• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Is the Bushnell Elite ERS that much better than the DMR G2?

bronxmurdock1

Private
Minuteman
Jul 31, 2014
Colorado
The ERS carries a heavier price tag by about $500.00. For what? 10 mil turrets, and Zero Lock. However granted the DMR only has 5 mil turrets, it does seem to have settable turrets. So my question is if both scopes have the same guts, is the ERS worth the extra $500.00?
Your explanation is appreciated.

Last edited:
I like 10 mil turrets, its what I've had on every scope. Ironically I think a zero stop is more at home on a 5 mil turret scope than a 10 because your chances of getting lost on revolutions is greater. 10 mils will get you to 1000 with most calibers so you are almost always on the first revolution. With a 5 mil turret your potential to get lost is a bit better.

If bushnell made a 5 mil turret with a zero stop for 1200 I'd probably buy a couple.

So my question is if both scopes have the same guts, is the ERS worth the extra $500.00?

Only the purchaser can answer that. To me, yes. I run a lot of tac matches and ran a 5 mil DMR a few years back, I got lost in the turret rotation a few times. 5 mils per rev isn't too big of a deal, but the lack of zero stop is. I run the XLRs now, 10 mils per rev and zero stops are a big improvement. There are a lot of good deals on used Bushnells

I went with the ERS but those options were worth it to me. I plan to use this scope a long time and didn't want to settle just because of price.

Depending on your use, the 10 mil turrets and zero stops may make or break the scope. For me those features are needed, but it depends on what suits your needs.

Those that have used both, is there any noticeable difference in glass quality? Also, isn't the tube hammer forged on the ERS line and just a normal forging on the lesser?

I like 10 mil turrets, its what I've had on every scope. Ironically I think a zero stop is more at home on a 5 mil turret scope than a 10 because your chances of getting lost on revolutions is greater. 10 mils will get you to 1000 with most calibers so you are almost always on the first revolution. With a 5 mil turret your potential to get lost is a bit better.

If bushnell made a 5 mil turret with a zero stop for 1200 I'd probably buy a couple.

This.

So what I've gathered is:
Hold off, save the extra cash and go with the ERS.

Thanks for the advice gents.

What I see expressed over and over is that you need to decide for yourself if 10 mil knobs and zero stop justifies spending $500 more of your cash. It's like a buying a car and deciding if you are going to pay for some extra luxury pack. Maybe these things will be useful to you, and maybe not.

If you plan on timed competetion or shooting in any other stressful conditions these could be priceless features, illiminating potential dialing error. On the other hand, if you are just into leisurely shooting on the range and you don't have money to burn, you can get the same general quality, absent of these features, for a significantly lower price tag.

I think the point is, and this applies to anything, that making a good choice between various products hinges on the buyer's ability to accurately access their needs.

Last edited:
Heh funny you should ask. I bought a ERS, from this site actually, and have it currently on my FN SPR. I got mine for 1600 and think not was well worth the price. Amazing optic. Save for it.

Isn't the 5mil version actually getting better, higher ratings than the 10mil version in the 2014 scope test thread?

I called Bushnell and spoke with a customer service representative. Aside from having 10 mil zero lock turrets they have the exact same insides.

Those that have used both, is there any noticeable difference in glass quality?

I have both and in my opinion the glass in the XRS is better. If you look at both scopes on 21X the XRS has a better sight picture. The eye box gets a little tight on the DMR on 21x.

I have both and in my opinion the glass in the XRS is better. If you look at both scopes on 21X the XRS has a better sight picture. The eye box gets a little tight on the DMR on 21x.

Sorry misread the title. No experience with the ERS

Just my opinion. I have a ers.
10 mil travel is great if you are shooting from 100 to over 1k on the same gun and scope set up w 308 cal ammo. I don't do that kind broad range w my 308. I just get a uni mount w 20moa build in. I was able to 0 in 100 m w 2 mil from bottom. That give me 8 mil to go up and another 2~3 mil over the top mark. I only shoot up to 600 yd now. I figure this way, I can still get to 1k w a couple click to spare. But if you are shooting wide range of distance, go with 10 mil travel.

Only the purchaser can answer that. To me, yes. I run a lot of tac matches and ran a 5 mil DMR a few years back, I got lost in the turret rotation a few times. 5 mils per rev isn't too big of a deal, but the lack of zero stop is. I run the XLRs now, 10 mils per rev and zero stops are a big improvement. There are a lot of good deals on used Bushnells

This...

I have 2 DMR's and love them both. For how I use them I cant justify the need for a 10mil turret & ZS at the extra cost. I do have to pay attention when shooting at distance with my 22lr. Its just like back in the "old days" running the MK4 and knowing how to use base lines, you can do it with confidence but you just have to use your brain a little more. However if I were using these in a match I would absolutely get the 10 mil and ZS.