• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Is it worth it??

avidflyer

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 18, 2011
St Louis
I have a NSX nightforce. Thinking of upgrading to a USO or a Schmidt and Bender. Is it really worth the price? How are the clicks? My nightforce is very postive. I love my zero stop. Are the others as durable? Any feed back would be helpful, could even go premier.

Re: Is it worth it??

to me personally the upgrade to s&b is worth it but not to uso. if i am going to pay over $2500 i want the best of everything and i think s&b and hensoldt will give you that.

if you don't need ffp it may be a waste of money. Rifle scopes are a perfect example of the law of diminishing returns. which means the s&b won't be twice as good as the nxs just because it cost twice as much. On the bright side all the german glass scopes have unbelievably good resale if you deciede you don't need it.

Personally I would rather have one or two great rifles with german glass, than a bunch of good rifles with middle of the road glass.

how are the clicks on the S&B? Anything like a zerostop feature?

I have to agree with the above on a couple of points. Personally, I don't consider a USO to be an upgrade from a Nightforce and the S&B isn't twice as good, but it is appreciably better, meaning that I could see the difference.

What I will disagree on is that I don't consider the Nightforce to have merely middle of the road glass. I'd say that the glass in a Nightforce is very good, while that of the S&B would be excellent.

I'll put it this way, although I can afford it, using the S&B didn't make me want to run out and dump my Nightforce scopes in favor of S&B. I could and do have two Nightforce scopes and am very comfortable having those rather than one S&B for nearly the same price.

the turrets on the s&b are noticeably cleaner feeling and audible than the nxs. mind you they are way closer together also, so they are a new level of precise.

sorry about the nxs middle of the rd thing, i should mention my scale is different than most peoples i don't even consider glass that is worse than a leupold vx II or nikon monarch even for a rimfire. I think if the rifle is worth owning it deserves good glass.

I can honestly barely tell the difference between bushnell elite, leupold mk iv, nxs, uso optically. however if you put one of them next to a s&b, premier, or hensoldt it is very noticeable.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: avidflyer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">how are the clicks on the S&B? Anything like a zerostop feature? </div></div>

Firm, you aren't going to bump them off their setting unless its intentional. Yes on Zero Stop. It's actually easier to adjust for your zero, loosen the screws, adjust turret cap to zero and your set.

One thing with S&B's you usually have between .4-.6 Mil below your zero slack, but it's consistent on the scope. I don't mind this because even when I had 2 NF scopes I left at least .5 mil below zero for when I attached my suppressors.

I have both S&B and NF and the S&B was worth the investment for me and it was not one I really noticed right away. Another thing I will say is that when you can just pick up a scope and notice a differnce in the glass (and with S&B and NF I could) that is bigger than it would seem at 1st because after you use it for a while in different temps, lighting and other variables you will see an even bigger difference and for me S&B is on a whole differnt level than NF but it is not twice as good. On the clicks I really liked NF and judge everything by them, I like the space between the NF clicks but perfer the size, feel and adjustment range of one revolution of the S&B better.

James