ranges you are talking.

I used to always max out my magnifications in the low to mid teens. Got a 25x, now that my eyes are getting worse as i age, and I like the extra mag.

I would get the 12x for reasons stated above. You're not going to like the 20x in most conditions other than mild weather, bright sun, no mirage benchrest perfect conditions. There are very few times and places where you can have no mirage with bright sun. I suppose if this was a winter-only setup....

Is a 20x scope too much for engaging targets at under 600yds 75% of the time

Yes.

Fixed 20X do a few things well, and suck balls at everything else.

SS is a great way to go, especially in a low price fixed power, but 20X will not be your friend. For under 600 yards most of the time, get the 10X, most versatile, planty of magnification for rounds on target to and beyond 600 yards.