• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Is it worth having Savage custom build a rifle

jb1023

Minuteman
Dec 15, 2011
Colorado
I just called Savage Arms and asked about a custom rifle. Basically what the csr and I came up with is a Model 12 FCV stock (accustock) with a 20" heavy threaded barrel and accutrigger chambered in 30-06. She said the msrp would be $1100 but my price would be whatever I worked out with the dealer of my choice, does not have to be authorized Savage dealer. I have watched some vids on youtube, 1000 yds for under $1k, and such and that is what I would like to use as my guideline for my build. The Savage 10 P-SR that many of these people used is now discontinued and only came in 308, thus the reason for my call. While I am not opposed to the 308, and might actually like the recoil better, I currently reload for the 30-06 and everyone I shoot with shoots 30-06 so ammo is easy to come by and swap when needed.

Background:
I currently own a Ruger M77 built in 1973 that I got from my FIL. When I got it from him he said it was a good shooter with 4" group at 100 yds. I figured he misspoke as he was a sniper in Kor/Nam and that is not a good group even for a novice like me. Anyway, I am finding that he did not misspeak. I am just starting to look at budget long range shooting.

I guess my question is, is this a waste? I am guessing the out the door price will be somewhere around $850-900. Are there better options in 30-06 already that I can look at for less money?

Sorry if this is a bit muddled.

Only you can decide if it is worth it to you.
I will tell you that many folks build their own savages. It is simple to do, but you must factor in the cost of the tools to do the job. These will run you around 250 dollars for the barrel vise, barrel nut wrench and go, no-go gages, then add the cost of a barrel.

You have another couple of options.
Call ER Shaw, they do builds on savage actions: Build Your E.R. Shaw Mk. VII Rifle

They do not advertise "match barrels" but their barrels are likely as good or better than a standard factory tube.

You could also just buy a Remington Long Range in 30'06.
Out of stock now, but seems to be everything you want:
Remington 700 Long Range 4+1 30-06SPRG 26" $664.00 SHIPS FREE

+1 on that.

I was about to pull the trigger on savage building a 10 FCP-SR ( now discontinued). Then I just happened to find one un-fired BNIB with a freshly mounted scope for less than I could have pieced it all together for.

If you have patience you can find what you are looking for. But I would say 308 will have more current choices.

If you register over on SS you can find the parts needed to build a savage your self. There are people over there selling tons of Savage actions, barrels, custom builds. You may even find someone local that would help you assemble.

I have 5 Savages, only issue is extraction and ejection, one or the other or both on all of them, this after I had the two major smiths work them over so I am now building a mirror image inventory except with Remington and Stiller actions, more expensive with the smith work but they work every time. I am done with my Savages, except my LR 06.

To ring the velocity outta that cartridge I would not suggest a 20" barrel. My heavy barrel 06 is a 26". If your set on a 20" a 308 will do all you need with that length.

Since you already load for the 30-06 and are familiar with it then I suggest you stay with that caliber. It's better for 1000 yd. shooting anyway. For a Savage rifle this would be a 110 or 112 series rifle. The 10 and 12 series are short action rifles for .308 length cartridges. As a general rule the Savage rifles will give you the most accuracy for the buck as any rifle on the market, and there many ways to play with the rifle later. I personally would want at least a 24" barrel to burn all the powder in a 30-06 length case. With a little shopping around you should be able to find a good ready to go in the box heavy barrel rifle in 30-06 and a good medium to good quality scope in the 4x to 12x or 6x to 20x range for about a $1000 to $1400 investment. Trying to keep it under $1000 will probably find you spending more money on another scope in a year or two.

Thanks all for the input. I was told by my dealer of choice that they spoke with Savage and were given a price of $985. I have decided that I am going to go with the Savage 10 PC in 308. I have a Vortex Diamondback 4-12x40 I will mount on it for now and upgrade to a Vortex Viper HS-T 6-24x50 when I can. It will cost me about $100 to get setup to reload 308 +brass so I will come out ahead in the long run.

If you register over on SS you can find the parts needed to build a savage your self. There are people over there selling tons of Savage actions, barrels, custom builds. You may even find someone local that would help you assemble.

Forgive my ignorance but what is SS?

SS is a great place to find a lot of information and support for the Savage action, Tons of vendors there that are very active and knowledgeable.

I used Savage Shooters and Youtube to build a Savage myself in .260 (PTG Tac/Match reamer). I thoroughly enjoyed the process, and have the additional pride in having built it myself. I picked up several parts off here used to keep the price down. I shot groups in the .3's during load development, and I'm new to precision shooting and precision reloading (prone, bipod 100yds). I did have the action already, so that is a consideration.

If you don't already have the action, I'd consider a Tikka for the price. I just purchased one to build as a lighter alternative to my .260.

IMG_20140515_132229_948_zps6vbszhft.jpg

Can't go wrong with a diy savage build. I've built 2. A 243 and a 300rum. Very accurate.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 19
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 48
+1 on the Tikka. My first gun was Savage model 10 fcp-k in .308. I loved it and it shot great, but after I bought a Tikka in .260, I sold the Savage and switched to Tikkas.

I walked into the gun shop wanting a Savage 10FP (for the price and DIY barrel swap feature, which I'm still jealous of), got the standard lecture on the supremacy of Remington 700s and disgusted scowl when they brought in a dusty Savage from the back room, and then I ended up buying a Tikka.

I guess that's a more common scenario than I thought. But I still don't understand the negative reputation of Savages. Obviously I picked the Tikka but out of the three the Savage seemed like the second-best deal.

I will tell you that many folks build their own savages. It is simple to do, but you must factor in the cost of the tools to do the job. These will run you around 250 dollars for the barrel vise, barrel nut wrench and go, no-go gages, then add the cost of a barrel.

I think your numbers are a little off. You can buy the action wrench and barrel nut wrench from Northland Shooters Supply for 85 bucks for both. Another 30 bucks a piece for headspace gauges and you're set.

If you go custom just go with a 700 action and be done with it.

Too bad the only good thing about 700 action is the footprint ... and that's debatable.

If you reload - you can use a sized piece of brass for the go/no-go gauge.

Vise and wrench will run $100.

I don't like to chase my brass two-three lanes over at the range - ejection is not a problem for me.
Extraction does need to be addressed (easily at that) with proper space behind rear bolt baffle - but for some reason even well-known smiths can't figure it out... Other than that - that extractor is a beast.