• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision Is it safe to leave batteries in PVS7?

IDMilton

Private
Minuteman
Apr 12, 2017
Is it safe to leave batteries in a PVS7? I am kind of new to this and I realize this may be a dumb question but when I googled it I can’t find an answer. I am using energizer ultimate lithium batteries that are not supposed to ever leak, but I’m wondering if there’s some drain on the batteries even when the unit is off that would cause them to be dead when I use them later.
These are just for playing so it’s not really a big deal to just store the batteries out and put them in when needed, but I am mainly just curious.

I had a pair years ago and the batteries leaked inside of the housing. They corroded the electrical busswork and it had to be replaced. I learned from that mistake and always remove batteries.

Reactions: culater
Good habit to get in is to always remove batteries after every use of an NVD.

I've heard guys say "well then I want be ready to use them"- but I think we all have a little "clue" when darkness is coming every day, so you have time to put batteries in.

And it will definitely save you from a corroded battery compartment and related issues.

Is it safe to leave batteries in a PVS7? I am kind of new to this and I realize this may be a dumb question but when I googled it I can’t find an answer. I am using energizer ultimate lithium batteries that are not supposed to ever leak, but I’m wondering if there’s some drain on the batteries even when the unit is off that would cause them to be dead when I use them later.
These are just for playing so it’s not really a big deal to just store the batteries out and put them in when needed, but I am mainly just curious.
Energizer lithium seems to be the choice of Kestrel users. They leave a battery in.
Alkaline will leak eventually, period.
I don't even leave the lithiums in any nvg, just because I will avoid even the smallest possible chance and like he said above, you'll see darkness coming and have a few seconds head start.
But it's a good question, take care.

Reactions: Lowdown3
Thanks for the responses. I guess I will play it safe by leaving them out.

I don’t worry about leakage, specifically. But you would be surprised at how many burned tubes I’ve seen because dudes accidentally left them on and have the pinhole seared forever into the dead center of their tube for all eternity.

I bet Vic, Robert and other vendors could write a book on it.

Reactions: Lowdown3
The Man aka TheHorta brings up a good point I left out. Taking the battery out keeps any crazy "I left it on pointing towards a light all night and an image burned in" type scenarios from coming up.

We usually gear up in our house (we live in the woods) and then drive over to our range a few miles away in our Ranger. We check everything before we leave and when we get back we go through a bit of a standard process in making sure binos are shut off, cap them, battery out and put in Pelican case. Before we leave the range while still under NODS we double check IR lasers, illuminators, etc. that they are off. Back home the batteries are removed out of them also. I started my 13 year old doing this 7 years ago and within a short period of time he started going through everything on his own in similar order when we got back. The training isn't done till the gear is put up correctly. We all work too hard to buy this stuff, might as well be sure it's going to be there for you for the long term.

And yes, battery corrosion issues are the only major "warranty" issue that is typically seen and of course it's an operator error issue to begin with.

Reactions: TheHorta