• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Is it bad to frequently remove the stock?

Jedi5150

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 29, 2010
Marina, CA
I bought a new Remington 700 XCR Compact Tactical. I'm leaving it in the factory Bell and Carlson stock for the forseable future. My question is would it be bad to remove the stock everytime I go to the range? My primary form of transportation is a motorcycle and I could find a bag to fit my rifle far easier and while attracting far less attention if it was only as long as the barrel and action.

If this wouldn't be practical please let me know. I also wouldn't do it if my accuracy is going to suffer considerably or if the rifle would be damaged in any way.

Thanks.

Re: Is it bad to frequently remove the stock?

Get a repeatable torque wrench and you shouldbe pretty close each time. However, your POI will change if you remove and reassemble.

I see your predicament. I guess times like this the Mini windrunner (Nemesis) comes really handy. Just remember to NOT over torque it. Your POI may change also making the cold bore shot a bit of a guessing game, possibly.

If it's bedded it depends on how you remove it.
Bedded... don't rock the muzzle up and down it will tear up the bedding. Rock it from side to side.

Thanks for the replies folks. I might have to play around a little bit and see just how far off it makes my POI.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jedi5150</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for the replies folks. I might have to play around a little bit and see just how far off it makes my POI. </div></div>

Next time you are at the range shoot a couple groups then take it off the stock and then put it back on again and then shoot another couple groups. It should give you a decent idea how far it drifts, if any. You can also go with Tigerbikes suggests, get a AICS 2.0 and be GTG.

If you bed it will be a little better also. a Good torque wrench at 65 inch pounds

I doubt that most folks will have enough experience to offer meaningful advice about this.

Typically, it's inadvisable to disturb the rifle's action/stock bedding relationship. They can wear and wear in this area is seldom a good thing where accuracy is involved.

I would advise a different strategy that allows the rifle to be conveyed intact. Hunters carry firearms on quads using a hard scabbard. Maybe something more along such lines could be more convenient.

Just a different approach...

Greg

the XCR Compact Tactical stock has an aluminum bedding block and it will return pretty well. just seat the action back against the recoil lug when re-assembling. the first "issue" that will pop up will be the action screws pulling through the Remington bottom metal after repeatedly removing/installing/torquing the screws.

koplin gun scabbard will attach to practically any bike/quad, it'a a far better option.

not sure what they're called but dont snipers rock around with backpack-style bags for thier rifles that are pretty secure. all im saying is i saw them on the jarhead movie and they'd be an excellent solution to your problem.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KeithR41</div><div class="ubbcode-body">However, your POI will change if you remove and reassemble.</div></div>

Maybe, Maybe not.

I have a M700 in a B&C stock that will return to zero when properly torqued. The rifle doesn't know if it's been removed or not. It just knows what pressure is being applied to the receiver and barrel when the trigger is pulled. As long as you are able to closely reproduce that, you will still be zeroed.

Now granted my 700 has been "shot in" quite a bit. Recoil has lapped the receiver and bedding block together so well that the tool marks on the bottom of the receiver can be seen mirrored in the block. It may take a few rounds for your rifle to react in a similar way.

<span style="font-weight: bold">To the OP:</span>

If you enjoy walking, DO NOT carry a rifle strapped to your body on a motorcycle. That is almost a guaranteed spinal injury in an accident.

As the others have stated, find a way to strap it to the bike.

If you will be shooting 800 and in, you may want to look at chopping the barrel to 16" and installing an AICS 2.0. That will allow the rifle to fold to a very compact size that will more easily fit on a motorcycle.

Thanks for the continued advice. The AICS 2.0 would be much handier, I admit. On the other hand, $1k on a new stock is pretty painful on the wallet, particularly since I'm rather fond of the looks on the B&C.

Lonewolf, the barrel shortening suggestion is not something I'd considered, since I've always thought 20" was short to begin with. But realistically, I don't ever see myself shooting past 800 yards (in fact this was the distance I planned for being max when I bought the rifle). I'm going to have to give that some thought...thanks for the suggestion.

PS- thanks for the head's up on transporting the rifle on my back. I've actually been an EMT (both full and part-time) for the past 15 years, along with a tactical medic. I'm in complete agreement with you. Luckily my bike is a BMW enduro with nice big luggage racks. It's an ungainly looking bike to begin with and I'm sure nobody would even notice a rifle case as long as the length wasn't too bad. ;-)

aaah cheers for the heads up guys. i had no idea it could do that.
well as i said, Koplin make a removeable gun case that'll attach to your bike/quad/plane. would definitley be worth a look.
plus im fairly sure its designed to protect it in a crash.

Could someone who has an AICS 2.0 measure the folded length for me? And including the OAL with your barrel length listed would be helpful too. I'm trying to see what barrel length with the folded stock would get me to the federal minimum of 26".

Thanks!

I get 8in difference with the supplied LOP spacers.

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...308#Post1819308

SCAN0001.jpg

I don't anyone would notice in Cal.
shocked.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wirehand</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I get 8in difference with the supplied LOP spacers.

</div></div>

Yeah, I read on the AI site that 8"+ is the difference between folded and non-folded. I'm more curious as to legth of the whole set-up when folded. In the thread you linked one poster wrote that his OAL was 33", but he didn't tell what barrel length he was using...

That poster was probably myself.

The barrel length is 20, but with a 1.5in. suppresor mount.

33.5 - 1.5 = 32 so if you wanted to get to 26 OAL folded then you could go to a 14 in. barrel, however that would send you into NFA territorty.

Not to metion a remarkable fireball/noise.

Thanks Wirehand, it actually was you. hehe.

I'm not shooting for 26" OAL, I just wanted to know what barrel length would get it that low so that I could avoid it. If I decide to cut the barrel down I doubt I'd go shorter than 18" or so. Thanks again for the info.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">IIRC Federal Law measures with stocks extended. It would be in your best interest to double check. </div></div>

You're correct, I was thinking California. In CA (where I live) it is 26" OAL with stock folded (for non-semiauto weapons). So meeting the federal 26" stock extended requirement is no problem.

From what I understod the 26 in Fed. standard still has to be met if the weapon is operable in the folded position.

Which it will be with an AICS.

The OP will still be able to met this and then some with a 18 incher.

Ok I just did some more time in this subject and I found that I am mistaken.

The Feds seem only to care if the weapon will get to 26 somewhere in it's design.

Cali. is hung up on whethere it is operable in the folded/collapsed state.

Semi auto and bolt are another point of distinction, 30 and 26 respectivly.

I now know more about a states laws that I couldn't be paid enough to live in.