• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Is lcp the best option for pocket carry?

Re: Is lcp the best option for pocket carry?

My wife and I have a s&w m&p 40c, j frame, kahr cm9, sig p238, and ruger lcp that we use for carry. I agree that the 380 is not awe inspiring fire power, but have never met anyone that would like to be shot with any caliber. We carry as much gun as we can but down in the humid south we use the lcp an p238 ALOT. I prefer the p238 over lcp for target shooting has real sights better trigger and a better feel, and is actually very accurate. But the ruger has been more reliable. I just renewed my chl and during the course of fire had multiple failures to feed from the p238. I have not looked into the problem yet but have stopped carrying it for the time being. Also to the question of rust on the lcp. When I run or bike I carry the lcp in a 5-11 holster shirt and it gets very sweaty and I have no rust on mine it has held up great. I do keep it clean and oiled.

Check out the Sig P290RS. The previous version had some problems but they have taken care of the issues with the "RS" version.

That LC380 is just exactly the same size/weight as the LC9 with a smaller cartridge. Whats the point?

I have an LC9 that is a little large for pocket carry....I went looking for an LCP and all I could find was a well used range/demo piece.

I opted for a DB-9 for about the same money and size but in 9MM. The DB appears to be better built, Glockish design striker fired and far better trigger pull.

It cared\s well in a Uncles Georges Pocket wallet in either the Hip or front cargo pockets.

Most likely not going to be a fun range gun.

Karsten

The answer to the question "what's the best ______ gun?" Has multiple parts. The best gun is the one that A: goes bang every time you want it to. B: you can consistently and repeatedly hit a target quickly. C: is comfortable for you to carry. D: is comfortable for you to handle. No one can answer these questions for you. Try different ones.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Karsten</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have an LC9 that is a little large for pocket carry....I went looking for an LCP and all I could find was a well used range/demo piece.

I opted for a DB-9 for about the same money and size but in 9MM. The DB appears to be better built, Glockish design striker fired and far better trigger pull.

It cared\s well in a Uncles Georges Pocket wallet in either the Hip or front cargo pockets.

Karsten </div></div>

I got a DB9, the size, weight, feel, trigger pull, real sights and 9mm chambering seemed perfect to my wife and me, pretty much an impulse purchase, and like most I'm thinking I'll regret it. Didn't do the due research, went shooting, and it quit cycling properly in less than fifty rounds, turned out to be a recoil spring issue, it may be cured, but in the mean time I looked on line and almost every review is about broken parts and malfunctions.
The good things, easily keeps shots in a 4-5" group at 20yds, and I'm not the best with a pistol. The recoil is not nearly as fierce as the 12oz weight would lead you to believe, its very controlable, even for my wife who's quite averse to recoil.

I had a magnum research micro eagle and I guess for me it boiled down to this: its definitely better than nothing at all but probably not the "best" carry option. I guess when I say this I refer to all pocket sized pistols.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kennypowers</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anyone carry a Ruger LCR in 38 spl? Impressions? </div></div>

Excellent carry gun, expecially with a WRB pocket holster to break up the outline. You can easily forget you have it on you sometimes.

It is very easy to carry and fits any large pocket pretty well.
The trigger is quite good actually and it shoots rather accurately.

I would suggest however getting the LCR in .357 instead of .38 Special, because the .357 lets you shoot all 3 (.38 Special, .38 Special +P and .357 Magnum) and the trigger is just a bit nicer on the .357 than the .38 one (at least from the ones I've pulled).

For a range gun, I'd prefer something like the Ruger SP101, but for concealed carry the LCR is very nice.

One thing also nice is that if you load it up with a couple .357 magnum rounds you probably won't ever feel under gunned.

Ruger LCR over LCP hands down. I know for certain that the LCP likes to bleed people.

I was very impressed with the LCR, and would sure like to try the 357 as the 380 isn't something I consider too ofter unless handed to me to launch a few

teammate has a P238 and has been more than impressed.

Never warmed up to the LCP. They can be finicky and ammo sensitive.
I'll stick with an air-weight J Frame . Even in the heat of summer I can carry one in my front right pcoket and spare ammo in the other.

S&W 649 Chief Special with a Desantis pocket holster rides nice in the front jean pocket- very comfortable.

As long as there are 9 mm options for pocket carry, a .380 will never be the best option, in my opinion. For me, a gun has to be a viable option to carry based on performance first, and then I will worry about where I carry it, pocket, OWB, IWB, wherever.

The fact that the LCP is easy to tote means nothing to me as I don't consider a .380 as a gun I would carry for my personal defense.

That said, I have carried an LC9 in a Blackhawk #4 pocket holster every day for more than a year in my front pocket and it carries vey easily. It has the Galloway Precision trigger bar and is reliable, but I could live with the long pull of the factory trigger if I had to.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Simo Hayha</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Never warmed up to the LCP. They can be finicky and ammo sensitive.
I'll stick with an air-weight J Frame . Even in the heat of summer I can carry one in my front right pcoket and spare ammo in the other.</div></div>

I'm on the same page, I love my 38 and have no doubts that the 129gr Fed Hydrashock +P round will do the trick.

I have my doubts about the LCP, although for close in, it'd be fine but the 642 is confidence.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Beef</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Karsten</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have an LC9 that is a little large for pocket carry....I went looking for an LCP and all I could find was a well used range/demo piece.

Karsten </div></div>

I got a DB9, the size, weight, feel, trigger pull, real sights and 9mm chambering seemed perfect to my wife and me, pretty much an impulse purchase, and like most I'm thinking I'll regret it. Didn't do the due research, went shooting, and it quit cycling properly in less than fifty rounds, turned out to be a recoil spring issue, it may be cured, but in the mean time I looked on line and almost every review is about broken parts and malfunctions.
The good things, easily keeps shots in a 4-5" group at 20yds, and I'm not the best with a pistol. The recoil is not nearly as fierce as the 12oz weight would lead you to believe, its very controlable, even for my wife who's quite averse to recoil. </div></div>

Update on my DB-9. Read everything I could to make sure this little pistol was gonna run. Polished rails, removed any burrs. Ordered a Hogue Handall Jr, extra mags, trying to break in the Uncle Georges Pocket Holster....Heavy Duty leather and head to the range.

Rack to slide and smooth as glass, feed great. Pull the trigger and it goes bang....1 time and the trigger is broken.

Sending it back to DB but even after it is fixed I will never trust it as a CCW weapon.

Karsten