• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Is Primer Pocket Cleaning a MUST???

Sniper Uncle

Patriot Marksman Trainee
Minuteman
I read this morning in another thread, there is at least one person who feels that primer pocket cleaning is extraneous. He claims 1/2 MOA accuracy without cleaning primer pockets, and suggests trying it. I like this idea, as primer pocket cleaning for me is a pain.
Are there others out there who have evidence to support this? Is there any one who can give good reason why cleaning pockets is a MUST?

Thanks for the opinions,
Tim

Its not necessary. But if you are concerned about it, it is a freebie with stainless tumbling

I only clean mine about every 3rd firing as I pretty much despise any type of case prep. Almost despise reloading in general but its just one of those things I have to do in order to shoot as much as I do without breaking the bank. I haven't noticed any difference in a clean pocket vs a dirty one.

...there is at least one person who feels that primer pocket cleaning is extraneous. He claims 1/2 MOA accuracy without cleaning primer pockets, and suggests trying it.

Make that "at least two people." I get half minute, and I don't clean the primer pocket.

That said, I'm still working my way thru a supply of brass, and I'm only on my second firing of each case. Maybe as I get more rounds on each case, I'll need to clean the pocket.

I think it is way down the list, but I do do it on my precision rifle. I do it mainly because it is easy to do and does not take much time. I doubt it increases accuracy much though. I never do it on pistol.

A clean primer pocket and uniform flash hole help to ensure uniform combustion and powder burn from one round to the next. My ultrasonic cleaner does an excellent job cleaning the primer pockets so there is no additional workload for me to do it.

On my long range guns I do, probably because I have my trim mate right there and I vld chamfer each firing, so it's a quick step. I pocket uniform aftert he first firing, and the uniformer just cleans the soot out on sucsequent firings.
Now for pistol or .223 brass, no way, there's just too much if it to mess with, if you value your time compared to the benefits.

I honestly couldn't say if it helps, I started this way and keep to it. I'd hate to be on the range some day missing shots and have to question my ammo.

From a benchrest standpoint I think it's done because everyone else does it...to be competitive maybe?? From a sheer accuracy standpoint I doubt it makes a difference in a sniper competition...whether or not you clang the steel target at 900 meters wont rest on a clean or dirty primer pocket. Personnally, I do it because I dont want any more burned residue going down my barrel than is absolutley necessary in an effort to help make a known good barrel last as long as possible. This is why I clean cases with stainless media. It is never a given that a new barrel will shoot fantastic so if you have a good one you really want to keep it as long as you can. In a pistol, shotgun or factory rifle I shoot for fun I dont care...sometimes I clean them that way sometimes not. As to accuracy it is easily affected so clean pockets could be beneficial but probably not as important as having the flash hole deburred. If I had a choice between clean pockets with the usual burr vs. residue in the pocket with a deburred flash hole I'll keep the dirt and loose the burr.

A clean primer pocket and uniform flash hole help to ensure uniform combustion and powder burn from one round to the next.

Iamironman said:
Big waste of time IMO

Love these two responses...

I've personally tested this in my rifles, and I can't shoot the difference. I've gotten bugholes @ 200 yards with both clean and dirty primer pockets.

I've found when testing ammo and rifles, it is VERY important that shooter is "blind" to what he's currently testing. It is nearly impossible to truly divorce your subjectivity from the test.

Many shooters will swear a certain part of case-prep is crucial, and they've tested it and the tests indicate it is indeed an advantage. I'd ask them if they KNEW what ammo they were firing when they shot groups to determine a winner?

There is something that can be said for showing up on match day, FULLY CONFIDENT in your ammo. A confident shooter is a good shooter. However, if you secretly swapped his "fully prepped" ammo for ammo (same load) that had dirty primer pockets, he'd still shoot the same score.

When I first started reloading, I used to meticulously clean and uniform the primer pockets, then one time I got lazy and didn't do it for one firing, my loads shot the exact same, at least I couldn't shoot the difference. Ever since then, I haven't really cared about primer pockets, as far as I'm concerned, messing with the primer pockets doesn't add much to accuracy, but I guess peace of mind counts though.

Only do it when its extremely dirty with the build up. Even if all theories are true, I personally can't shoot the accuracy of those differences. 1~1.5MOA result out to 800 yards satisfies me.

Every third cycle for me, but if there's some crud in a flash hole, I'll knock it out with a toothpick.

You don't want to go 20 cycles w/o cleaning, as that will prohibit one from seating a primer below flush, but a single cycle, or three, won't add much build-up, unless you're shooting some 3rd world 'dirty whore' primer.

Chris

Last edited:
"Many shooters will swear a certain part of case-prep is crucial, and they've tested it and the tests indicate it is indeed an advantage. I'd ask them if they KNEW what ammo they were firing when they shot groups to determine a winner?"

If that certain part of case prep is annealing hard case necks and you shoot them over a chronograph I guarantee you will know the difference. Standard deviation and extreme spred are way less with properly annealed cases vs. hardened necks. Ammo that has concentric bullets and outside turned necks can be seen on paper most of the time if the shooter is any good.

"There is something that can be said for showing up on match day, FULLY CONFIDENT in your ammo. A confident shooter is a good shooter. However, if you secretly swapped his "fully prepped" ammo for ammo (same load) that had dirty primer pockets, he'd still shoot the same score."

Totally true if the only difference was in fact the primer pockets.

Thanks, Everyone. I was getting to the point where I was about to adopt a policy of only cleaning the pockets on my 338LM and my 30.06, the two rifles I am trying to shoot very well with. I just got 1500 spent cases Military 5.56, and dreaded the task of pocket cleaning.
I shall look into the SS Media route, but right now can't afford it, or rather, am concentrating my money elsewhere.
I'll adopt a policy for my pistol and 5.56 ammo to watch the primer pockets, and clean when I feel they are getting a little built up with crud.
Really appreciate the suggestions and opinions offered here.

When I take my cases out of my tumbler, I use compressed air to clear the flash holes. Normally, if the carbon in the primer pockets has built up, the compressed air will get underneath it and knock it loose. I haven't manually cleaned a primer pocket in a long time.

I clean every three loadings or so.. I just chuck up a primer cleaning brush in my drill, mount the drill to the table and lock it on, then I just run the butts of the cases into the spinning brush. About 1-2 seconds per case and the primer pockets are nice and clean.

I do the same process with the VLD trimmer head from the Lyman tool for the primer crimps and case mouths also. Works like a charm and takes very little time.

Big waste of time IMO

Probably, right up to the time you have enough crap built up to keep the primer from properly seating. Of course if you're lucky enough to get the anvil "feet" to seat in the same place every time, probably is a waste.

I just have a Redding primer pocket uniforming tool chucked in a cordless drill. Even though I uniformed the primer pockets before the first firing, a quick touch with the tool scrapes the crud out. Zip-Zap-Done. No big deal.

Maybe it isn't a factor in accuracy but could well be a reliability issue.

I have an article I cut from Handloader many years ago that does recommend cleaning the pockets when loading for semi-auto. Seems that the residue has the potential to leave the primer sufficiently proud of the pocket to allow it to fire when picked by the bolt. Slam fire.

Surely you know that if you don't perfectly clean all that massive crud outta the primer pockets your sling swivels will rust? :)

LMAO! That made my day.

I used to shoot IPSC back in the early 90's so I was reloading the same brass many many times. I never once had an issue with not being able to seat a primer.

It may not be helpful, but I clean 'em just to feel good.

Come to think of it, most pf us do things that just make us feel good.........

My Win94 shoots 1/2moa... just sayin'.

I don't doubt it. I was originally saying it that way, as I don't know what the ramifications of not cleaning pockets is on accuracy, so I worded it that way while I waited for the responses. It seems that pocket cleaning is really not that essential to decent accuracy, which is what I wanted to find out.
Nice rifle there, by the way....