• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Is a custom reamer required?

ranger1183

Gunny Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Jul 18, 2006
Whitefish, MT, USA
I'm having a new barrel made for my .223 Remington. I shoot 80 to 90 grain bullets seated very long to allow for maximum powder capacity. The rifle I'm using is a Rem 700 and I'm using AICS mags which allow me to seat bullets out to 2.55 inches. For Berger 90 VLD's, I can single feed if I want to seat longer. This works fine in my factory barrel with its long throat. Question is, will I have to buy a special reamer once my new barrel comes in, or can a chamber's throat be extended without the use of a custom reamer? Image attached.

20130316-3-600x428.jpg

A throating reamer can be used to lengthen the throat on any chamber. Usually a chamber is cut with a 0-freebore reamer, then throated to the correct length. However, you can also run a throating reamer in an existing chamber (cut with a freebore less than you need) to lengthen it.

Short answer - Your regular .223 Rem reamer can be used with a throating reamer to get the desired freebore.

I'm having a new barrel made for my .223 Remington. I shoot 80 to 90 grain bullets seated very long to allow for maximum powder capacity. The rifle I'm using is a Rem 700 and I'm using AICS mags which allow me to seat bullets out to 2.55 inches. For Berger 90 VLD's, I can single feed if I want to seat longer. This works fine in my factory barrel with its long throat. Question is, will I have to buy a special reamer once my new barrel comes in, or can a chamber's throat be extended without the use of a custom reamer? Image attached.

20130316-3-600x428.jpg

Have you had much luck with the 90gr VLD's? What free bore do you have in you standard Remington chamber? What OAL do you load them to and how far off the lands are they? What freebore are you targeting with the the new barrel? Been interested in these recently and haven't found a lot of cases with "great" results. Sorry to sideline this thread, just would like to hear your experiences.

Have you had much luck with the 90gr VLD's? What free bore do you have in you standard Remington chamber? What OAL do you load them to and how far off the lands are they? What freebore are you targeting with the the new barrel? Been interested in these recently and haven't found a lot of cases with "great" results. Sorry to sideline this thread, just would like to hear your experiences.
My current barrel will not stabilize the Berger 90 grainers. Shoots up to 80 grains very well. I have not been able to get a hold of any of the Sierra 90's yet. I have no measuring capability of my current free bore. I load my bullets as long as possible, up to 2.55 inches. I'll send some dummy rounds in if and when I get a reamer made.

How come you didn't call the guy that is going to build it? Don't have a reamer made Ill get a 1 deg throater.