• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Is a GAP worth more than a Beanland rifle?

Lrdchaos

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 19, 2011
Oklahoma
I'm within a couple of hours of placing an order. I have a rifle quote from GAP and Beanland, rifles are as follows.

GAP
Templar action
GAP barrel
Jewell trigger
Mcmillan A 5 stock

Beanland

Bighorn action
Bartlein barrel
Jewell trigger
Mcmillan A5

All the other accessories are the same. I understand that GAP supports the shooting community, and build great rifles. In your opinion, IS a GAP built rifle worth 700 more than a Beanland rifle. I want to buy once and cry once.

Thanks

I would say pick whichever gunsmith you are most comfortable with = they both build solid rifles!!

You won't go wrong with either builder. I have a Bighorn and it is a great action. Just my personal opinion.

Paul

7-8 months on each. The stock is the holdup on both rifles. Other than action and barrel everything is equal.

Quite personally, I would go with Gap -- I've heard of Beanland but, never shot one...

I've shot a few Gap's and they're tac drivers.

Mainly, you're picking between actions Templar vs Bighorn -- Both are nice but, again, I prefer the Templar between those choices.

I went with a Stiller in my personal build but, it is what it is.

I don't have any experience with Beanland but George does great work. I think, like others have posted, it is most important to go with who you feel most comfortable with. Either will build you a great rifle. If it was me, I would go with GAP but thats just me

I just sent all my parts to Jon beanland last month and can't wait. After reading nothing but great reviews about him on here, I decided why not. He seems like a really great guy. If you don't have a bighorn yet, You will love it!! But you will be happy either way.

Gap has more name recognition, you might recoup more of your investment (if you ever have to sell the rifle) if it is stamped "GAP." Gap dos support the community and George is a long-time member here, but there is a difference between buying a Gap and buying a rifle George built.
I've found, in my many years of shooting, that when I buy something other than what I want, I end up wasting time and money, then eventually buying the one I wanted all along. Get the one you want.

Its a toss up. I have heard GAP is great and they carry an exceptional reputation. I have had three rifles built by Beanland and could not ask for a finer rifle. He is a great guy to work with.

First, let me say that I have rifles from 5 different builders. I have had a GAP and still have some targets hanging that were shot with it.
They all have their + / -, but truth be told, I can't shoot the difference in them. They all shoot better than I do.
I just went to the Beanland web site and of course it looks good.
I think Rancid Coolaid hit a good point, resale seems to be better if the rifle is marked GAP. That said, if you plan to keep this forever, $700 will buy lots of shooting supplies.
Another point, I see that Beanland is a one man shop, so if you call and get to talk with somebody, it is going to be the man that is working on your rifle! Communication is a big deal to me, so that would weigh heavy on my decision.

Thanks for the quick replies. I do in fact like being able to talk with the person building my rifle. I'm going to go with the beanland built rifle. I'm getting into reloading, and that 700 will go a long way in buying reloading supplies. I'm sure they both make great rifles that will out shoot me every day of the week.

Beanland builds lasers. i own one with a bighorn action. i never shot a GAP but from what i heard and seen i would not hesitate in owning one. both builders are two of the best in the business.

With a locker full of GAPs, and now one Spartan Precision Rifles build, I'd lean towards GAP. That said, I only have experience with GAP and not Beanland. Good luck on the purchase, whichever way you go.

Be safe,
FourNineThree

FWIW, I believe when it comes to barrels, the "GAP" barrel is also a Bartlein unless otherwise specified. And you should be able to get the McMillan A5 from Southern Precision aka Bugholes.com with little to no wait and speed up your build quite a bit.

I have a couple of GAPs, with a Spartan in the works. I have yet to ever hear a Beanland owner speak anything other than praise for their rifles, so at some point in the future I'll potentially have one built as well.

GAP, Beanland, Spartan, AO, etc etc etc.

These are all named builders on the hide, and you can't go wrong with any of them. The resale value of the rifle shouldn't be a factor to be honest if your going to shoot it.

I have had and do have both of them. A surgeon built 243 from Beanland and a couple of GAPS. I love them all and they all shoot better than I can. You can call GAP and talk with someone there and you can call Beanland and the only one you will talk to will be him. When I had mine built from him, he called me off and on to tell me where the build was at. When I sent him my stuff, he got it back to me within 3 weeks of getting it. Not bad at all. Only one other builder that I know can get it back to me in that time frame at this time. I don't think you will lose money off of either of them. People here on the Hide buy rifles built from both of them daily and at good resale. You should probably call and talk to each of the makers to get a feel of them and then decide. I don't believe that you can go wrong with either.

Might the "GAP Barrel" be a Bartlein gain-twist? I know they're actively working with Bartlein with the gain-twist concept through their team-build rifles.

Is the GAP Templar the V1 or V2, out of curiosity?

That may explain some of the price difference.

Either one would be great. If it was me, I would give my money to the fellow Okie in Gould Okla. The only reason I went with GAP was because Jon doesn't build on Winchesters actions.

Rifle ordered through Jon Beanland! Now comes the wait. Time to order the reloading supplies and practice reloading on my 308 before the 6.5cm gets here. My main reasons...I talked to Jon directly numerous times up to this point and I like to keep my money in state and support a local builder with a great reputation.

Some of the guys i shoot with have Beanland built rifles on Bighorn actions...i want one soooo friggin' bad now! I have a 0.2 MOA rifle built on a Defiance/Bartlein combo, but my next rig will be a Triple-B: Beanland/Bighorn/Bartlein!

Rifle ordered through Jon Beanland! Now comes the wait. Time to order the reloading supplies and practice reloading on my 308 before the 6.5cm gets here. My main reasons...I talked to Jon directly numerous times up to this point and I like to keep my money in state and support a local builder with a great reputation.

Congrats!!!! I've longed for a Beanland build for years. I want a Bighorn/Beanland build really bad.

Good choice on keeping money in Oklahoma!

Like others, I have rifles from both (Surgeon actions, McMillan stocks, Bartlein, Brux, and Obermeyer barrels).

GA Precison and Beanland build some very good rifles.

I am thinking about getting a 6.5cm made from Beanland also. Be sure to post up pictures and results when the rifle is finished. Congrats!!

Some of the guys i shoot with have Beanland built rifles on Bighorn actions...i want one soooo friggin' bad now! I have a 0.2 MOA rifle built on a Defiance/Bartlein combo, but my next rig will be a Triple-B: Beanland/Bighorn/Bartlein!

I'm one of those guys with Bighorn/Beanland rifles who shoots with COfox. Been messing with this LR stuff for awhile, dealt with a handful of vendors, gunsmiths....Jon Beanland and AJ Goddard are the two best guys I've dealt with. I believe it fair to say Jon and AJ support the shooting community. AJ builds a kick ass action, I send AJ's action to Jon and have a barrel chambered, I shoot matches with it, shoot that barrel 'til it don't shoot anymore, send action back to Jon have another barrel chambered, shoot matches with it................

Good decision Lrdchaos.

I put in my deposit just before you for a 6.5CM. The six months should go by pretty fast, I hope.

I recently had a build done by Jon... The communication was second to none. That alone means a lot when putting 4k+ down on a build.

No, not if you intend to keep the rifle and shoot it. I have three rifles built by Jon and all three are great shooters. All three consistantly shoot less than .5 moa.

2vjevkp.jpg
typical 5 shot 6.5X47L group

Congrats on the order. Both builders are some of the best in the business, you will be extremely happy !!

Do NOT touch the bolt. Leave it as is. The NP3 finish is there for a reason. I had my first Big Horn cerakoted and regretted it.