• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing is a remington 700 with a b series serial number a good action to get customized

b1c2r3r4

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 14, 2011
texas
Like the title says. I know the old remingtons were good but I thought when they went with the j lock they started sucking. Your help is greatly appreciated.

If its getting the full work over it really doesn't matter what series it is. Of course if it does have the J lock setup I'd defineatly toss that baby in the trash and upgrade to the original setup or have it reworked to use the larger diameter firing pin.

If its getting the full work over it really doesn't matter what series it is. Of course if it does have the J lock setup I'd defineatly toss that baby in the trash and upgrade to the original setup or have it reworked to use the larger diameter firing pin.

Definitely!

I never have owned a Rem with a J-Lock but I don't particularly care for the stock bolts anyway. I replaced the bolt on my 5-R with a PTG bolt from Midway with the "M-16 style" extractor. Solved a couple of problems, all at the same time. Got rid of the bolt with the oversized and chamfered firing pin hole, the extractor spring clip went bye-bye, and I then screwed in a complete Gre-Tan firing pin assembly with a nice straight spring on it. PTG grins their bolts to a nice tight set of tolerences and with my setup, the 1.630" headspace I measured before----------was exactly the same afterward.

If all you want to do is eliminate the J-Lock, Midway has stock firing pin assy's with no lock for under $50

If you really insist on some kind of firing pin type safety then get a Gentry 3-Way. Only tool required to release it is your thumb.

This is for a full works done on it. I thought the receivers were bad on the j lock models but I guess it is just the bolts.

Its not the action or the bolt body itself, its just the firing pin assembly was a poor design to say the least and that is putting it nicely. Probably the reason Remington ditched it pretty quickly.

thanks everyone for the advise. i went ahead a purchased it. it is a left hand remington 700 bdl in 243.