• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Is it good to detach your bipod every time you store the gun?

nightwolf0215

Private
Minuteman
Feb 27, 2013
Southern California
I just bought a pelican 1750 for my AI AE with Big Dog Steel rail extension and GG&G Bipod. Is it ok to detach it everytime I store the gun into the case?

What about other thing such as the scope or scope with ring? What is a safe item to take off and what is a not safe thing to take off.

Here is a pic:

2013-03-12_15-52-31_236_zpsa27bba43.jpg

taking the bipod off is no big deal, just a pain. removing the scope on the the other hand, i wouldn't do. it doesn't hurt anything to leave your rifle as is either.
cheers.

If you buy a quality mount, your optic can be removed and reinstalled with minimal poi shift. That said, it's not something I would make a habit of. Bipods, slings, lights, lasers, grips, as long as you don't split the barreled action from the stock your poi will be consistent. Just keep the optic and bore on the same line and the rest is fluid.

Why remove anything? You can take the bipod off if you want but i wouldn't take the scope off unless you plan on checking your zero every time you go to the range. Also after a few times it will become a pain in the ass and you won't want to do it.

Also if you are storing the rifle in a case then make sure to have a desiccant pack in there so the foam doesn't trap moisture and cause rusting.

Leave'em on. Especially the scope. What's the reason for taking them off? I'm with Rob and wouldn't trust the zero no matter the quality of the QD set up.