• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision Is a low end thermal viewer worth it?

MitchInOR

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 1, 2008
Oregon, Willamette Valley
I have been reading all the thermal hype for some time now and am considering making a purchase. I have been using a pvs14 with an ir laser for several years usually several nights a week. It is a great system. Even though I can see so much at night I know there is much that I don't see.

Unfortunately the most my budget will allow would be a ps24 or a thermal eye and I have been looking for a good second hand deal at that.

Would this level of viewer detect a coyote at 200 yards or possibly a little farther? It doesn't matter if its coyote, the neighbors dog or bambi as I am always cautious of target id and bullet path before pulling the trigger.

It is a regular occurrence for animals to suddenly appear out of nowhere when they were only partially obscured by weeds, in shadows up against fence lines etc. I really would like to raise my night vision awareness but just don't have the funds for the ultra cool gear that is featured in this forum. But, I don't want to purchase equipment that won't be useful.

A PS-24 or PS-32 would be extremely helpful to your coyote elimination as it would allow you to detect warm blooded animals withing 250 yards of you, it takes some time to become proficient with a thermal device but a little experience will solve that.

Check out the thermal eye x320 by L3. I think its the best bang for the Buck right now.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I847 using Tapatalk 2

I have been reading all the thermal hype for some time now and am considering making a purchase. I have been using a pvs14 with an ir laser for several years usually several nights a week. It is a great system. Even though I can see so much at night I know there is much that I don't see.

Unfortunately the most my budget will allow would be a ps24 or a thermal eye and I have been looking for a good second hand deal at that.

Would this level of viewer detect a coyote at 200 yards or possibly a little farther? It doesn't matter if its coyote, the neighbors dog or bambi as I am always cautious of target id and bullet path before pulling the trigger.

It is a regular occurrence for animals to suddenly appear out of nowhere when they were only partially obscured by weeds, in shadows up against fence lines etc. I really would like to raise my night vision awareness but just don't have the funds for the ultra cool gear that is featured in this forum. But, I don't want to purchase equipment that won't be useful.
Im running the same set up. I keep a ps32 on a lanyard around my neck. It's a great accessory to have. I look through it more than my pvs14.

L3 X320 is my suggestion. Has nice features, simple function, great detection for a handheld and uses AA batteries. The FLIR systems have sealed batteries so when it's dead hunt is over to go recharge it.

I have very limited experience in this area, but I've used a (relatively cheap $3k) FLIR H series handheld unit and I can pick up cows/horses at 300-400 yards. They were laying down and it was impossible to tell what they were if you didn't already know, but scanning the field it was obvious they were there. I could also see them just fine with NV that same night and actually see that they were cows. Maybe a higher end thermal unit would let me see the difference between cows/pigs/etc. but I just don't have enough experience (or money) to know the difference.

I've been using a flir ps-24 for detection and NVG's for identification and shooting and it works good. No more surprise animals or wasted time scanning empty areas with night vision. Sweep the area with the ps-24 and know instantly if anything is there. Using my flir ps-24 it detects every deer, hog, squirrel, or rabbit easily. Deer, hogs, coyotes detected within 200-250 yds no problem. Last time we hunted a hog that had been dead for 5 hours lit up bright red at 200 yards with instalert level 1.

FLIR: DON'T LEAVE HOME WITHOUT IT!

NV%20Coyote%202.jpg

SIG%20716P%20225%20Yards.jpg

Another%20225%20Yard%20Dog.jpg

SIG%20716%20Coyote%20Head%20Shot.jpg

Sig%20&%20Black%20Coyote.jpg

If you do accidentally leave home without your FLIR, you certainly will turn around and go back to get it....

Last edited:
We have the ps 24 versions and its great for seeing heated subjects in open fields.

I've been using a flir ps-24 for detection and NVG's for identification and shooting and it works good. No more surprise animals or wasted time scanning empty areas with night vision. Sweep the area with the ps-24 and know instantly if anything is there. Using my flir ps-24 it detects every deer, hog, squirrel, or rabbit easily. Deer, hogs, coyotes detected within 200-250 yds no problem. Last time we hunted a hog that had been dead for 5 hours lit up bright red at 200 yards with instalert level 1.

My old thermal eye x50 will do that 200-250 yards is nothing for thermal unless the humidity is very high. Dead hogs will glow for days they are decomposing so still producing heat!!!

I took this pick with my phone held up to the back of the x50 but the first cow is 50 yards the next is arround 100 yard and the onse farther out are 200-300 yards the tree line is 1000ish I have no problems spotting hogs,deer and cattle at the treeline on a typical night. Now it does not compare to my mtm and my mtm cant keep up with the w1000 but it still works!

No, if you just need to detect then it will work but if you ever see a good res fast refresh thermal you will do just as I did on my first one and send it back. Save your money or buy used. TNVC didn't have the LS 64 in stock which is what I wanted but a guy there told me that it was not too much better than the LS 32 so I bought it. I should have known better. Got it in and knew it wasn't what I wanted SO I send it back right then and got a M24 Recon 640 rez that is all I need and I love it.

No, if you just need to detect then it will work but if you ever see a good res fast refresh thermal you will do just as I did on my first one and send it back. Save your money or buy used. TNVC didn't have the LS 64 in stock which is what I wanted but a guy there told me that it was not too much better than the LS 32 so I bought it. I should have known better. Got it in and knew it wasn't what I wanted SO I send it back right then and got a M24 Recon 640 rez that is all I need and I love it.

The thermal eyes have a fast refresh rate even the x50 is able to scan while moving in a vehicle it will lock up from time to time the rez is low but you can spot stuff and I can tell the difference between deer, cows, hogs by the way they move. Again its no where in the ballpark with better systems like the mtm, x320, w1000, higher end flir's but it works. Whatever you do don't get something with a slow refresh rate they are just painful.

Not sure who you talked with but in regard to the 2 units you mentioned you wanted fast refresh rates, they both (LS32 and LS64 have 30Hz refresh rates). LS32 is a 19mm with a 336 x 256 detector vs. the LS64's 35mm 640 x 512 detector which I like for longer ranges with resolution. We try to understand what the customers needs are first even though they may be paying a lower price. PM sent and thank you for your business.

Vic

I love my PS 32. It goes well with my PVS-14 that I got from Vic. It works well for yotes also.

It's very worth it! I got my dad a ps24 for Christmas last year. It can detect plenty far for hunting. Just a couple weeks ago I could see cattle at 700yrds (by range finder). I had a ps-32 and the resolution is almost identical it's basicly just $1000 for a 2x zoom.

Thanks for all the replies! Looks like I am going to sell an AK this week so I'm keeping a look out for a good deal. I see you can get a reconditioned ps24 for $1700 with a 1 year warranty. I'd really like to spend a little less so if anyone see's something a heads up would be greatly appreciated.

Mitch

It's very worth it! I got my dad a ps24 for Christmas last year. It can detect plenty far for hunting. Just a couple weeks ago I could see cattle at 700yrds (by range finder). I had a ps-32 and the resolution is almost identical it's basicly just $1000 for a 2x zoom.

Yeah, there's always that guy out there that makes the rest of us look bad. My dad had to share my mom's gift...which was a picture frame.

Yeah, there's always that guy out there that makes the rest of us look bad. My dad had to share my mom's gift...which was a picture frame.

Hahahaha man that cracked me up! I've never got my dad anything other that a picture frame to share also so I figured I'd hook him up! Besides, I can use it too! Lol

Your dads PS 24 seemed as defined as my LS 32. Maybe it aint but it looked it to my crappy eyes. I think it got marked wrong LOL

So I am close to having enough for a dream thermal scope. Part of me wants to get a nice set of BNVDs and a cheap thermal for detection. Torn as its a ton of cash either way. Do I really need a thermal scope? Detection with a PS24 (used) maybe plenty good to switch over to the I2. Debating hard! Thermal clipon may sway me. Have a feeling there will be a price war this year on it. Hate to have bought a $6K flat screen when I got mine for $600 a few years later.....

So I am close to having enough for a dream thermal scope. Part of me wants to get a nice set of BNVDs and a cheap thermal for detection. Torn as its a ton of cash either way. Do I really need a thermal scope? Detection with a PS24 (used) maybe plenty good to switch over to the I2. Debating hard! Thermal clipon may sway me. Have a feeling there will be a price war this year on it. Hate to have bought a $6K flat screen when I got mine for $600 a few years later.....

If I may, and this is just one guys lowly opinion, I would go with the BNVD's and a cheaper thermal if it were my money. Having both I2 and thermal is a huge asset, no matter what you are doing with them. Of course if you go with BNVD's, or any other dual tube, you are also going to have other associated costs such as a helmet, mounts, laser, and so on. Or, you could also compromise a little there and get an I2 monocular and spend more on the thermal and also have a great setup.

Delta is right. BNVD'S are amazing.... I can't explain how much better it is to navigate and get around with my anvis vs my pvs14. A 14 is good but dual tubes are just sweet! Just walk around in your house for a little while with one eye closed, you will really realize what your missing at night then.

If I may, and this is just one guys lowly opinion, I would go with the BNVD's and a cheaper thermal if it were my money. Having both I2 and thermal is a huge asset, no matter what you are doing with them. Of course if you go with BNVD's, or any other dual tube, you are also going to have other associated costs such as a helmet, mounts, laser, and so on. Or, you could also compromise a little there and get an I2 monocular and spend more on the thermal and also have a great setup.

I have a PVS-14 with an OMNI IV tube I really like a lot with the helmet, INVG mount, etc. I can get around already but I do a lot of driving around ranches with the I2 on and having 2 eyes would be preferable. I find myself hunting with friends and family who dont have NV so having a spare as a loaner is definitely of interest. Right now they just sit in the dark until I find something to set them up with. Thats said, I could loan them a thermal for spotting while I drive with the PVS-14. So with price between the new thermal scope or used BNVDs being about equal, and I am not a rich man so I can only get one, its definitely a big decision. A cheaper thermal along with the dual tube goggles maybe a good alternative to just having the PVS14 with a nice thermal scope for shooting and spotting both. Decision, decisions.

One more thought on it- I don't really see I2 getting much cheaper than it is, so I could likely get most of my money back on a set of BNVDs if I need it. I definitely think we will see a big price drop in thermal as economy of scale with production plus an increasingly competitive market both take hold. Have a feeling a $6K thermal scope today will be a $4k scope in just a couple of years if that. Keep trying to talk myself into thermal now- like maybe a cheap one even, but seems it may be worth holding off even just another year. Not sure.