• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Is it worth putting a muzzel brake on a .308

Rob.308

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 21, 2012
I am wondering if it is even worth doing on a .308. That kick is so little already that I just wanted to get others opinions on the matter. Is it worth the extra $200 bucks to do it?

Thanks in advance,
Rob

Re: Is it worth putting a muzzel brake on a .308

I think it depends on what Rifle you have. Because I can say that my .308 kicks a heluva lot more than my fathers. I have a Stevens 200 and he has a REM700. Both are standard factory contour. As well the recoil pad has a lot to say in this too.

If yours doesn't kick than I wouldn't spend the $200 on it.

Guess it might depend on if you want to see any of your hits or misses. They sure do help for that since we know none of us are ever affected by recoil.

Topstrap

Thanks for your input. I am shooting a .308 Remington 700, 5R with the bull barrel. It has such a mild kick I am just not sure it is worth doing. I wanted to get a few opinions before I have the bolt fluted. I wanted to do all the work at the same time.

thanks for you input,
Rob

For most people who install brakes on a 308 they don't do it to help recoil but instead to help keep the shooter on target. A muzzle brake will help keep you on target and will also help when shooting in positions where you can not properly get behind the rifle.

I didn't think there would be much of a difference but there was. Mine is very soft shooting now and I only have the AAC brake for mounting my can. If I could have the APA Fat Bastard line with a can...that would be perfect.

Thanks

Made a big difference for me when shooting in less than perfect positions allowing me to get a better bead on calling the shot, seeing the impact and follow-ups.

Again depends on what you're using the rifle for.

So far my favorite one is the smith good iron 1005-ss

Some say it's being a wuss. I say it's maximizing the use of available technology. I have a brake on my 22. Hell...I have a comp on my airsoft pistol.

Go for it.

Rich

The surefire brake is great for low recoil and follow up shots.

I did it for staying on target and follow ups as I usually shoot alone. It really helps with that and the really light recoil is a nice bonus.

Jake,

What brea are your using? How do you like it?

Staying on target would be nice.

Thanks,
Rob

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: aziator</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I didn't think there would be much of a difference but there was. Mine is very soft shooting now and I only have the AAC brake for mounting my can. If I could have the APA Fat Bastard line with a can...that would be perfect. </div></div>

+1

IT also really helps keep me on target for follow up shots and makes it easier to see where i hit.

Would anyone recommend a gunsmith to do the work? I don't have anyone local so I will have to mail it out. I am just a little anxious about sending a barrel to someone who's work I have seen in person.

I was thiking about using Pro Precision Rifles. The work looks awsome in the pics but I just don't know anyone who has personally used them. If anyone could help I would apprecaite it.

thanks,
Rob

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rob.308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Would anyone recommend a gunsmith to do the work? </div></div>

Mark Gordon at Short Action Customs did mine.

Link

Where are you located?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rob.308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Jake,

What brea are your using? How do you like it?

Staying on target would be nice.

Thanks,
Rob </div></div>
I'm using the Rad rapid brake. I'm pretty happy with it and its easy to remove if you dont want to shoot with it for whatever reason.

Alabama

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lawofsavage</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would look up Jody at JP Precision.

http://www.jpprecision.net/

He's in Oxford, AL.</div></div>

Jody is OK for machine work.

Has anyone used a Big Chubby brake yet? The videos look awesome but they often do.

thanks,
Rob

Rob I didn't put this in the PM but I would go with an APA lil bastard or the regular bastard. The hype is true about them.

I put a PWS PRC on my .308 bolt gun. After shooting a few hundred rounds, I was having a problem finding the pocket when I shot, thus affecting my accuracy. The PWS ended those problems.

I think a break is a great addition to a .308. It makes it so much Easyer to spot your own shot's so it will ultimately speed up your corrections. Also they create a nice buffer around you at the range;)

I would love to, but they're just too damn loud. That's the only thing holding me back from putting one on my gun. Note that my 308 is also my hunting rifle.

I almost put a brake on my Winchester Stealth in .308, but the more I shoot it the better I get at controlling my rifle. At first I was not able to spot my shots for sh!t, but now I can spot my hits pretty good. Practice, Practice, Practice......

I shoot a brake and a mod on my .sako TRG. I love the brake. It allow quick re-acquisition of your target, especially in multi positional shooting. I like my mod but in sustained fire the mirage is a PITA.

I can highly recommend the following for 308:

- Surefire
- Benny Hill/Triangle Shooting Sports
- JP Enterprises (www.jprifles.com) Brake
- AAC Brake/suppressor adapter

As for a 'smith to install it, it really depends on where you're located, but Mark Gordon at SAC is an easy pick.

Rich

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rob.308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Has anyone used a Big Chubby brake yet? The videos look awesome but they often do.

thanks,
Rob </div></div>

I have.

My buddy put one on his 284 Win, and it really, really, really took the recoil out of that rifle. He's got a 27" M40 contour obermeyer and his rifle weighs ~17lb all up. Can easily watch your own trace, and it basically feels like an AR15.

For comparison sake, my 18lb 284 Win with 26" M40, and contoured APA LB (brake was turned to match the barrel taper) recoils a bunch more. Very manageable nonetheless, but absolutely nowhere NEAR as effective as that big chubby brake. I had also fired about 50 rounds through my rifle with the APA LB before turning it down to match the barrel, and even so, the big chubby is considerably more effective than the LB.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rob.308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am wondering if it is even worth doing on a .308. That kick is so little already that I just wanted to get others opinions on the matter. Is it worth the extra $200 bucks to do it?

Thanks in advance,
Rob </div></div>It hard to give you an educated answer, other than "No", without knowing what rifle/barrel length/weight setup you are using and what use you have intended for the rifle.

i threw one on my 700 aac. Huge difference. Loud as all get out, scares the kids away.

edit. that was the ratt works big chubby. very nice brake.

Experience is often our best teacher. I did a lot of work on my position and being consistent. I can spot my hits and misses easy. I didn't mind the benefits of a brake, having tried rifles that had them, but didn't see the point.

Then I went to the 2012 Cup. Not only did I not get to pick my spot, it was often arranged to where I HAD to shoot from awkward, off camber, and less than ideal positions. Now I see the point. Its not a crutch for those that cant shoot, though I do think you should spend some time behind a precision rifle before you get one. It is an added benefit for times when your position isnt ideal.

Rich

Thanks for the input Turbo.

Rich,

I appreciate your input. Thanks for adding it.

Do you have a favorite brake?

As far as a smith, take a look at Karl from Kampfeld Customs. I just received a rifle back that he threaded the barrel for a suppressor, made a thread protector, and fluted my bolt. The work is impeccable, and the turn around was fast.

I love my brakes. They do add some noise to the equation, but with that being said for normal static shooting i love them

Pws makes the best ive used

+1 for the Little Bastard

27bd7ffbfc88d8eea24bb5c2f2857b65.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rob.308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Has anyone used a Big Chubby brake yet? The videos look awesome but they often do.

thanks,
Rob </div></div>

Ya. The big chubby works as advertised. It is an awesome break. The little chubby has just come out for AR10 rifles also but I haven't tried one yet.

Here's a pic of mine on a heavy barrel 700 before paint.

BA695704-5E48-491B-8672-C2CAE89E8DD3-5276-000004A5B590316E.jpg

I ordered my AW .308 with an SAS TOMB, which is threaded on the outside for my SAS Arbiter suppressor. I shot the rifle with just the brake for nine months while waiting for all the paperwork to clear.

The brake makes it very easy to spot my own impacts, and I'm able to see the trace from my rounds on occasion. The blast isn't bad at the shooting position but is quite fierce off to the sides. It's a moot point now since I'm running with the can.

If I did it again, I'd give serious thought to a removable brake that I could pop off when shooting with groups of people. It's simply no fun shooting next to somebody with a brake. You don't want to be that guy
smile.gif

—Andreas

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Andreas</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

If I did it again, I'd give serious thought to a removable brake that I could pop off when shooting with groups of people. It's simply no fun shooting next to somebody with a brake. You don't want to be that guy
smile.gif

—Andreas </div></div>

1. I have no problem being that guy. It's a gun range. Guns have muzzle blast.

2. Simply removing a brake for more courteous shooting, or perhaps for NRA events is a novel idea in theory, but should not be counted on to actually work. I've shot several rifles that do not shoot the same load well both with/without the brake. That means developing a load individually for both configurations.

Also...

God damn the big chubby is an ugly SOB.

Any drop in recoil makes any arm more pleasurable to shoot..It is nice to fire and still be on target..

I would only to put a suppressor on it. Like a Surefire or other QD style suppressor.

Good info. Considering one of these on my 700 SPS tactical with the 20 inch barrel. Any suggestions of which of the brakes in the Bastard serious would be best? I can see the advantages of a removable brake, but damn they just look messy

I ended up putting a brake on my 700p to help tame recoil while shooting from a bench and now an afternoon of shooting is more enjoyable for me personally, can't say the same for anyone sitting near me... I can see impact from about 250 out which is a massive plus not having to rely on another shooter to call for me. I went with a RAD rapid brake that in my opinion looks great and its easily removed, do it all the time for cleaning just cause I can..

I agree with you 100%...it is ugly! But I would rather have have a weapon that shot great rather than looked great.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rob.308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for your input. I am shooting a .308 Remington 700, 5R with the bull barrel. It has such a mild kick I am just not sure it is worth doing. I wanted to get a few opinions before I have the bolt fluted. I wanted to do all the work at the same time.

thanks for you input,
Rob </div></div>

I have the same gun. Mine is the 24". I'm assuming yours is to, since the 20" R5 Milspec already has threads cut into it. I will put a brake on it at some point. Let me know if you beat me to the punch and I''l do the same. If it works well on yours, it will probably work well on mine too.

I put an AAC brake on the end of my Savage 308 mostly just for the can compatibility - but it sure turned it into a lightweight - can shoot that thing all day, especially with the big squishy rubber buttpad that comes on the Savages.
photo136.JPG

EZTUNDRA77 do you have a Toyota Tundra? I just laughed when I read your post. I ask because we have the same gun and possibly the same truck! Just too funny if it is true.

Mine does have the 24 in barrel on it and I just love the gun. I couldn't be happier with it. I feel like I didn't buy enough optic for it. I am using a 4.5 X 14 Leupold on it. I was in the process of going with something stronger for it when someone suggested putting a break on it. With the machine work + brake + shipping I am in the $300 range. Certainly cheaper than the new optic I have been considering. I have twice shot a penny at 200yds with the setup I have now. I just really enjoy shooting as accurately as I can.

What rounds are you shooting through yours? I am using Hornady 30501's, 168gr match round. I weigh each round before I load them and they seem very good for the money. The come in a box of 100 instead of 50 like others I have tried. I am always interested in seeing what others are using with success. I had the action bedded into the stock but I just didn't see much of a difference at the distances I am shooting, but, I haven't gone out past 600 yards yet.