• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Hunting & Fishing Is a 400 yd + Shot Really That Hard???

skinney_7

Hammer down.
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
  • Aug 23, 2008
    SD
    www.oneillops.com
    Packing up my equipment i set out on another solo mission... to kill more coyotes.
    making my set on the side of a bank, laying prone in some tall sweet clover, i let the call break the silence, only having time for one set, i opened the display of my HD camera and waited...
    shooter.jpg

20 minutes later... i hear the familiar noise of dogs panting... knowing they were close i zoomed the camera out and tried my best to bark and stop this pair that were coming in WAY to hard. (one dog top left of decoy the other top right)
    2hardchargers.jpg

both winded the call, knowing i was screwed, i hit a distressed coyote, and held one up... (black spot just high and left of the middle post)
    400ydszoomedout.jpg

with a little zoom...
    400ydszoomedin.jpg

a quick glance in my NP-R1 gave me the assumption this dog was 350-400yds, so i held 5.5 minutes and the vapor trail followed, taking the dog down with it...
    faceplant.jpg

its hard to see but through the rangefinder reading 426yds you can see the black line that is the bank i was shooting from.
    426range.jpg

another dog down,
    interview-1.jpg

As always fellas, ENJOY!!!

Re: Is a 400 yd + Shot Really That Hard???

Good shooting.

The 498 and 602 I made this last deer season both went pretty smoothly........

My very first deer kill was at 433 yards when I was 14 with a 30-06 remington 721, I would say that at that distance it does take skill (I missed several shots at that distance when I first started hunting), but once you get used to taking shots like that, it becomes second nature almost.

Love the story with the pics by the way.

I do quite a bit of range time with skinney. My gun and myself are certainly capable of 1/2 - 3/4 MOA at 400 yards.
    In my experience, groups on paper or steel is easy when you've got a chance to study the conditions and adjust.
    Making kill shots on deer aren't that difficult either, but I think I've only taken 3 shots beyond 375 on coyotes and I'm 1 for 3.

A coyote size critter, in field conditions when range is changing and wind angle speed could be completely different, depending on which route the dog takes...maybe not difficult, but certainly not easy. Not yet for me anyways.

Took one once at 527 with a first round, but he was setting on a rock and I had plenty of time to prep. Oh and it didn't hurt that it was in the middle of an area that I have fired hundred of rounds from.

They get small out there, but I'd still choose taking a controlled ~400 yard prone shot over an offhand 50yd runner zig zaggin' through the brush any day!!!
    Pretty much every serious coyote hunter I know is an excellent rifleman in the field. Kinda can't be one without the being the other...
    Good shot, dude!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: knockemdown</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I'd still choose taking a controlled ~400 yard prone shot over an offhand 50yd runner zig zaggin' through the brush any day!!!
    </div></div>
    isn't that the truth!!!

Skinney...over 400 in the field under hunting conditions is hard for the average guy that shoots his rifle a couple times a year but I dont believe thats the case here on this forum..."big grin"

Nice photos and story line...think you missed your calling...need to call the outdoor channel and get your own show, LOL

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hntelk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
    Nice photos and story line...think you missed your calling...need to call the outdoor channel and get your own show, LOL </div></div>

hmmm. i like that, maybe "extreme outer limits predator hunting"
    or "long range predator pursuit"... perhaps "best of the western coyotes" LOL...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: skinney</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hntelk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
    Nice photos and story line...think you missed your calling...need to call the outdoor channel and get your own show, LOL </div></div>

hmmm. i like that, maybe "extreme outer limits predator hunting"
    or "long range predator pursuit"... perhaps "best of the western coyotes" LOL... </div></div> maybe "silence of the yote" or "the coyote man" live action yea yea yea LOL

Why not just stick with the ole faithful.
    <span style="font-family: 'Impact'">
    <span style="font-size: 17pt"><span style="font-style: italic">PREDATOR HUNTING:</span></span> </span>
    <span style="font-family: 'Impact'"><span style="color: #CC0000"><span style="font-size: 26pt"><span style="font-style: italic">SUPPRESSED</span></span></span></span>

Great pics and story! I like the ghilli.

Calling and shooting coyotes is a challenge enough by itself. Being able to obtain the film to go along w/ it on a solo hunt is pure skill. Keep up the good work!

Way to go skinney....like your style and good shooting!

You should write a book, I felt like I was right there with ya.
    Nice writing style. and a good shot as well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: skinney</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Packing up my equipment i set out on another solo mission... to kill more coyotes.
    making my set on the side of a bank, laying prone in some tall sweet clover, i let the call break the silence, only having time for one set, i opened the display of my HD camera and waited...
    shooter.jpg

20 minutes later... i hear the familiar noise of dogs panting... knowing they were close i zoomed the camera out and tried my best to bark and stop this pair that were coming in WAY to hard. (one dog top left of decoy the other top right)
    2hardchargers.jpg

both winded the call, knowing i was screwed, i hit a distressed coyote, and held one up... (black spot just high and left of the middle post)
    400ydszoomedout.jpg

with a little zoom...
    400ydszoomedin.jpg

a quick glance in my NP-R1 gave me the assumption this dog was 350-400yds, so i held 5.5 minutes and the vapor trail followed, taking the dog down with it...
    faceplant.jpg

its hard to see but through the rangefinder reading 426yds you can see the black line that is the bank i was shooting from.
    426range.jpg

another dog down,
    interview-1.jpg

As always fellas, ENJOY!!!
    </div></div>

My PETA side-----

ohhhhhh.....what do ya kill him for???? He wasn't hurtin nothin!!!! They are just wild dogs!!!!! How can you do that and still sleep??? Are you proud of posting those pics????

Now...Get down KILL COYOTES IN SD side-----

Way to hammer that sumbitch skinney...Hell of a poke also!!! Them successfull long pokes past 400 are just a kick in the ass aren't they??? Kudo's for narrative, pics and on the money shot all by your lonesome!!!
    smile.gif

Unless you have hunted a number of coyotes those over 400 yd 1 shot kills aren't so easy. As mentioned wind, no time to range before the shot, angle of the yote, light, size of the yote can make guesstimating yardage much tougher, did I say wind? We are in SD you know! Any seasoned coyote hunter knows how tough consistent unranged 400+ yd shots are.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SDWhirlwind</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Unless you have hunted a number of coyotes those over 400 yd 1 shot kills aren't so easy. As mentioned wind, no time to range before the shot, angle of the yote, light, size of the yote can make guesstimating yardage much tougher, did I say wind? We are in SD you know! Any seasoned coyote hunter knows how tough consistent unranged 400+ yd shots are. </div></div>

I needed you and that comment over on Predator Masters about 3-4 weeks ago!!! had a couple haters who didn't quite understand what you just said!!!
    thanks buddy!!!

Just a couple things...

One, I always enjoy reading these, skinney, keep up the great work!

Two, "My PETA side"? Really? Come On!! lol.

And thirdly, I love zappin' coyotes, my buddy and I try to get out as often as we can. There must be a thread on here for swappin' yote tales.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: khall540</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Calling and shooting coyotes is a challenge enough by itself. Being able to obtain the film to go along w/ it on a solo hunt is pure skill. Keep up the good work! </div></div>

Well said. There's no way I'd remember to tend the camera as well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: B.W.Rosen13</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: khall540</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Calling and shooting coyotes is a challenge enough by itself. Being able to obtain the film to go along w/ it on a solo hunt is pure skill. Keep up the good work! </div></div>

Well said. There's no way I'd remember to tend the camera as well. </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 40gr Yote Pill</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for sharing your hunt. You have quite the setup and I am envious. Good hunting! </div></div>

thanks fellas!!! planning on taking a couple dogs out @ longer ranges, its just a matter of the opportunity presenting itself!!!

Great shot skinny. Never quite been able to get a coyote past 250.

Never really had a solid long range tack driver though but still. Something the xize of a small dog past 400yards is pretty amazing.

Nice looking setup also. You hunt with electronic calls or you stick with the mouth blown ones?

I have found the hardest part about the longer range shots is range estimation is more and more critical as the bullet loses velocity. Example if your milling something out and you mil it to be 800 yards, but it's 840-850 that can be a shot that is three foot short. Nice job, the predator hunts are the most difficult imo.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Semmens</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
    Nice looking setup also. You hunt with electronic calls or you stick with the mouth blown ones? </div></div>

I use both, most of the time when I'm solo (running the gun and camera) I use the e-caller so I can spoof em easier, but I never give up my trusty hand calls!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USMC_4_life</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have found the hardest part about the longer range shots is range estimation is more and more critical as the bullet loses velocity. Example if your milling something out and you mil it to be 800 yards, but it's 840-850 that can be a shot that is three foot short. Nice job, the predator hunts are the most difficult imo. </div></div>

this is exactly why you need a range finder that is capable of ranging the target you are shooting @ dead on the nuts... I have ranged with my MOA ret but not beyond 400, too much room for error on a small target such as a dog, now on a human size target that you guys engage, much different!!!