• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors is an adjustable gas block necessary w/ a SBR?

raider1v1

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 16, 2010
Kansas City, MO
Is an adjustable gas block necessary w/a 12.5" 5.56mm SBR that will be suppressed?

I was planning on just putting on the normal low profile gas block.

Re: is an adjustable gas block necessart w/. SBR?

I'm going to guess yes. I ended up putting one on my 16" not suppressed because after a while the extractor bent(from pressure i'm assuming) and a round went off with out the bolt closed.....long story short I would rather be safe than sorry.

Re: is an adjustable gas block necessary w/ a SBR?

necessary?

Nope.... you will be just fine unless you are doing mag dumps.

SBR's will run fine with a normal gas block. I know a lot of people that do it.

That being said, my 12.5 inch Noveske switchblock has far less blowback and is a lot more comfortable to shoot.

Yes necessary.

I have to say that I am not very impressed with the AR-15 after shooting suppressed, and I love both the AR, and suppressors. Fouling is terrible, and before long they lose accuracy and then will start gumming up.

I can't believe I am going to say this, but I'm starting to think of piston system.

What about on a 10" 300 blackout barrel running subsonics only? I want to put an adjustable gas block on there, but wondering what others experience is. I figured that because there isn't as much gas with subsonics that it wouldn't be as important as on a supersonic 5.56. Thoughts?

i did find a couple more options

1. adams gas system

2. getting a 14.5" or 16" barrel and having it cut down. this would give me a bit smaller hole and less gas.

what do you guys think?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fireguyty</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yes necessary.

I have to say that I am not very impressed with the AR-15 after shooting suppressed, and I love both the AR, and suppressors. Fouling is terrible, and before long they lose accuracy and then will start gumming up.

<span style="font-weight: bold">I can't believe I am going to say this, but I'm starting to think of piston system.</span>

</div></div>

You will be disappointed there too.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: m1garand30064</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fireguyty</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yes necessary.

<span style="font-weight: bold">I can't believe I am going to say this, but I'm starting to think of piston system.</span>

</div></div>

You will be disappointed there too. </div></div>

i have been checking out the adams arms kit they seem to have solved the carrier tilt issue. what else is disappointing

adjustable gas block for .300 blackout SUBSONIC is unnessisary and may hinder operation if set on lesser gas setting.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: operator45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">adjustable gas block for .300 blackout SUBSONIC is unnessisary and may hinder operation if set on lesser gas setting.</div></div>

He is right on here. I have a 9" 300 AAC, and often times short stroke even with a standard gas block. Oh, and its dirty, and gets inaccurate real quick.......

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Raider1v1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i did find a couple more options

1. adams gas system

2. getting a 14.5" or 16" barrel and having it cut down. this would give me a bit smaller hole and less gas.

what do you guys think? </div></div>

Adam's piston kits are what I have installed on all my short barrel suppressed uppers. They have worked great, cleaned things up to where acceptable and are relatively inexpensive. I run in both semi and full auto app's.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fireguyty</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yes necessary.

I can't believe I am going to say this, but I'm starting to think of piston system.

</div></div>
When I first suppressed my AR, I had similar thoughts as you.
The truth is, the GP is not the best solution.
Modifying how your clean and lube the rifle combined with a heavier buffer will serve you much better.

Regardless of GP or DI, the BCG is going to become fouled.
This is because the primary source of the fouling is the breach.
By switching up to a heavier buffer, the dwell time is increased, thus allowing more time for the gasses in the bore to evacuate.

An adjustable gas block or switch type system only changes how much energy is delivered to the system.
That difference impacts how quickly the action operates, how hard the rifle recoils, and how well if cycles ammunition.

My recommendation is to try an H2 or H3 buffer and run the BCG wet using Slip 2000 EWL, or Mobile One 30W synthetic oil.
By running the BCG wet with one of those synthetic lubes, the detergent properties of the oil keeps any fouling from impeding the operation of the weapons system.
As long as you continue to keep the BCG lubricated, it is possible to run thousands on rounds suppressed without any issues.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Raider1v1</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: m1garand30064</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fireguyty</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yes necessary.

</div></div>

You will be disappointed there too. </div></div>

i have been checking out the adams arms kit they seem to have solved the carrier tilt issue. what else is disappointing
</div></div>

The blowback.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dumbbell</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What about on a 10" 300 blackout barrel running subsonics only? I want to put an adjustable gas block on there, but wondering what others experience is. I figured that because there isn't as much gas with subsonics that it wouldn't be as important as on a supersonic 5.56. Thoughts?</div></div>
In this instance, an adjustable gas block would be more of a liability than an asset.
With the 300 BLK, getting a barrel from AAC or Noveske will remove the need for an adjustable gas block.
They have gone to great lengths to tune their gas systems to run both subsonics and supersonics without the need to change any gas settings.

Thanks for all the input here guys.

So after reading more about the pistons and that they still do have their own set of issues and still have blowback, i think that im just going to do a simple, standard gasblock. I dont really see the need to complicate things by adding an adjustable gas block.

I already do have an H3 buffer installed and ill try out the motor oil use as you suggested.

i wanted to get rid of the blowback, and i think the RTV + AR-Gas Vent is going to be my best option. It seems that as long as i dont try any crazy low loads, the standard carbine length gas system will work just fine.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Raider1v1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I already do have an H3 buffer installed and ill try out the motor oil use as you suggested.

i wanted to get rid of the blowback, and i think the RTV + AR-Gas Vent is going to be my best option. It seems that as long as i dont try any crazy low loads, the standard carbine length gas system will work just fine.</div></div>
You can always check out Slash's Buffers:
http://www.heavybuffers.com/ar15carbine.html

With a short 5.56 setup, all of the typical suppressed AR issues are magnified.
It can become very frustrating.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You can always check out Slash's Buffers:
http://www.heavybuffers.com/ar15carbine.html

With a short 5.56 setup, all of the typical suppressed AR issues are magnified.
It can become very frustrating. </div></div>

yup. im anticipating that so that's why im trying to get all my items straight why im waiting for the form 1 to clear.

with the h3 buffer weighting in at 5.6oz do you think the .9oz will make a large difference, or if i have an issue just add the wolff spring?

One thing an adjustable gas block will do is give you the option of turning off the gas system for quiet single shot manual operation of your AR when supressed and subsonic.

JDJ sells his uppers with a tuned adjustable gas block which allows for subsonic, supersonic and off modes. It works exactly as advertised.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Raider1v1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">yup. im anticipating that so that's why im trying to get all my items straight why im waiting for the form 1 to clear.

with the h3 buffer weighting in at 5.6oz do you think the .9oz will make a large difference, or if i have an issue just add the wolff spring?

</div></div>
The Slash buffer that is designed for your application is the XH Carbine Buffer - 8.25 ounces.
That extra mass will make a big difference and for a MK18 type setup like yours, it is money well spent.
I would personally order the buffer with a Wolf spring.
Your upper is so heavily gassed that it is unlikely that you will encounter any cycling issues.

As an added bonus, this setup provides increased reliability and removes virtually all recoil.