• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report Is my chronograph off?

supratt96

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 22, 2010
New Jersey, USA
I chrono'd my 6br at 2850 fps (which seemed a bit low for this load). This is using a 30", 8 twist savage factory barrel firing a load of 30.5gr of varget with a Berger 105 vld. I had my rifle zero'd for 100 yds but needed to change the zero for a 600yd match. I imputted the info into a rudamentary balistic calculator and it said I would need 13.25 moa elevation to get to 600yds. Actual elevation ended up being about 12 moa. When I backed that through the calculator, it said the velocity was more like 2950 fps (a little faster than what I would expect for this load).

Additionally, I was testing a .284 win load today of 54.5gr H-4831, 180gr berger vld, 28" Kreiger 8.5 twist and was only seeing 2737 fps. That's about 100 fps slower than I would have expected. I'm using a ProChrono. Is it possible it's reading about 100 fps slow?

Re: Is my chronograph off?

100fps isn't TOO much... Atmospheric conditions can affect it a lot. Usually hot temperatures increase velocity, sometimes to dangerous levels if you load and test max loads in winter and use them on a hot day later on. Some powders are better temp. stable than others too. KB's have happened this way with less stable powders and large temp. shifts combined with max loads (especially in .40 pistol, it is very sensitive to any changes in pressure).

Also if your barrel is hot, you could be firing what are essentially hotter loads if they sit in the chamber long enough to warm up.

Elevation and air pressure changes coupled with temperature changes can definitely affect it, as to how much, I'm not sure myself. I suppose you could work it out on paper, but I'm too lazy to do it now.

Distance to your chrono can cause variations in readings too. FBI sometimes uses a shield that prevents muzzle blast from affecting the data, basically a hole cut in wood in front of the chrono that lets the bullet through but not much blast. And it is possible your chrono is in fact off. You may could try changing batteries too if you think that may be an issue.

Also, how precise were your loads? It isn't uncommon to have some variance of tens of fps between loads, particularly with lesser components or components that haven't been weighed. Or rounds loaded on a progressive press. If consistency is key, It may behoove you to weigh each bullet and even brass, and separate them according to exact weights. Weigh each powder load, I use a digital dispenser and now and again check it against a blance beam. Takes time, but MMU does this, and I suspect the AMU does too. They claim superb results and consitency, and at the ranges you are speaking of, every little bit counts.

Hope this helps, it is what comes to mind immediately, I'm sure others will have some other good tips to chime in too. Great place about this site if you ask me.

PS, clean your chrono too, the IR sensors if you have them, whatever. Just wipe it down. Also note some chronos are VERY light sensitive, finicky to the nth degree, mine is, so keep that in mind. Also keep in mind the chrono measures the speed of the bullet and the programs measure the weight and volumetric data of the load plus other variables --it is a good estimate, but the chrono is the ultimate test, and barring problems with the tolerance of the chrono, I'd take the chrono's word over a ballistic program anyday.

Good luck, safe shooting!

I had same problems with my Pro Chrono. Found out it was bad lighting that was causing different readings. Too early or late in the evening would show slower speeds. The Pro chrony work best between 10 am - 2pm for consistent readings.

My 243 win 105 vld with H1000 was give me 2900 avg in the early or evenings, was not matching my dope. So I retested twice in afternoon and Chrony was giving me 2995 avg witch ended up working perfect with my drop chart, go figure. Something to do with bad lighting.

I've been wondering if my ProChrono has been lying to me as well. A few weeks ago I was looking for 2700fps out of the 175 SMK and was shocked to find that it took all the way up to 45.8gr of RL-15 to get there.

Rem 700 SPS-V 26" 1:12
Winchester brand 308 brass 6x-fired
2.845 COAL, 2.265" ogive
F210M
2693, 2688, 2704 fps
80 deg F, 1650ft elevation

The first few pages of the Reloading Depot show people hitting 2650-2750fps from 42.8 - 43.5gr of RL-15. The folks over at 6mmBR have this load as well: Alliant Reloader 15 45.0 F210m 175 SMK Win 2750 fps.

Granted, a lot of these are apples to oranges comparisons due to differences in brass headstamps, primers, etc, but I'm definitely in agreement this model of chrono may be reporting low numbers.

Anyone else notice their Competition Electronics ProChrono giving low velocity numbers?

Yes, pro chronos suck. I don't trust any chrono that aint a dopler radar model. Shoot at distance and prove your load and press on

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: adam3999</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've been wondering if my ProChrono has been lying to me as well. A few weeks ago I was looking for 2700fps out of the 175 SMK and was shocked to find that it took all the way up to 45.8gr of RL-15 to get there.

Rem 700 SPS-V 26" 1:12
Winchester brand 308 brass 6x-fired
2.845 COAL, 2.265" ogive
F210M
2693, 2688, 2704 fps
80 deg F, 1650ft elevation

The first few pages of the Reloading Depot show people hitting 2650-2750fps from 42.8 - 43.5gr of RL-15. The folks over at 6mmBR have this load as well: Alliant Reloader 15 45.0 F210m 175 SMK Win 2750 fps.

Granted, a lot of these are apples to oranges comparisons due to differences in brass headstamps, primers, etc, but I'm definitely in agreement this model of chrono may be reporting low numbers. </div></div> 43.5gr gets me to 2720fps.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Killswitch engage</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yes, pro chronos suck. I don't trust any chrono that aint a dopler radar model. Shoot at distance and prove your load and press on </div></div>

This.

Not just pro chronos. Just about any chrono!

My 28.25" 284, with 54gr H4831sc under a 175smk (7mm) takes 2.9mrad from 200-600 yards. That oughtta be ~2850fps.

My CED M2 clocked them at 2705 the other afternoon at about 6:30PM. Sun was getting low in the sky, directly at my back.

the more i use a chrono the more i find that they have serious limitations

They are great for load development. There is no replacement for shooting distances to get your real world dope.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TackDriver13</div><div class="ubbcode-body">the more i use a chrono the more i find that they have serious limitations </div></div>

Amen. And I've had several different brands. If you read the fine print in the manuals, it's amazing they work at all. All the while knowing it was the manufacturer that wrote the fine print.