• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Is anybody else getting "Explosive" stickers on their smokeless powder deliveries?

sandwarrior

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 21, 2007
in yooperland
I just opened my last delivery of an 8# jug of powder and noticed it had the "Explosive" hazmat sticker on it. If this is now classified as "Explosive" and not "Flammable Solid" (highly flammable) this may be why powder is going through the roof.

A few years ago during the Obama Administration, we (all across this nation) got this issue quelled. We thought. If this came up again, it was not done LEGALLY! There was no public announcement or input as to changes (The Obama Administration also tried to dodge this). Any change to policy and procedure of the Federal Regulations must be put out and given a time period for public observation and input.

FWIW, this classification really kicks us in the nuts, because as competition shooters, we are no longer allowed to store unlimited amounts of smokeless powder if this has been reclassified,

I do know that all of the hazmat classifications were updated to a new standard a year or so ago, with companies given a grace period to confirm. If I recall correctly, it had to do with standardizing classifications globally. Imagine that, a workaround method to accomplish the same thing. <sarcasm>

Reactions: sandwarrior
:(
FF925D17-199B-4A0C-A6B4-919E4A228E83.jpeg

Last edited:
Just got this box from Bruno's with primers and powder in it. Maybe they haven't got the message n the new stickers.

HAZMAT.jpg
HAZMAT.jpg

Just got this box from Bruno's with primers and powder in it. Maybe they haven't got the message n the new stickers.

View attachment 7371001View attachment 7371001
Packaging like this reminds me of shipping hazard class items in the MIL.
We always packaged items with the most labelling. It was a consistent process. We never labelled it less, because it wasn't going anywhere. This meant that no matter how we sent something out it was labelled properly.

As for the primers above, lookup un0044. Although it is a 1.4 item, labelling isn't required, but you can always add it... I haven't dove into the new standards in cfr 49 but, unless you do it everyday you wouldn't know everything... Even then very few people, even in the mil, do it properly all the time.

Secondly, I was reading cfr 49 172.102 and I came across this excerpt for item 50.
"50 Cases, cartridge, empty with primer which are made of metallic or plastic casings and meeting the classification criteria of Division 1.4 are not regulated for domestic transportation."

So if things get hairy just sell cases with primers installed, as long as it domestic you can ship them with less stringent measures.

Regarding the powder above, the shipper would have to verify with the manufacturer on how their powder is classified. NA3178 still exists in cfr 49 172.101. UN0509 has different standards. The manufacturer would have to have their item tested by an "Approving Authority" to verify what standard it fit. This would also go along with the packaging instructions.

Different modes of travel require different rules on how its packaged, labelled, etc. Something that was sent out for a truck shipment could be labelled/packaged differently than something that would go through air. This also includes items that would go overseas,rail etc.

Just for your sake of curiosity the marking in the bottom left of the box are POP markings. These describe the standard to which the box was made.
4=Box G= fiberboard (cardboard box)/X10= Gross mass in KG the box is rated for/S= Solid inner packaging/19= Year box was cheated for shipping/USA= country box was created for shipment/+CA0055 is the Certification mark or Manufacturers ID.

As for the special provision for cartridge cases i mentioned above the un# associated with them would be un0055, and un0379 (14.2/1.4c, respectively).

Just looked at some previous shipping boxes and one order came in a factory Hodgdon box that had the 1.4C placard "printed" on the cardboard... Wonder how long this has been a thing?

Last edited:
I typically only see ORMD labels, primers or powder. I received a box of virgin Federal 5.56mm brass today, and it was pasted with the ORMD sticker. I wonder if the Kung Flu has some shippers using idiots that don’t know their job requirements.

Yep fedex guy hands me my box for a signature and says explosives hah? I had to tell him reloaxing supplies

I typically only see ORMD labels, primers or powder. I received a box of virgin Federal 5.56mm brass today, and it was pasted with the ORMD sticker. I wonder if the Kung Flu has some shippers using idiots that don’t know their job requirements.
I would like to say that, but with powder going through the roof for prices it makes me wonder if powder companies aren't just increasing prices to cover more exorbitant costs of being reclassified?

Reactions: lash
This was on my box with primers and powder

Attachments

• 6EC377DE-F554-47A4-9FD9-1B31C280F1C4.jpeg
    6EC377DE-F554-47A4-9FD9-1B31C280F1C4.jpeg
    458.8 KB · Views: 84
Can't remember ever getting anything from Brownells in the last couple years that wasn't listed as an explosive.

Yet another reason to deal direct with your LGS. I do.
I would, but they are now listing most powders at $40 a lb. That's why I'm going more and more to the internet companies.

Also, of note, Neither store here stocks the powders I specifically want. I can't tell you how many times one of the local gunstores asked me if I could get by with a powder they carried instead of the one I specifically wanted.

Last edited:
You can probably blame LiO batteries.
True, but the "man behind the curtain" is the one pushing this on the smokeless powder. First introduced under Obama, now in practice under Trump. The public review period under Obama got this issue quelled. The same group probably are the ones that just put the rule into action.

Congress as usual is hiding it's head in the sand and not doing their job. It was never intended for the "bureaucracy" to make the rules. Only administrate and enforce them. Congress has let all kinds of stuff slide to the bureaucrats.

Reactions: nikonNUT and lash
I would, but they are now listing most powders at $40 a lb. That's why I'm going more and more to the internet companies.

Also, of note, Neither store here stocks the powders I specifically want. I can't tell you how many times one of the local gun stores asked me if I could get by with a powder they carried instead of the one I specifically wanted.

All true.

I mulled it all and decided that because of immediate availability (when actually available), the added cost of HAZMAT, and the idea of who has access to the info that I have small quantities of Smokeless in use; I decided the LGS route is the more viable process for me.

I have three accessible LGS that stock powders, and can reach all of them in one trip (one here in Pearce/Sunsites, and two in Sierra Vista - about 80 miles away, but around here, that's not a long trip).

My 2011 Dodge Grand Caravan is going on 180,000m, with a million mile factory warrantee (Chrysler Corp Maximum Plus warrantee. Spicy, but pricey).

I find Cal Ranch and Trail Boss to have the best selections here in SE AZ; and I seldom go home skunked. YMMV.

I have, on necessary occasions, gone the substitution route. I've been handloading and custom developing loads for going on three decades now; and most of my ammunition is self handloaded. Since it's become a necessary part of my shooting obsessions; it's worth the trouble, and sometimes leads to quite pleasant surprises.

I keep more brass onhand than I can lift, and let's not even go there with projectiles. But powders...: I skimp on them, and use up what I buy quickly. Two ammo cans and that's it. We four make shopping trips to Sierra Vista a number of times monthly; and I plan my handloading projects around how that pans out. I also restrict my onhand powder choices to a minimal number. Three decades can teach much.

As my handloading mentor once quipped; if the house catches fire, he's headed for the next county. I don't want, or have, that problem,.

Ammo is not stored in the main buildings, and powder is kept in a magazine self built compliant with very stringent NY State Fire Codes; bright red and white, boldly marked, made of wood (reduced potential for shrapnel), and bang straight on visible from the shop entry.

Greg

Last edited:
All true.

I mulled it all and decided that because of immediate availability (when actually available), the added cost of HAZMAT, and the idea of who has access to the info that I have small quantities of Smokeless in use; I decided the LGS route is the more viable process for me.

I have three accessible LGS that stock powders, and can reach all of them in one trip (one here in Pearce/Sunsites, and two in Sierra Vista - about 80 miles away, but around here, that's not a long trip).

My 2011 Dodge Grand Caravan is going on 180,000m, with a million mile factory warrantee (Chrysler Corp Maximum Plus warrantee. Spicy, but pricey).

I find Cal Ranch and Trail Boss to have the best selections here in SE AZ; and I seldom go home skunked. YMMV.

I have, on necessary occasions, gone the substitution route. I've been handloading and custom developing loads for going on three decades now; and most of my ammunition is self handloaded. Since it's become a necessary part of my shooting obsessions; it's worth the trouble, and sometimes leads to quite pleasant surprises.

I keep more brass onhand than I can lift, and let's not even go there with projectiles. But powders...: I skimp on them, and use up what I buy quickly. Two ammo cans and that's it. We four make shopping trips to Sierra Vista a number of times monthly; and I plan my handloading projects around how that pans out. I also restrict my onhand powder choices to a minimal number. Three decades can teach much.

As my handloading mentor once quipped; if the house catches fire, he's headed for the next county. I don't want, or have, that problem,.

Ammo is not stored in the main buildings, and powder is kept in a magazine self built compliant with very stringent NY State Fire Codes; bright red and white, boldly marked, made of wood (reduced potential for shrapnel), and bang straight on visible from the shop entry.

Greg
Good storage practices, Greg. I should maybe do better as I do keep a lot. It is all stored by itself but not contained. FWIW, my house in Minnesota did catch fire when I had about 180 lbs. stored there. Fortunately, all that got burned was one corner of the lower floor siding (vinyl). The OSB underneath was singed a little, but no structural damage to it. A little arguing with the insurance company, $1000 bucks, and I had a whole house sided. In a very different color than what all the neighbors had. Or, had in mind for me residing it.

Anyhow, with the volume of shooting, there is no way to use up every last kernel of what you don't think is optimal. If your LGS will work with you and get what you want, great. I've tried that with my LGS and it just seems too hard to do. So, on to the internet I go... Where it doesn't seem so hard.