• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Is my powder still good/safe?

Farmboy05

Private
Minuteman
Jul 13, 2009
JBER, AK
I purchashed my first reloading equipment a few years ago and packed away all the powder that was with it because I thought it was old. Things being how they are I thought I could find a use for it. I found 24 pounds of IMR4895, 16 pounds of 4831, and various other powders in new sealed containers. The catch is the powder is dated anywhere from 1974-1990. Is it safe? Is it still worth something to sell?

Thanks
John

Re: Is my powder still good/safe?

yes and yes, If anything it just isn't as effective. But I would bet not by much. I would think that as long as the powder never got wet and is still sealed, you should be good.

But I am far from an expert on powder.

Do you know how it's been stored? Is it discolored or does it stink? If not, it's probably ok.

Unless your power has a bad smell to it. or check to see if it has started to break down which in some ways looks like rust, not sure how to explain it, it should be good. I just used up the last of 8 pound keg of Herco from the early 60's no problem, and it was left in the garage all those years.

you got WAY TOO MUCH powder.....in some areas of the country you would be considered a terrorist....so....send to me BOLTRIPPER half of you stash.....and i'll make sure to properly re-cycle the stuff

"I found 24 pounds of IMR4895, 16 pounds of 4831, and various other powders in new sealed containers. The catch is the powder is dated anywhere from 1974-1990. Is it safe? Is it still worth something to sell?"

Unless it's been exposed to excessive heat for much of that time, it's as good as new.

Just be careful when you open it.

The fumes with rusty-powder deterioration are very toxic.

Sealed, not exposed to too much heat, usually means it will be okay. The stick powders are a bit harder to "stabilize" chemically, and depletion of a certain chemical in the mix will lead to breakdown. It's rare--I've heard only one firsthand account of it happening, and sadly, it was an 8-lb keg.

Pour a bit out and if it looks okay, THEN sniff. Acetone, alcohol, or "Elmers' glue" type smells are normal and good--the smells like, like freedom!

Good information above. Most importantly though, when you load it up, take the charge weight up gradually from a good LOW charge weight. Normally when powder deteriorates, it becomes less energetic. However, despite it being less energetic, it could also change burn rate. The burn rate change can come about thru various methods, but regardless: Start LOW and work up SLOW!

Do the "smell" test. Open a can and see if it smells like solvents. If it does it's OK. If it smells like soured buttermilk, spread it on your lawn durring a rain.

Thanks, hopefully it's still good. I hate to throw that much out!

I prefer to dispose of unusable powder by making fountains. Mix various fuels in and metal filings and you can get some good effects.

As a nitrogen-source fertilizer, it's just stinkin' EXPENSIVE.

I'm still loading out of a surplus Hodgdons 4831 #100 keg I bought in the early 70's and it had been sitting for some years then. I believe it was probably left over WW II powder. Last time I did any comparisons it outshot the IMR 4831in my 25-06. As stated above, if it doesn't look "rusty" and still smells of ether/acetone/solvent, work up your loads as is prudent with any powder, and rock on. OR send half to Boltripper and half to me. I'll even pay shipping to help a brother out.

I have used powder from the 7o's 700X and H1000 thats approx 20 years old work great. I like the comment smells like freedom