• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report Is the .50 over-rated?

High Binder

Resident Tribologist
Minuteman
Jun 18, 2008
Occupied Colorado
So having recently been party to a Barret .50 transaction I got to wondering if the .50 is really 'all-that'. Everyone seems to think it's the end-all/be-all of calibers but is it really that much better than say a 338 or 375?

Thanks!

Re: Is the .50 over-rated?

No.

A 50 is an experience, but unless you are using it for HTI, there are better choices...the 2 you named for example.

The 338LM is a phenomenal cartidge and the 375 cheytac will thump a 50 ballistically.

the 50 is only "all that" when it is the only thing that will do the job...that said..in civilian life it is never all that. I have shot enough 50 to know that I will never need to do it again lol (and I have one)
I do however still enjoy shooting my 375LM but for everything out to and including 1k I hardly every shoot anything other that my 243
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gugubica</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No.

A 50 is an experience, but unless you are using it for HTI, there are better choices...the 2 you named for example.

The 338LM is a phenomenal cartidge and the 375 cheytac will thump a 50 ballistically. </div></div>

HTI?

OK. that's what I was thinking. Thanks gugubica!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dksd39</div><div class="ubbcode-body">the 50 is only "all that" when it is the only thing that will do the job...that said..in civilian life it is never all that. I have shot enough 50 to know that I will never need to do it again lol (and I have one)
I do however still enjoy shooting my 375LM but for everything out to and including 1k I hardly every shoot anything other that my 243
smile.gif
</div></div>

I have done a little .50 work but didn't really think that much of it. 243 is a great round!

I agree with the above. Unless you're wanting to punch through armor, the .338LM variety cartridges will perform better with less cost and lower recoil...

The 50 existed already and Barret used a US Military chambering to achieve his goal. (Smart Move).

I doubt that the 50BMG would have been chosen if the US military decided to undertake this project on its own.

I agree that the 338 Lapua is the best chambering currently used by a large military power for LOng Range work.

All that being said: Fifty's are KEWL!

50BMG is great. If you have a rifle that kicks excessively, you dont have the right brake. I have several and they kick similar to a 12 gauge shotgun.

I dont see any great savings in ammo costs comparing .338 Lapua to 50 BMG either. 50 is $4 per, 338 is going for $5.70 each.

Another plus side of 50, there are lots of options in ammo that you wont find in .338 Lapua or 30-378 Weatherby. APIT is just one of them. Blue tip incendiary is another nice bonus. Variety - the spice of life!

I had a M82 for a few years and I must say, the power and energy is amazing. Other cartridges will smoke it ballistically with Projos nearly half the size. I had mine when I could buy .50 ammo for less than a buck a round. It was certainly a lot of fun, my buddies and I would shoot things like steel plates, concrete block, 5 gallon buckets filled with water just to watch it knock the piss out of it. I certainly think it has its place as a Anti-Material device, but not much for shooting paper targets or people. Mine proved to be the most accurate with Military linked ammo from the 70's for I bought for 80 cents around. --

The M82A1 isnt a very accurate rifle due to the recoiling barrel. There are plenty that are quite accurate and do very well on paper. Im pretty sure they would do quite a number on people as well. It will put a hiccup in their day anyways. I have wanted for quite some time to take one pig hunting. Perhaps I will soon.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Searcher</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The M82A1 isnt a very accurate rifle </div></div>

HA that's the one my buddy just picked up. Doh! The barrel is on some sort of weird spring system right? Is that what makes it inaccurate?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Searcher</div><div class="ubbcode-body">50BMG is great. If you have a rifle that kicks excessively, you dont have the right brake. I have several and they kick similar to a 12 gauge shotgun.
</div></div>

The ones I've shot have given me what I can only describe as a push and not so much a kick, got a wicked skinned up eight elbow from it. Does that sound right?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: High Binder</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Searcher</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The M82A1 isnt a very accurate rifle </div></div>

HA that's the one my buddy just picked up. Doh! The barrel is on some sort of weird spring system right? Is that what makes it inaccurate? </div></div>

Correct, the barrel is not rigidly connected to the receiver. It is held by a big spring and is allowed movement. Its typically good for 2 MOA, which works for its intended purposes.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: High Binder</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Searcher</div><div class="ubbcode-body">50BMG is great. If you have a rifle that kicks excessively, you dont have the right brake. I have several and they kick similar to a 12 gauge shotgun.
</div></div>

The ones I've shot have given me what I can only describe as a push and not so much a kick, got a wicked skinned up eight elbow from it. Does that sound right? </div></div>

Yes, thats my take on it. A big push, shotgun style. I find it pleasant.

The 50, as others have said is an anti-material rifle. It's fun to see what it does to things (completely fuck them up). Rafus rounds are where it's at, they will fuck up a vehicle second only to the Mk 19...

Other than that, if you shoot too many rounds in one session, you get a headache (at least I did, north of 100 rounds), though it is cool to feel like you are setting off a stick of dynamite..
smile.gif

Key is to keep it clean of debris where the front of the barrel locks up in the upper receiver. Muzzle brake blows dirt everywhere so it is very susceptible to debris. Mine shot about 1moa with the military ammo I spoke about above. Most ammo I tried shot closer to 2moa. If I ever buy another one I will buy the CQ model.

Yes, it's overrated unless you're 'disabling' truck engines, etc. @ <800yds. If you're doing precision rifle work that is not anti-materiel, there are better rounds.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: High Binder</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So having recently been party to a Barret .50 transaction I got to wondering if the .50 is really 'all-that'. Everyone seems to think it's the end-all/be-all of calibers but is it really that much better than say a 338 or 375?

Thanks!
</div></div>

IMHO the 338LM is the over rated one. The .50BMG is an OLD WORK HORSE but it works! this is like comparing the OLD vs THE NEW like a .308 vs. a 6.5 Creedmoor, there's always the +s and -s. The .50BMG has been around for almost 100yrs and is now so underrated, I believe it deserves the credit that it truely deserves and it's been long over due!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dksd39</div><div class="ubbcode-body">the 50 is only "all that" when it is the only thing that will do the job...</div></div>

Exactly.

Sometimes you need to hit something hard with a RDX/A4 explosive payload from over a mile away. The .50 BMG does this pretty well.

There are not a whole lot of other man-portable options that can accomplish the task unless you have artillery on tap.

If you are ringing steel or punching paper, then there are better cartridges for the task. Even if you are just putting holes in meat, there are still better.

My limited understanding on the .50 is that it is the smallest (or was the smallest) round that can carry a payload.

So when “that” is what you need to do, there are limited options.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chiller</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My limited understanding on the .50 is that it is the smallest (or was the smallest) round that can carry a payload. </div></div>

I believe Russian 54R may be the smallest. I've shot most every special issued for it over the years, an can say the explosive tips work very well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gunfighter14e2</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chiller</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My limited understanding on the .50 is that it is the smallest (or was the smallest) round that can carry a payload. </div></div>

I believe Russian 54R may be the smallest. I've shot most every special issued for it over the years, an can say the explosive tips work very well. </div></div>

Apologies.
I was primarily thinking US/NATO calibers.

In my experience, the money needed to be invested in a GOOD rifle and optics, it aint all that. You need to talk a buddy into buying one so you can play/experience it, but not have to do much else except pitch in some $ for supplies/ammo.

Very subjective subject-
Some would opine all the uber calibers are overrated with far more rifles in the .338L, .375, .418, 12.7mm get past around on the second hand market than in any sort of routine use.

But its not about utility or need. As often is the case when posing the rating question, it isnt the utility or rating that drives a purchase,

Like a young woman or a fast car its all about

desire.

Pick your poison and drink it down. Cheytac is sexy, lapua a tad bit easier to cart around...

But drag a 50 to the line and watch old fat men turn 15 again. Or bitch, packup and leave complaining about the noise.

If I was to own one it would be the 50. I've shot enough to know with Amax rounds they are 1moa. And when the zombies attempt to drive their southern engineered armored truck through my mountain fortress's gates I want to pop through their armor like a knife through warm butter.

Dont need 1moa for that.

API, AP, Ball, Tracer,blue tip (incindiary), spotter tracer (800grn dual tracer projectile), Lapua, Amax, Barnes ammo among a few.

SLAP, SLAP-T can be used if you take about .001 off the chanber in order to allow the sabot to seat if I remember correctly (don't quote me on it).

The fifty is a lot of fun!

Civilian shooting? Overated. Military - Anti-material and anti-personal, shooting through concrete blocks, etc., with a devestating choice of ammo options? Nothing stacks up to the .50!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: notquiteright</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Very subjective subject-
Some would opine all the uber calibers are overrated with far more rifles in the .338L, .375, .418, 12.7mm get past around on the second hand market than in any sort of routine use.

But its not about utility or need. As often is the case when posing the rating question, it isnt the utility or rating that drives a purchase,

Like a young woman or a fast car its all about

desire.

Pick your poison and drink it down. Cheytac is sexy, lapua a tad bit easier to cart around...

But drag a 50 to the line and watch old fat men turn 15 again. Or bitch, packup and leave complaining about the noise.

If I was to own one it would be the 50. I've shot enough to know with Amax rounds they are 1moa. And when the zombies attempt to drive their southern engineered armored truck through my mountain fortress's gates I want to pop through their armor like a knife through warm butter.

Dont need 1moa for that.</div></div>

Kinda' neat to hit a 10 pound plate and watch it go flying. Can't do that with a .308
As said before I usually don't get a second look shooting anything I have but when I pull the Windrunner out people want to shoot it. When I get down by the border I always get the BP guys down and let them have a pull or two. Good PR.

like others have said the 50 may be the most versatile but not the best suited for each purpose, as far as carrying a load doesn't Geneva limit cannon to 20mm + up (for war) so not much development has been done for small arms

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: George63</div><div class="ubbcode-body">like others have said the 50 may be the most versatile but not the best suited for each purpose, as far as carrying a load doesn't Geneva limit cannon to 20mm + up (for war) so not much development has been done for small arms </div></div>

The Geneva Conventions address the treatment of the victims of war, and include POW's. You're probably thinking of the Hague Conferences which address the laws of warfare. There was a Geneva Protocol to Hague, but it dealt specifically with chem agents.

The only reference to cannons per se was the St. Petersburg Declaration of 1868, which proscribed the use of explosive projectiles weighing less than 400 grams (about 6200 grains). The US was not a signatory to that as we were not considered a major power.

Overrated? ... Personally, it takes a rather snobbish attitude to overlook a vintage caliber known to blow shit apart and thump like no other.

Personally I don't care if I'm shooting a .22 LR or a .50 BMG, it's all fun and games.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: George63</div><div class="ubbcode-body">like others have said the 50 may be the most versatile but not the best suited for each purpose, as far as carrying a load doesn't Geneva limit cannon to 20mm + up (for war) so not much development has been done for small arms </div></div>

No, I could shoot a TOW missile at someone if I needed to!

I do not think it is over rated. Everything costs. For pure raw horse power you pay for it in cars and rifles. The 50 hits very hard. Back when I had one hitting a deer, antelope or anything else really put the hurt locker on them. It ever blew them into two pieces or anything like that. For a few years I shot a 338LM until my brother took it over and now I shoot a 300WM. ( I want a left handed 338LM.) The average long range shooter and hunter the smaller stuff is easier all the way around. That is on the pocketbook and weight. I was acting as a spotter for a relative who has a 50BMG and I watched him put a A-Max on an Elk at just over 1,200 or 1,300 I do not quite remember now. That Elk jumped one time and that was it. Having a bigger round does not allow a person to just take slop shots but a little slop is allowed.