• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Is anyone working with kydex?

adam330

Private
Minuteman
Jun 22, 2011
Northwest ohio
I was looking for some ideas for either a kydex press or for making a thermoformer. If anyone has used both and can give some input as to which style worked better I would appreciate it.

Yeah I have watched a view videos on youtube. It seems like most people use some type of foam press, I was just wondering if anyone hear had used a thermoform.

I have used a press. 2 pieces of particle board with foam on both pieces. A hole drilled in each corner with 6 inch bolts and wing nuts to tighten it down. Works pretty good for me.

I have two pieces of plywood with dense cellulose foam attached. I used two pieces of angle iron on the back of the plywood that fit over the jaws of my vice. I use a heat gun and large toaster oven to heat the Kydex and then form using the plywood/foam. This has worked great for holsters, knife sheaths, and cheek rests.

I also use the plywood press with foam. Got the design idea from a youtube video, uses clamps to hold it down. It works good for me.

I have my own holster business.

I made a press with some furniture wood (plywood would be fine) and some dense foam from usaknifemaker.com

I use a toaster over to heat my kydex and a heat gun to control retention and roll the edges. PM me if you need any more info. Be glad to help.