• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes Is a Gen 1 razor too much scope for an ar15?

JS624

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
May 10, 2014
Washington
Hey guys want some opinions.
I've got a 16" ar15 in 223 wylde that I built with accuracy in mind. Looking for something to bang steel out to 600 yards and whack small game.
currently I've got a gen 2 razor 4.5-27 on it but it's just too much scope I think for the rifle. I've got a gen 1 razor sitting in the safe that I am thinking might be a better option it's just annoying that it uses 35mm rings. I'm gonna have to get 35mm rings for my adm recon mount if I go that route.
any way. What are your guys opinions? Is the gen 1 too much scope for my ar as well? Should I pico up something like a gen 2 pst or a nightforce shv f1?
thanks

Why too much? What does that mean? Reliable tracking and nice clear glass and a scope housing that can take punishment your definition of too much scope? That's my definition of the bare essentials. If that scope gives those things to u then there is no real definition of too much reliability. Only "does it work or not". From what I've read. Those were reasonably reliable. So use it. And go out and punch some Primers.

and be safe!

Why too much? What does that mean? Reliable tracking and nice clear glass and a scope housing that can take punishment your definition of too much scope? That's my definition of the bare essentials. If that scope gives those things to u then there is no real definition of too much reliability. Only "does it work or not". From what I've read. Those were reasonably reliable. So use it. And go out and punch some Primers.

and be safe!

Thanks

Great scope! But IMHO maybe a little much for an AR. I run a .223 Wylde on my M4 build with a BDC ACOG and ding 12" steel at 400 all day long. Weight, durability, and size seem to be an important consideration when thinking about AR optics. Moot points if you are always shooting prone or from a bench, but considerations non the less. Lots of good options out there for half the size, weight, and far cheaper. SWFA, Primary arms, both come to mind. They both offer quality optics that would fit your needs on an AR platform. Again, just my opinion. It's really up to you.

I've used a Gen1 Razor on a 20" barreled AR and it was just fine. Other than it looking huge on a 16" barreled rifle and being a little heavy, I say go for it! They're great scopes for any rifle IMO. With that said, it can't hurt to get another scope too...

That scope can do a lot more than that AR can. However, if you have the opportunity to buy it, do so. It can sit on your AR until you find a rifle that will match it's capabilities.

IMO, optic selection is just as important as cartridge selection when it comes to picking the right one for your application.

For instance, for a general use .223, it could be easily (and rightly, IMO) argued that a 5-25x56mm scope would be too much... however, if the application is switched from "general use" to "whacking prairie dogs", then it's entirely appropriate, IMO.

I guess that I said that to say this... IMO, it is best to match the optic to the application, rather than to the weapon on which it is mounted.

If you have the Gen 1 already, by all means, use it. You may end up on the lower end of magnification in normal use, but will have that 20x when you want it at long range. The Gen 1 weighs about 1/2# less than the Gen2 so that's also a plus. Sure, there are better scopes for the rifle and better rifles for that scope, but with the 2 scopes you have and the 1 rifle to put it on, the Gen1 is the better choice.

I am probably in the minority, but I think there are "correct" scopes for each rifle and its purpose. I can't argue that if you like the scope, "go for it," and there is a lot of truth to that. But, would I put 200 mph racing tires on a Toyota Camry? I guess if I like the tires. But, at some point, there might be more appropriate tires, and that is how I feel about rifles and scopes.

I would probably choose a different scope for an AR15.

I think its overkill as well, a 2.5x10 power scope would be what I would use.
However I understand using what you have.

I am probably in the minority, but I think there are "correct" scopes for each rifle and its purpose. I can't argue that if you like the scope, "go for it," and there is a lot of truth to that. But, would I put 200 mph racing tires on a Toyota Camry? I guess if I like the tires. But, at some point, there might be more appropriate tires, and that is how I feel about rifles and scopes.

I would probably choose a different scope for an AR15.

Right I agree.
that's kinda where I'm at. At the moment I'm using what I've got which is the gen 2. But I feel silly having such a nice scope on an ar haha. That's why I was thinking about putting the gen 1 on there. Maybe I'll just go that route until I get something more appropriate for the ar.
thanks for all the opinions guys

But I feel silly having such a nice scope on an ar haha.

How does being an AR15 qualify how nice of an optic it should receive? Optics should be qualified by application requirement and budget. Personally I run NF and S&B on mine and the two other AR builds I have in process will receive the same treatment as well.

If the 4.5-27 Vortex that you have on it meets all of your requirements then why not leave it? If it doesn't, evaluate what it's lacking and go from there.

To me a scope is "priceless and weighs nothing". Almost all prs guys run their big 34mm 5-25s at around 12x. I don't ever touch mine past 14x tops. The FOV is better and has a good overall picture. Use what tracks best. All else is a bonus.

It's really personal preference. The Gen 2 Razor fits just fine on an AR15 in my opinion. At 14.4" is one of the shorter scopes in it's magnification range.

It's really personal preference. The Gen 2 Razor fits just fine on an AR15 in my opinion. At 14.4" is one of the shorter scopes in it's magnification range.

I'm not the only one out there then.
:D