• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Is my scope broken or am I an idiot?

tacticalpanda

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 26, 2013
Columbus, OH
So I just bought my first scope. Arrived today. Promptly opened the box checked it out and it looked good. I ordered a Weaver 5-15x illuminated tactical scope. Got an awesome deal on it (but maybe not) so I decided to go with this one over the other I was considering. So I went out and bought some CR2032 batteries to test out the illumination. Put the battery in + side up and screwed the cap on. When I turn the turret to turn on the illumination nothing happens.

Is my scope broken? Or am I an idiot and not doing something right? Or both, my scope is broken and I'm an idiot for buying a weaver?

Re: Is my scope broken or am I an idiot?

not sure on any of the questions, but you could always read the manual, contact weaver about warranty, or return it.

test the battery in something else. Another optic?
some garage door openers take that size.
flip it over?
smile.gif

Is the brightness adjustable?

Check the brightness on the max setting or in a dark room. Most of these scopes do not have daylight visible illumination, but they do have some very very low (ie. NV) settings.

Also, try a different battery.

Thanks, Have tried two batteries. Have taken it in a dark room and still nothing. The knob just turns and turns. It has not stops and can go in either direction. Now the question is do I want to do a warranty with the scope?

Does Weaver only accept authorized dealers for warranty work? Has anyone dealt with Weaver or know if they are easy or hard to deal with. A little bumbed that my first purchase came in broken.

I've not dealt with Weaver, but I would say give the Weaver customer service a call and see what they say. If it's a new scope it should work.

My bet is you're doing something wrong. Do you have the instructions? Are you sure the battery polarity is right? Are you sure the cap for the battery is fully tightened? Not sure about weaver, but my vortex needed the cap tightened so tight you almost needed pliers.

I would try flipping the battery as was mentioned. Also try and find instructions. Assuming this is a new scope I am guessing the problem is something you are doing not something wrong with the scope. If you bought it used from someone then try contacting them.

Bought new. Tried two different batteries. Already tightened with a quarter. Already read through the manual. Still nothing. Going to give them a call today and see what they say.

Is there a label to tell you which way the positive should go? If nothing else hopefully they will warranty it and hook you up with a new one.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tacticalpanda</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So I just bought my first scope. Arrived today. Promptly opened the box checked it out and it looked good. I ordered a Weaver 5-15x illuminated tactical scope. Got an awesome deal on it (but maybe not) so I decided to go with this one over the other I was considering. So I went out and bought some CR2032 batteries to test out the illumination. Put the battery in + side up and screwed the cap on. When I turn the turret to turn on the illumination nothing happens.

Is my scope broken? Or am I an idiot and not doing something right? Or both, my scope is broken and I'm an idiot for buying a weaver? </div></div>

Do you mean 3-15?

Does your setup look like this?
If not, is where you place the battery on the ocular (eye piece) instead?

bb0cca7193ede4656f1ff4e3090b7313_zpsfe66522b.jpg

When you turn the illumination dial are there detents at each setting that you can feel? If its just moving smooth, you may be grabbing the side parallax...

Also, if the above picture is not you scope, did you place the battery under the same adjustment that controls illumination? I think there are storage compartments in tops of turrets that are designed to hold additional batteries (same coin style as illumination.

If you're positive it's in the right spot check the contact areas for the battery compartment to make sure nothing came loose. Last year I was in a similar boat and noticed that a very small piece of metal was missing that connected to the main contact that connected elsewhere... It was a triangle piece about the size of the President's ear on a dime, took me a little bit to discover. It was the same coin style battery, but on a different type of sight. There was no fix to the situation except to send back.

Thanks for that post bob. It is a 3-15. I can feel the clicks and am turning the outside knob.

Here is the scope. Looks the same as yours.
t98eno.jpg

If you look there is two black smudges on the parallax knob. Almost looks like it shorted out at one point. On the 150-200 then another one similar on the 50.
1dj4k.jpg

Here is the battery compartment. Don't know if anything is missing
2r7u8f7.jpg

I think it is going to go back. The company buys old store stock from out of business companies. I like the scope. But I think I am going to pay the $100 more for a Bushnell Elite 3-12.

ok, without sounding harsh here (please forgive me thats not how i am wanting to come across) but how important is illumination to you? i understand when you purchase an item, you want everything to work (i do too) but you mentioned that you do like the scope so instead of returning it or trying to warranty it out, is it worth the time/hassle? your opinion might be yes and thats completely cool. for me, illumination is not really a big deal unless it is in the form of a red dot (where there are no set crosshairs).

I'd be curious to hear how quick the warranty is and if it would cost you anything. To be honest this is one of the reasons why I buy only Vortex scopes now.

The battery compartment seems to be missing a contact... I doubt they would entrust electrical contact to a screw head.

I would have the retailer replace it.
Since it happened brand new out of the box is not a warranty issue but a CS issue for the retailer.

Joe

I just can't keep it if it is broken. I would rather pay more to get it perfect than to keep it knowing something is wrong, and not knowing the extent to the problem.

I am going to call both places today and see what they say. Is weaver will replace it I will keep it. If the company can replace it I will keep it. Now I am back to where I was last week. Can't decide between Vortex PST, Weaver, or Bushnell tactical elite.

So just an update. Was thinking this morning about this more. I am going to return it. Just called and was super easy and they refunded my shipping from and to them as well. My reason for returning is well tax season is right around the corner and I'm hoping I'm getting a bid refund which will give me the ability to buy a better scope and just do it right from the start. Plus I won't be shooting outdoors until late March April.

Thanks to all who responded. New here but already really loving this site.

I have the same scope, but mine came with the battery from Weaver.
I also got a great deal on mine when Weaver first introduced them and had the price knocked down to get their name in the market.

That said, I really like my scope. Darn near bullet proof. The only thing it does not have that I wanted, was zero stop. But, I can live without that.

As for illumination, this rifle also doubled as a hunting rifle this past season. I DID use illumination a couple of times when I was set up and the deer were in the edge of the woods.