• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Is any one running a 300 Whisper for hunting?

evilmonkey

Private
Minuteman
Sep 24, 2008
USA
I ran a Horus Black Bird 1.8 -8X this deer season on my 300 whisper. Looking to see if anyone else has any experiences with sub-sonic rifle hunting.

Re: Is any one running a 300 Whisper for hunting?

I would be curious too, I dont have a whisper, but I remember reading a while back about this subject. About how some of the bullets typically used in the whisper dont expand well/at all at subsonic speeds. I shoot 220RN out of my .308 subsonic, and was wondering how they would do on deer.

I need to find a softer bullet for my load. This year I had some 180 A-Max on my bench and loaded those for the season. They ran fine, but didn't expand worth a sh#t. In and out... but I can't bitch to much I took six does this year.

I need to find a soft nose 200- 220 grain to use.

Have killed several with .300 Whisper and don't recommend it on the subsonic level. If loading supersonic, I say go for it. Subs just pencil-hole through deer. There are way better calibers for hunting. I have two .300 Whispers and will not use them for hunting any more subsonic.

Eddie

I shot one deer with 240gr. SMK, out of my Whisper, subsonic. The bullet penciled through. If I use it again, it will be high shoulder shots only. 208 A-Max's are gonna get a try, as well.

Using a whisper for hunting is very much like using a field point arrow. It is common for the bullet to tumble but that is not guaranteed. I have also seen deer take a body hit and continue to just stand there when shooting suppressed. There is much debate here on shot placement and I am not going to debate this but to say I take neck shots and have never had one take another step. I have many friends that take double lung/heart shots and they will work with a whisper but chances are you will be doing some tracking. I love my 300 whisper but am hoping to get the opportunity to harvest an animal with my 510 whisper this year.

and just for the sake of info...if the time comes I will be using a cast 700gr bullet in the 510
smile.gif

Nice rifle and pig diesel... All the deer I took this year with my whisper were broad side lung shots. They never made it farther then 20 meters. I just want to find a round that I can shoot subsonic and get a little expansion.

Have you guys ever heard of Hawk bullets? My father and I shoot them in 1890's models 45-70's when hunting. They make a low velocity hunting bullets. It might be worth checking out, I can attest that their bullets expand at low velocities. There is actually an old picture of me and a head shot doe on their mailbag page. I don't hunt much with the 45-70's any more but when I do I'm using hawks.

http://www.hawkbullets.com/maintest.htm

Ray

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: evilmonkey</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice rifle and pig diesel... All the deer I took this year with my whisper were broad side lung shots. They never made it farther then 20 meters. I just want to find a round that I can shoot subsonic and get a little expansion. </div></div>

Thank you. I think it will be pretty hard to consistently have any appreciable expansion at sub sonic velocity in a rifle bullet and retain nice accuracy at 100 yards or more. The 220 bthp does tumble after it hits. The exit wound on this hog was pretty messy.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Carpenter07</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Have you guys ever heard of Hawk bullets? My father and I shoot them in 1890's models 45-70's when hunting. They make a low velocity hunting bullets. It might be worth checking out, I can attest that their bullets expand at low velocities. There is actually an old picture of me and a head shot doe on their mailbag page. I don't hunt much with the 45-70's any more but when I do I'm using hawks.

http://www.hawkbullets.com/maintest.htm

Ray </div></div>

thanks Carpenter for the info on hawk bullets, I'll have to check them out... i have friend loading me up some 30 Cal 220gr RN to try out.

so what you guys think about the 300 black out?

the black out is essentially a whisper as far as i know.

i've killed a few deer with subsonic 220gr SMK's, but you do need to hit them high shoulder. i lung shot one, and it penciled through. sometime they tumble, sometime they don't. i never lost one, but it can be a little tough.
unless you "have" to shoot subsonic, i wouldn't recommend it. it's totally doable, but there are better options.

anybody tried lehighs subsonic bullets, they look like theyd be pretty nasty

So the Whisper's main problem is lack of suitable bullets?

What about a .458 SOCOM or .50 Beowulf loaded subsonic for hunting?

I wonder if soft nosed bullets like the Hornady Interlock of the Sierra Pro Hunter might perform better. And the round nosed, flat base design should be easier to stabilize.