• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Is it worth reloading 5.56 for plinking?

ZLBubba

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 15, 2009
Maryland
Shooting is not a cheap hobby, as we all know, but reloading makes it a bit more tolerable. I bought a Forster Co-Ax last year to roll my own 308 match, and plinking handgun ammo since prices were so high. It's pretty easy to break even when 50 rounds of 45ACP are $30.

I don't reload 7mmRM yet simply because it's my hunting rifle, and what it would cost me to get up and running, then develop a great load, is outweighed by only getting 2 good weeks of hunting out of that rifle per year. It doesn't seem to be worth the cost, so I just buy the premium federal hunting ammo, my rifle shoots about .75MOA with it, and I go hunting.

Now I'm getting to the point where I'm using my AR more and more. Since I've got a single stage, reloading hundreds of round of 5.56mm plinking ammo doesn't seem cost efficient when I can buy a case of 1000 for less than $300. My AR isn't a precision rig; I mainly use it to stay sharp on my carbine skills and for distances less than 200 yards. With the loads of cheap 5.56mm ammo out there, the benefit just doesn't seem to outweigh the cost.

How many of you reload 5.56mm on a single stage, and is it worth it for plinking ammo? BTW, the second option is supposed to be MATCH ammo. I must have omitted it when I made the poll. My bad.

Re: Is it worth reloading 5.56 for plinking?

I load on a progressive and that's definitely worth the time. I did 1,000 rounds on a single stage press before I got the progressive, and I wouldn't do it again for plinking ammo.

Hmm. I guess it all depends how much free time you have too.

I'm a high volume competitive shooter. I tend to think of and refer to my AR as a "long pistol". And reloading-wise, other than case triming each piece of brass, my reloading time cranking out .223 is similar to how I reload for pistol. As I have dedicated dillon 1050s per different calibers, I can't imagine reloading on a single stage for high volume needs. I find I can reload accurate 77 gr. .223 loads with powders that flow well in a progressive powder measure.

Now, LR precision rifle is definitely a different story. That's what I would use the ss for (although I use a dillon 650 as kind of a three-stage for that). Hand prime, chargemaster for powder throws, but use the 650 for depriming, case resizing, fl resizing, bullet seating.

I don't "plink" as all my shooting is precision/LR/hunting. Load it all on a single stage press. I do drop powder on a Herall precision measure. Ramshot Tac drops exactly the correct charge every time. Hand prime. Odd about k2's statement about long pisol. That is what I have done as well. I do not shoot/carry a .45 anymore.

its a personal choice...budget, time availability, is reloading relaxing? Did you get marathon loading session in last winter and have an inventory?

When I find specials, like Cabella's now has ammo at $4 a box, I stock up for those times when I have not reloaded and need some plinking ammo.

I enjoy reloading, but only when I'm working on precision recipes. My AR is strictly a plinker/comp gun. I run it hard and shoot the shit out of it. I don't think I'll get much use out of getting the 5.56 dies, mats, and working up a load.

For me the best solution for loading .223 for plinking is to not treat it like match ammo. I order a batch of primed once-fired cases from Top Brass, use cheap 55 gr FMJ bullets and a light load of Varget. Powder is thrown from a good quality manual dispenser, and I only weigh every 10 rounds or so. I can do 50 rounds in about 15 minutes though a progressive press would be a better solution.

I load my bulk 5.56 for casual shooting on a Dillon 550B using ball powder (748) since stick powder tends to drop varing loads and/or spill all over the place. But for target loads I essentially use the Dillon like a single stage press. I use the resizing station the take the round out and drop powder with a ChargeMaster 1500, skipping the powder measures station. Then reinsert the cartrige and seat the bullet with a Forster seating die. Definately a lot less costly than buying commerical ammo.

I just started using a Redding T-7 with the .223 dies. I batch tumble, batch resize, batch trim, batch etc., etc., etc. Hotel ice buckets work great!

I also have a 550 and honestly don't see any time savings between throwing something together and making quality reloads, unless you're firing full auto......

Looking at it another way, you have a lot tied up in rifle and materials, what's a little more time to produce the best you can

I did a cost analysis for 223 "blasting" ammo (55/62gr FMJ) and found I can buy ammunition for approximately the same cost as making my own. At least in the quantities that I'm willing to buy my components in. I had already loaded 1k on a single stage press before I did this research. Not again. To me it was just too big of a pain in the ass trying to find the best deal on brass, getting bullets while they're on sale, finding primers (regardless of price) to put up with that again.....with no end user savings for ammunition that I expect to group within 1.5-2.5 MOA.

That being said, I do load "match grade" 75gr BTHP loads on a single stage press.

If you are just going to use it for plinking spend a hundred dollors on a Lee Classic Turret press and it will cut alot of your time in half. Well worth a hundred dallors.
I resize/deprime
tumble
Trim
I use all 4 stages on on the turret press
1 stage- Lyman decapping die to make sure the flash hole does not have any media in it.
Prime in the way down
2-stage powder die
3-seater die
4- lee factory crimp die.
I would not try to load anything match on a lee classic
Just good for plinking ammo

I agree with sawgunner. It is not cost effective to hand load 55 gr plinking ammo (especially on a single stage). For my time, only ammo with 77gr SMKs is worth my time to load. Even then, I use a Giraud to trim and throw powder directly into the case (weigh first and 50th charge).

I tend to buy surplus 55gr and harvest the brass for the match loads.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Thestew03</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I would not try to load anything match on a lee classic </div></div>

Why not? Is it going to push the bullet in sideways?

I guess it depends on if you already have the equipment and what your time is worth. I don't know that I'd buy several $100 is stuff to load plinkers, but if you already have a press, dies, and some fired brass, why not? You gotta do something in the winter time...

-Slice

If I didn't have a 550, then I probably wouldn't.

I load in spurts, of which I always load range plinking ammo at the end of a week spurt. It saves money on shooting the good stuff at a short range, and it also increases my ability to new powders or projectiles. I have only been loading for about 2 - 3 years so I feel that it helps get some additional time on the handle. I do use a progressive though for most my loads, and about the only load I use a single stage for is 308 match rounds.

I dont look at the time as a cost as I view reloading extremely relaxing, I sit down, turn on some talk radio, smoke a cig, have a beer, and work up the press, and start running. I prime all off press as my Hornady LnL was bought used w/o a full primer set. Which is ok, as I prime in the house watching tv with the wife so she gets some Bull time.

Anyways what I am saying is, what is your time worth, or do you view reloading as a pastime? If its the later then go for it, but I imagine after 1000-2000 rnds youll buy a progressive and wonder why you didnt do it earlier. Heck Im looking at a case feeder to really build a stock this winter.

i load bulk practice 223 ammo for 17.5 cents a round, possibly a bit less if i find the powder and primers cheap. 55g fmjs were less than $400 for 6k a couple years ago so i stocked up. i toss 24g of benchmark through a cheap lee thrower - i use benchmark because its accurate enough, and it meters real well throught the lee. anyways i use these loads for my ar(which i shoot very little), and my practice 223 bolt gun. they shoot 1moa, or slightly worse, but r good enough for plinkin and practicing wind reading etc to 600yds

i enjoy reloading as well, so its no big chore to churn these out. my son is learning to reload, so i often let him do it under my watchful eye.

We do both here.

Rattle-rounds, for one rifle. As well as "precision rounds" for another. All on a single-stage (Spar-T) 'cause Santy' ain't left us a XL650 yet.

Ya never know when you'll have to "repel boarders!".

I figure my time is worth something, so single stage = match ammo. A box of good match ammo is going to cost me really close to what components + my time will be and won't shoot as good as my loads tailored to my firearm. So for approximately the same money, I get better groups.

For plinking ammo, I pound 'em out on my 550B, and by buying components in bulk, the cost (parts and labor) comes in well below what milsurp ammo goes for and shoots significantly better.

As a previous poster mentioned, if you're loading on a single stage, why not spend a couple more pennies per round and load really good ammo for the same investment of time as "knockaround" ammo?

For plinking i use ball powder WC844 8lb/$90. Bulk 193 55gn somewhere around $80-90 for 1k (cant remember) and i guesstimate that i usually get 3-4 loads before the necks start splitting but not sure because I don't sort or log just cull/work out of a 5 gal bucket. I load on a single stage but the lee CC turret sounds appealing. I have to say though that I enjoy reloading almost as much as I do shooting. Something about the feeling of accomplishment. My Possum Hollow Kwick Case Trimmer is my friend though
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Humungus</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Thestew03</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I would not try to load anything match on a lee classic </div></div>

Why not? Is it going to push the bullet in sideways?</div></div>

You can see the turret raise each time you seat the bullet. There is not a big diffrence in the seating depth but big enough I would not want to load match ammo with it. Other than that I was really suprised with the quality for the price. just my 2 cents

Reloading your own ammo is like brewing your own beer, dont it so save money. Do it because you enjoy reloading, shooting, and the satisfaction from doing so.

If you have try to cost justify it, dont factor in your time as money, unless you'd be making money doing something else. ie opportunity cost.

If you either reload some ammo or play xbox, then its time well spent reloading.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tomcat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you have try to cost justify it, dont factor in your time as money, unless you'd be making money doing something else. ie opportunity cost.

If you either reload some ammo or play xbox, then its time well spent reloading. </div></div>

True dat!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tomcat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Reloading your own ammo is like brewing your own beer, dont it so save money. Do it because you enjoy reloading, shooting, and the satisfaction from doing so.
</div></div>

Exactly, but I'd add one more point to that statement. The money spent on purchasing factory ammo would equate to a substantial amount MORE reloaded ammo for you to enjoy shooting,,,,, more!

Once you have the infrastructure, of course.

I have not fired factory ammo in 20+ years!

Well, 22lr I do! but if they could be reloaded I would not!

I reloaded everything that is center fire and can be reloaded, 22 Hornet to 50 BMG.

Thinking about it a little more! I have fired factory ammo in the past few years. However, it was not mine!! I help new guys at our range day at the club line in their rifles for deer season. I always get to keep the brass!!
grin.gif

Sure equipment has really got $$$$ over the past two years. Also, since Talon mfg closed the surplus stuff has disappeared. I still believe it to be the best way to get tons on trigger time and not pay a ton.

Terry

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Joe-n-TX</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For plinking i use ball powder WC844 8lb/$90. Bulk 193 55gn somewhere around $80-90 for 1k (cant remember) and i guesstimate that i usually get 3-4 loads before the necks start splitting but not sure because I don't sort or log just cull/work out of a 5 gal bucket. I load on a single stage but the lee CC turret sounds appealing. I have to say though that I enjoy reloading almost as much as I do shooting. Something about the feeling of accomplishment. My Possum Hollow Kwick Case Trimmer is my friend though
wink.gif

</div></div>

I'm much like you. I'm using TAC and whatever 55gr I can get ahold of. I average the cost of plinking bullets together as I add to the stockpile. Right now I'm at $130/k loaded rounds. Its all about the feeling of accomplishment for me.

I reload so that I can shoot, but more importantly I shoot so that I can reload!!!
As far as plinking goes, are you not ALWAYS aiming at some sort of target? And do you not get satisfaction out of hitting as close to your point of aim as CONSISTENTLY as possible? If your answer is yes, then why not load ALL rounds as CONSISTENTLY as possible? I load everything on a single stage, and when I find myself getting burned out trying to load too many in one sitting, I realize I take a break because I probably have plenty for my next trip to the range. I dont own any full auto weapons, so I try to treat EVERY shot (even with my AR) as if it MUST count!
That is just my .02, not that everyone should think that way. I am re-deploying right now from Afghanistan, and with a one year tour not having to fire a single round on a mission (thank God) I like to build muscle memory for well placed single shots, with fast follow up shots, not spray and pray. Too many misses with the later, and time allowed for "them" to fire back!