• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Is the Armalite Super SASS worth $1K more than the DPMS SASS?

drum13

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 30, 2012
Been shopping for an ar10 and like the SASS models. I don't need the whole quad rail hand guard but they happen to be on the guns already.

There are a few DPMS SASS models available right now. I REALLY like the Armalite SuperSASS but it is $1,000 more. Is it worth it??

Never shot the Armalite but had a DPMS SASS before but had to sell it off to pay some bills. It was one of the most accurate guns I ever ownerd.

The DPMS comes with a Harris BRS, a sling, swivels and front/rear sights. The Armalight comes with nada.

The Armalite would be at the absolute top of my budget, so definitely can't consider LaRue, JP, GAP, etc......

Thanks for your thoughts.

The DPMS SASS is a better value.

If you don't need the quad rail handguard etc then get the target armalite model. It has a lightweight freefloat tube with holes towards the end which allow you to mount a bipod. They are decent shooters and considerably less in price than SASS model.

I have a DPMS SASS, and a GAP "Armalite". I Like the GAP, cause, hell, it's a GAP, BUT I have to say that the DPMS "shoots" very nicely, and the Mags are "easier to deal with". I would say that the GAP, is more "tempermental", but so are Ferraris. That said, my "Buddies" always grab the DPMS. Cost? DPMS, hands down. Having the Finer things, in life, is nice, and goes to the GAP. I'd say you'd be very happy with the SASS. I really like mine. BCP, has a good point. You can get a gun, like he describes, for cheaper, and it can be just as accurate, and use the "savings", for some better glass. Same goes for the DPMS. Put a good barrel on her, and you're good to go. I bought the SASS, because it "fell into my lap". These days, it may come down to how long ya want to wait.

Last edited:
The AR-10T is one of the single best-buys in the industry for a large-frame AR...PERIOD!!

With the 10T, you give up the threaded barrel, gas system upgrades, and railed handguard, but you get the same rifle underneath all that. Additionally, with the 10T handguard, you can add accessory rails as you like in any of the "slots"/vents in the handguard so that you can add rail-mounted bipods (like the Atlas), lights, NVDs, etc. The AR-10 Nat'l Match is also a good compromise between the 10T and the SSASS that can be had for around the $2k mark with the 10 twist, threaded bbl, DD 7.62 handguard, etc. Having shot the hell out of a couple Armalite SSASS, I personally wouldn't pay the premium for it versus MANY other large-frame ARs, including the above options from Armalite, as well as the DPMS SASS.

I own an Armalite AR 10 A4 with a PRS stock and a NF 5.5-22X50 scope and a DPMS SASS. The Sass has the same scope and is more accurate than the Armalite. IMO the DPMS SASS is a lot or rifle for the money. It also shoots better than my LMT MWS and SIG 716.

Wow guys, thanks for all this great info.
I did eye an ar10t but they're somewhat hard to come by, for me. Ill keep looking.
DPMS gets such a bad rap. Guys say they're cheaply made, etc. thought Id look at something different this time around.
An extra $1K saved would help buy glass and ammo…

I agree with samnev and ORD, the DPMS gives you all the things that you need already with enough left over for good quality optics to maximize accuracy. The one that I owned was a consistent .50-.75 moa shooter with the right ammo. Best of all it's available now, don't wait too long or you may miss out.

Go for the AR10T and make it the way you want it. The SASS models have to much foo foo add ons not worth the price, and you are paying for something that you might not like every single add on.

Wow guys, thanks for all this great info.
I did eye an ar10t but they're somewhat hard to come by, for me. Ill keep looking.
DPMS gets such a bad rap. Guys say they're cheaply made, etc. thought Id look at something different this time around.
An extra $1K saved would help buy glass and ammo…

I do not know about other DPMS rifles but the fit and finish of my SASS is IMO equal to or better than AR platform I own which runs from Noveske's, Colt, LMT, POF, SIG and FN.

The only reason I sold my DPMS SASS was to fund a custom bolt build. I would buy one again if I did not have other 308 semi's to play with. The SASS is a top quality rifle despite what some seem to think namely those who have not or cannot shoot one.

My DPMS SASS is a lights out shooter. Only complaint is it's still kinda heavy for an 18 in barrel gun.

If you are considering any Armalite models other than the SASS, you should take into consideration that as of now, only the SASS and the basic carbine takes P Mags. Some major differences between the DPMS and Armalite is that Armalite has adjustable gas and uses a 20" barrel. DPMS does'nt have the adjustable option and uses an 18" barrel. Personally, I like Armalite products, but for the price point, I feel there are better options than the SASS.

Bummer the AR10 T doesn't accept Pmags. I would consider one but would like the option to use Pmags.

What could you suggest that is comparable to the DPMS SASS in accuracy and features for $2K or less?

Last edited:
I would go for the AR10(T), and have had mine for 4 years or so. I like Armalite products quite a bit, and finally found (after searching at shows for more than 2 years) the 10's little brother 2 days ago; the M15A4(T). So I grabbed it! I have added a few rails to the 10 (will now do the same for the 15), in order to accomodate a bipod mount and the LaRue Troy sight set. I just like everything about it: clean lines, few gadgets, great trigger, the way it handles, the way it shoulders, etc. Now when I move to a "free" state in a couple of years I will certainly grab a pair of LaRue OBRs, but for now the Armalites are my choice.

OP,

If you shoot from the left shoulder or think that you may have a scenario where you will need to shoot from the left shoulder in prone position using iron sight set, the DPMS's integrated forward assist/shell deflector will allow for close eye relief without possible injury to mouth, lips, or teeth from having the forward assist hit your face under recoil, as would be the case shooting a .308 AR where the forward assist is in the same vicinity as it is found on an AR 15 type upper. Some Armalite rifles, and even the new Smith & Wesson .308 rifle, are examples of this thoughtless engineering. The S & W rifle disappoints since it appears to be marketed as ambidextrous.

Last edited:
I never noticed the forward assist was like that on Armalites ! Thanks for pointing that out. Looks like that f/a button would punch me right in my big nose when I shoot lefty.

Not a fan of the new S&W AR's myself.

I never noticed the forward assist was like that on Armalites ! Thanks for pointing that out. Looks like that f/a button would punch me right in my big nose when I shoot lefty.

Not a fan of the new S&W AR's myself.

Well, not the nose but the upper lip for sure. I like to get real close to the rear sight when shooting in NRA LR Service Rifle Division; and, even when shooting the AR-15 type in stated scenario I will usually come off the firing line with a bleeding lip. I've even thought about building an LR Service Rifle using a receiver which has no forward assist, if I could find one in an A2 configuration. At any rate, I think some AR marketers don't actually market for any but the novice shooter and they will give such a shooter anything he wants, even when what he wants is a fantasy.

Last edited:
I bought an Armalite SuperSASS about 3 years ago, very accurate, like it a lot. My favorite .308 AR. Sub-MOA with FGMM, about 2/3 MOA with my handloads. The switchable gas block is nice because I live in a ban state right now and shoot unsuppressed most of the time, but visit my suppressors in a free state pretty frequently. Cons: it's heavy, the quad rail is unused acreage, and I'm kind of nonplussed by the PRS stock. I have another precision Armalite AR10 with a UBR stock that just feels better.

Armalite has a substantial .mil discount. I have several of their rifles and have another on backorder, so I guess you could say I'm a fan.

No experience with DPMS.

I didn't realize they offered that discount.... I'll look into that.
Don't think they have anything in stock right now though.

Great info from everyone, thanks for all your opinions. A local shop has 2 DPMS SASS available and I've been going back and forth on it. After all of your input (and especially with it coming the same day I'm looking) I think you've helped me make up my mind.

I'm still looking ! Haha.
Can't find any AR10T's.

the one AR10 National Match I could find is priced at a few hundred less than the Super SASS's so I'd just get the SSass.

Never heard back from Armalite regarding the LE/Mil discount.
Meanwhile all the DPMS SASS's are getting bought up.

Was thinking about cheaping out and getting an LR-308 but want 7.62 chambering and would have to spend to upgrade the trigger, at least.

Got any opinions?

I am an Armalite fanboi. Complete Rifles from Armalite are a good deal. I picked up my SASS for $2300 about 5 years ago. Even at the current price of $2700 it is not a bad price considering the cost of putting a comparable rifle together will run you at least that much.

The Armalite SASS has a nice barrel, a decent trigger, and comes with adjustable gas block. Armalite AR10 upper to lower fit is tight! none is tighter. The FF rails are heavy, but for a precision prone shooter, heavy is your friend. With any precision rifle, it all starts with the barrel, and the SASS has a very nice barrel. I replaced my SASS barrel with a Noveske (SASS is now a spare) and the Noveske does no better than the SASS. The Armalite match trigger is decent for a stock trigger, but I have since replaced this trigger with a Geissele (the best! life is too short to use crappy triggers).

Another nice thing about Armalite AR10s is the high quality BCG and bolt. I have no need to use SR-25 mags because to me the Armalite "AR10B" mags are the best out there. If you want to use SR-25 mags, you will need a new lower and upper (because the angles are different), however you can still use Armalite BCG's. You just have to make sure your barrel has an Armalite Barrel Extension on it (to match the bolt).

My 2 Armalite AR10s are the older ones (no forward assist and uses the non-SR25 pattern mags), but I would not trade them for anything. One is my 20" SASS with NightForce NXS and Noveske Barrel. The other is a 16" with ACOG TA11 and Rainers/Schillen ultra match barrel.

IMG_2010-vi.jpg

Just to throw my two cents in, I was not impressed with the fit/finish of the DPMS SASS. It was an accurate rifle, but I liked the look and feel of my Armalites a lot more. Just to throw it out there, the nicest AR308 platform rifle I ever had (even over my very expensive MA-TEN/Noveske build) was my POF-308. Everything about it felt premium to me, from the NP3 bolt and how buttery smooth it was to the very nice finish of the barrel and receiver set.

why not a sig 715? about 2k and takes pmags
and most of all its a SIG!!

Well I just got a good deal on a new DPMS SASS.

Really wanted to try an Armalite Super Sass but not in my budget and the AR10T's are just not available.

Figured the DPMS SASS is a good deal at the price. It comes from the factory with a semi-decent trigger (JP), Harris BRS bipod and bipod rail mount, PRS stock, magpul BU sights, cheap sling, and rail covers/grips, and it can take P-Mags.... so for me it's a good package and I know they can shoot.

Someday maybe I'll afford that Armalite !!! and that Premier scope I've always dreamed of.

I do like the SIG's. I love (and own several) their handguns especially. But I just wanted a long range precision AR in 7.62. The SIGs seem to be more suited to "all purpose" use.

I bet you'll like the DPMS, seems like most that own them do. To me. Armalite is the best quality AR that I can afford so thats what I own and thier all great rifles. I have an AR10A2 with ss med. weight 20" match barrel, NM sights and RR single stage match trigger. It makes me think sometimes I'm better than I am, very confidense inspireing. I've had a 24" AR10T for about 10 yrs now. Its got about 3K rnds threw it and will still easily shoot sub moa and is as tight as the day I bought it, all three of my Armalites are like that and I shoot them. Niether of my AR10s have a foward assist and have never, not once, needed one. Its easy to find used ones that dont have it, I promise you that you wont miss it on an AR10. I would think if you had trouble with getting your lip into the forward assist, you would also be getting into the charging handle with some part of your face. It is right above the forward assist on my M15T but maybe its different on the AR10, like I said, mine dont have them. I cut slots in M14 mags and both will run them with aplumb with nothing but an initial adj. of the feed lips on a few but I rarely run anything but 10rnd Armalite mags through the T. The last M14 mags I bought were unissued at $6 apiece I think but that was several years ago. Armalite used to put thier factory mags on sale for $150 for five every now and then, dont know if they still do, got all them i want. I've just never understood the problems people have with AR10 mags. Maybe I've just been lucky for 10+ yrs with 2 rifles. ;) The big ARs are a kick in the ass, have fun with the DPMS.

okie

Last edited:
I just bought my AR-10 SASS and the 10 B uses the metal Armalite mags the 10 A uses P-Mags. The 10 A models are shipped with a P-Mag. I have owned both DPMS and two of my friends do and have DPMS. My Armalite's Bolt and BCG is built like a tank and looks to have been thought through. The feed ramps are nice and clean unlike the DPMS I had, which had a few burrs. Now that being said, I have not had a chance to shoot my new SASS but the old DPMS I had was a shooter. So if the DPMS fits in your budget and the Armalite don't I wouldn't loose any sleep over it.

Thanks Doc. PM replied.
Just paid for the DPMS less than 24 hours ago.

I bought a DPMS SASS. Should hopefully have it in hand by late next week.
Thank you everyone for your input and advice. Greatly appreciated.
But I will definitely try Armalite for my next 7.62-AR !!

The DPMS SASS arrived Monday. I shot 40 rounds out of it. Exactly how I remembered it.

I took into work to show my buddy last night and he flipped out, loved it, and wanted to buy it off me.

I sold it to him because it just so happened an AR-10T that I originally wanted to buy was still available.

Just wanted to thank everyone again for their help on this. I'll be updating the thread again when the Armalite arrives..... can't wait!!!

The DPMS SASS arrived Monday. I shot 40 rounds out of it. Exactly how I remembered it.

I took into work to show my buddy last night and he flipped out, loved it, and wanted to buy it off me.

I sold it to him because it just so happened an AR-10T that I originally wanted to buy was still available.

Just wanted to thank everyone again for their help on this. I'll be updating the thread again when the Armalite arrives..... can't wait!!!

HA!!! Nothing wrong with either of those rifles, but at the end of the day, you managed to make not only yourself happy, but make a buddy's day too!! Good on ya!!!

Look forward to your thoughts on the 10T when she arrives. I have always been extremely well-served by Armalite's products over the years, including their 10T and 10TC models, so I think you'll be very pleased as they are great rifles right out of the box and can be easily outfitted in any number of different ways to fit your personal needs/wants.

Congrats again!

I bought a DPMS SASS. Should hopefully have it in hand by late next week.
Thank you everyone for your input and advice. Greatly appreciated.
But I will definitely try Armalite for my next 7.62-AR !!

Whenever you decide to try out an Armalite, be advised that they now make a version that takes PMAGs. That way, you can use the same PMAGs in both your current DPMS and your future Armalite.

AR10A SuperSASS 7.62 RIFLE